Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...70013/-1/CINCI

Reds narrow GM search
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    The Reds expect to have a new general manager in place by Friday.

Whom that will be remains unknown. The original list of nine candidates has been trimmed to a select few who will be called back for a second interview.

Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini was asked today how many names are on the list.

“It’s somewhere in the neighborhood (of two or three),” Castellini said.

Wayne Krivsky, the Minnesota assistant general manager, and Jim Beattie, a Reds special advisor, are likely among the finalists. Both declined comment today.

“I’m going to let it come from (chief operating officer) John Allen,” Krivsky said. “He’s scheduling things.”

Allen did not return a call this afternoon.

Krivsky was the choice of nearly everyone in the organization in 2003, when Dan O’Brien got the job. Then-CEO Carl Lindner overruled his front office people and hired O’Brien.

One candidate who won’t be on the list of finalists is Philadelphia assistant GM Mike Arbuckle.

“They called me and said they were going in a different direction,” Arbuckle said this afternoon.

Two other candidates – Atlanta assistant GM Frank Wren and Reds director of international scouting and player development Johnny Almaraz – said they had not heard anything from the club since their interviews.

Other candidates:

• Brad Kullman, the Reds interim GM

• Leland Maddox, a Reds scout and former scouting director.

• David Wilder, Chicago White Sox assistant GM.

• John Mozeliak, St. Louis assistant GM.

Calls to Kullman, Maddox, Wilder and Mozeliak were not returned this afternoon.

Castellini said he’s confident the Reds will get a good GM.

“We felt like we had the best people available in,” he said. “We were very impressed with the candidates.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

If Beattie's hired, the Reds are back to square one. I smell Oriolehood on the Reds horizon. Don't know about anyone else. Cardinal-esque payroll, Pittsburgh -esque talent.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

And the plot thins...
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I am expecting Krivsky to get the job.

Kullman or Mozeliak is probably the third name on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    If Beattie's hired, the Reds are back to square one. I smell Oriolehood on the Reds horizon. Don't know about anyone else. Cardinal-esque payroll, Pittsburgh -esque talent.
    You should have that thing checked.... it makes you depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You should have that thing checked.... it makes you depressed.
    Be honest. How do you feel about Beattie as GM? Pretty bloody underwhelmed, right?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I'm holding out hope for Wren.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

i agree, if beattie is hired its gonna be tough to be excited about the reds. just sets us back big time.

Be honest. How do you feel about Beattie as GM? Pretty bloody underwhelmed, right?
    Sorry, I'm a half full type of guy.

Pssst... I don't think he'll get the job.. otherwise he would not have been tagging along already.

Wren or Krivsky is my pick.

all i know is, IMO, all the good that came from the new owners, the firing of obrien, et all, will be taken away by the hiring of beattie. it may even put us back further. cause at least obrien was 2 years into his plan(good or bad), he had at least got some things going. starting all over with the same crap would just send me over the edge

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Pssst... I don't think he'll get the job.. otherwise he would not have been tagging along already.

Wren or Krivsky is my pick.
    I've agreed along that the logic says that Beattie won't get it because of his "tagging along."

But then I realize that I'm applying logic to a Reds' undertaking, and that's just going to get me in trouble.

I am fairly certain that Beattie will not get the job. He might be a finalist, but it is unlikely he'll get past that point.

I fully expect Krivsky to be named the GM on Friday afternoon, but I guess we'll find out.

What's wrong with Kullman? He got us Harang and Claussen for Aaron Boone and Jose Guillen. That's looking mighty good right now.

I say Kullman or Krivsky gets it.

I would guess if it is 2 or 3 it may be down to Krivsky, Beattie and maybe Wren. Out of those 3 I hope it's Krivsky.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    What's wrong with Kullman? He got us Harang and Claussen for Aaron Boone and Jose Guillen. That's looking mighty good right now.

I say Kullman or Krivsky gets it.
    i think something that may be going against him is him being a good employee. he has stated many times he wants to stay with the reds even if he doesnt get the job. i think thats worked against his chance of getting the job. that and the fact he has been in the organization(right or wrong) that hurts him

Turn Off Ads?