Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

Re: Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

Dan O went to OU, worked for the Angels, Rangers and Astros.

I'm more local than Dan O'Brien and I haven't lived in Ohio in 24 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Dan O went to OU, worked for the Angels, Rangers and Astros.

I'm more local than Dan O'Brien and I haven't lived in Ohio in 24 years.
    I agree!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Ok, you made me look it up. DanO lived in the Columbus area as a youngster, went to high school in suburban Columbus, then went to grad school at Ohio U. His wife also is from Columbus and went to law school locally in Ohio.

Don't recall if Carl L referred to these local roots when announcing DanO in 2003, but wouldn't be surprised if he did. Reportedly, others in the organization did not want Dan in 2003, but wanted Krivsky.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-07-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Ok, you made me look it up. DanO lived in the Columbus area as a youngster, went to high school in suburban Columbus, then went to grad school at Ohio U. His wife also is from Columbus and went to law school locally in Ohio.

Don't recall if Carl L referred to these local roots when announcing DanO in 2003, but wouldn't be surprised if he did.
    Well I went to HS in Cincinnati the late 70's and attended OU and UC in the early 80's and my wife was born and raised in Cincinnati and went to Miami.

But my dad wasn't a GM so I never got an interview.

Well I went to HS in Cincinnati the late 70's and attended OU and UC in the early 80's and my wife was born and raised in Cincinnati and went to Miami.

But my dad wasn't a GM so I never got an interview.
    You would have been a much better choice. Your wife would have been a better choice, too. Heck, your cat would have given more understandable interviews.
    Last edited by Red Heeler; 02-07-2006 at 08:12 PM.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

You could say the Reds gave him the bottle so to speak.
    Wow
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I'm still curious why Depodesta and Ng weren't interviewed.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

the reds will not be announcing the finalists and will just announce the winner when it is decided per marc's blog. pretty funny, maybe beattie was one of them and they read our thoughts on this board

OR, there was a guy who was a finalists who didnt want his name to go public, so if he isnt the guy, they dont want his name out

I think it has something to do with the notion that the team has basically already picked their winner and might not even be interviewing anyone a second time.

Expect the new GM(in all likelyhood Krivsky) to be announced as soon as tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I think it has something to do with the notion that the team has basically already picked their winner and might not even be interviewing anyone a second time.

Expect the new GM(in all likelyhood Krivsky) to be announced as soon as tomorrow.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

No problem. If something changes here, don't shoot the messenger, but I've heard from some pretty reliable locations that they already have their GM and are close to announcing it. Whether that means tomorrow or by the end of the week remains to be seen but it certainly could happen tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    On Marc's blog he goes into a discussion that he and RCast had about the whole moneyball/sabermetrics thing. He is all for employing some of the moneyball philosophy but isn't so sure that saber is the saviour. He believes that using stats is one way to go about finding value but there are other methods and is looking to employ all of them. Maybe he things Depodesta and Ng are a bit too stats oriented and want some one with all round experience.

I keep seeing Kullman's name mentioned as a favorite, and I just can't see it. I like the guy and what he did in 2003, but would he be in the running for any other GM position in baseball? Although he got competent returns (something we are not used to) in the 2003 fire sale, he remains a fairly senior member of a failed management team that has not generated a single winning team in 5 years despite two different GMs, three field managers, and the best offense in the NL. I don't blame the guy for the failures, but I also don't think he deserves to be promoted based on his experience and very limited successes. All of the outside candidates, especially Krivsky, Wren, Wilder, and Mozeliak, have some association with winning results. Arbuckle and Beattie are tougher cases to argue, but at least the Phillies, Montreal, and Seattle have had some success on the field or farm system that can be traced to them. Kullman has a legacy of years with a losing franchise learning from bad GMs balanced against three competent trades: Harang and Valentine for Guillen; Claussen for Boone; and Dumantrait and Pelland for Williamson. I think he should be kept around to learn from the next GM, who I hope will be a good one. Kullman may be the best in-house candidate, but that isn't saying much.

I'm hoping for Krivsky or Wren. I wouldn't lose much sleep over a Mozeliak or Wilder pick. If it's Beattie, I may cry like a little girl.

I'll bet it's Krivsky.

Everyone in the local media wanted him the last time so John Allen cast his lot with him.

Ninety percent of the local media is still in the corner of Krivsky.

Casual fans and most of the local media would be happy if Tracy Jones got the job as long as Marty and Hal told'em that's who they wanted.

Well it seems Krivsky is still on the list, Marty Hal and John are still here. It's pretty hard to bet against Krivsky at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    I'm still wondering about that also Nd2.

Nobody is more proud of Cincinnati Red Tradition than me.

Why can't we have pride in our past and still build for the future?

Turn Off Ads?