Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Round of interviews is over

First Round of interviews is over

Nine candidates.

according to the Enquirer if there is consensus the Reds could hire without another go round of interviews.

Here's to hoping they pick the right guy. I don't have enough info to know who that might be but I can remain positive.

Reds interview two more
    BY KEVIN KELLY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds met Monday with two more candidates for the general manager's job.

Braves assistant GM Frank Wren and Reds special assistant to the GM Leland Maddox were the last of nine confirmed candidates to interview since the process began one week ago.

Team officials now are expected to decide if there is a consensus favorite or a need to conduct a second round of interviews with a group of finalists.

The seven other confirmed candidates are Reds director of international scouting and player development Johnny Almaraz, Phillies assistant GM Mike Arbuckle, Reds special adviser Jim Beattie, Twins assistant GM Wayne Krivsky, Reds interim GM Brad Kullman, Cardinals assistant GM John Mozeliak and White Sox director of player development David Wilder.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: First Round of interviews is over

I am firmly on the Mozeliak bandwagon - I'd rather have Jennings or Hill from the Marlins, but Mozeliak has my support since neither of them wanted to interview (or in Jennings case if the Reds chose not to interview him, cause we don't know)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I am firmly on the Mozeliak bandwagon
    Honestly, I don't know enough about the situation. The one thing that doesn't necessarily come through in a subordinate role(which is most of the interviewees) is developing the managerial, leadership and organizational skills needed to be successful as a major league GM. Shows how clueless the last regime was because over time it became obvious to everyone that DanO possessed none of the above yet was given the GM job by Uncle Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Honestly, I don't know enough about the situation. The one thing that doesn't necessarily come through in a subordinate role(which is most of the interviewees) is developing the managerial, leadership and organizational skills needed to be successful as a major league GM. Shows how clueless the last regime was because over time it became obvious to everyone that DanO possessed none of the above yet was given the GM job by Uncle Carl.
    Hey - I hear ya

I just like everything I've read about him (albeit, only two articles), but I like what he has done with the Cards and I like that Jocketty is very high on him. Not to mention he learned under Jocketty, and that is a plus.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Know what you guys mean. No matter how impressive a guy has been as an assistant whatever, if he hasn't been a good GM before, there's always the possibility he won't be up to the job. Unfortunately, there's no by-the-book method of identifying who the good GMs are going to be. So I'm just crossing my fingers, and hoping that -- unlike last time -- exceptional past performance in whatever role carries the day over interview skills.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I'm just crossing my fingers, and hoping that -- unlike last time -- exceptional past performance in whatever role carries the day over interview skills.
    unlike last time?

hohoho.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    unlike last time?

hohoho.
    Who are you pulling for? Who do you think will get the job?

At this point I'm pulling against others instead of for someone.
    Go Gators!

unlike last time?

hohoho.
    "History is merely a list of surprises. It can only prepare us to be surprised yet again."

Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    So I'm just crossing my fingers, and hoping that -- unlike last time -- exceptional past performance in whatever role carries the day over interview skills.
    That's what I can't figure out. DanO's interview skills? Every time I listened to him talk for more than 5 minutes made me want to put a bullet through my brain. I'm sure I am not alone in feeling that way. Of course the guy who hired him is no ball of fire either.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That's what I can't figure out. DanO's interview skills? Every time I listened to him talk for more than 5 minutes made me want to put a bullet through my brain. I'm sure I am not alone in feeling that way. Of course the guy who hired him is no ball of fire either.
    But of course. Lindner's a conservative businessman, Allen's a beancounter by profession. They never seemed to get what's unique about the business, much less get to the point where they knew a good baseball guy from a bad one. A candidate who showed up meticulously prepared (the infamous binders) and using the latest corporate obfuscation-speak probably did impress them. Not to mention O'Brien appeared to be the anti-Bowden in the very areas where Bowden had most displeased them -- unprofessional reputation, complaining about payroll, etc. Alas, he was not the anti-Bowden when it came to identifying good pitchers.
    Not all who wander are lost

I've been undecided during this whole process. I wanted DePodesta to get an interview in the worst way, but that isn't going to happen now.

As far as who's left, I'm leaning more and more towards Kullman. I keep seeing his name pop up when questions are asked about who the next GM should be. The last two BP chats both had questions about the Reds GM (ok, so maybe I submitted one of them), and both responses said Kullman should get the job. The more people I see mention his name, the more I lean that way. Joe Sheehan brought up a good point that Kullman seems to grasp the concept that you need a combination of both the skills philosophy and the stats philosophy to be successful.

Toss in the fact that he's a Miami grad, and he's got my vote.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

I will not be suicidal if Brad Kullman becomes GM. In fact, i think he has promise, I do not believe, however, that he is the man to rebuild this club. It will take some experience and some reputation to do that and Kullman doesn't have either IMHO.

My hope is that a more experienced, respected individual takes the reigns and, not knowing what BCast will do, I think that will be the case. I want Wayne K., but we can live with anyone on the list (with certain exceptions) because we have seen the fiery Hell that Dan O'Brien was and we can be sure that we will not pass that way again under this administration. Amen. (I hope).
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Who are you pulling for?
    someone who will strive to put the Reds five years ahead of everyone else, not just bring them into the 21st century.

and a clean house, too.

someone who will strive to put the Reds five years ahead of everyone else, not just bring them into the 21st century.

and a clean house, too.
    So who would that be besides yourself?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?