Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

Re: Castellini trims list to "two or three" - Arbuckle confirms he's out

From the Philadelphia Daily News:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13818077.htm

Mike Arbuckle thought the sixth time might be the charm. No such luck.

Arbuckle, the Phillies' assistant general manager in charge of scouting and player development, was informed by Reds owner Bob Castellini that he would not be a finalist for their vacant GM job. The rumble from Cincinnati was that the Reds would opt for Jim Beattie, who has experience as a GM - something they value.

Arbuckle might have that experience, too, had the Phillies hired him instead of Ed Wade in 1998. Arbuckle was passed over again in November, after Wade was fired. He also has lost in his candidacies in Pittsburgh, Toronto and Boston.

He exited his interview with Castellini in Cincinnati upbeat and optimistic.

"I felt very good coming out of there," said Arbuckle, 55. "I'm a little discouraged. I thought this would be a very good fit."
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Chicago's Daily Herald:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=151838
    Sounds like White Sox exec Dave Wilder will lose out on the Cincinnati job to someone with GM experience. That’s bad news for Wilder, but good news for the Sox.

“If and when David — or Rick Hahn — becomes a GM, it’s going to make my job that much harder,’’ Sox GM Kenny Williams said. “They’re good at what they do, and they’re going to be out there looking for what we’re looking for, and it’s going to make it tougher for me.’’
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

This is a little more fleshed out version of the base note article with a comment from Krivsky...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...602080348/1078

Reds close in on GM
    Decision likely by end of week
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds expect to have a new general manager in place by Friday, chief executive officer Bob Castellini said Tuesday.

The finalists from a list of nine candidates who interviewed will be called back for second interviews.

"It's somewhere in the neighborhood" of two or three finalists, Castellini said.

Wayne Krivsky, the Minnesota Twins' assistant general manager, and Jim Beattie, a Reds special adviser, are among the finalists, according to a baseball source. Both declined to comment Tuesday.

"I'm going to let it come from (Reds chief operating officer) John Allen," Krivsky said. "He's scheduling things."

Allen did not return a call Tuesday. But through a spokesman, Allen said the Reds would have no more announcements until the general manager is named.

Krivsky was the choice of many within the Reds organization in 2003, but Dan O'Brien got the job. O'Brien was fired Jan. 23.

Krivsky has been with the Twins since 1994 and helped make the small-market team competitive. Beattie was executive vice president of the Baltimore Orioles.

Mike Arbuckle, the Philadelphia Phillies assistant general manager, said Tuesday that he's out of the running: "They called me and said they were going in a different direction."

Two others - Atlanta assistant general manager Frank Wren and Johnny Almaraz, Reds director of international scouting and player development - said they've heard nothing since their interviews.

The other four candidates did not return calls Tuesday:

Brad Kullman, the Reds interim general manager.

Leland Maddox, Reds scout and former scouting director.

David Wilder, Chicago White Sox assistant general manager.

John Mozeliak, St. Louis assistant general manager.

Castellini said he's confident the Reds will make the right hire.

"We felt like we had the best people available in," he said.

E-mail jfay@enquirer.com
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden
    Why can't we have pride in our past and still build for the future?

Good question.

Why not a step out in a new direction?
    Go Gators!

To respond to a few of the precious posts: Ng likes the Dodgers and is happy there, and DePodesta, even for those who believe wholeheartedly in sabremetrics is the worst people manager in the world. He has absolutely NO comunications skills. He wont take phone calls ever. He is a great second banana, but not the one you want fielding offers or info ffrom his scouting dept, nor communicating to a scouting dept.

Wren is not liked by Schuerholz which as far as I am concerned is about as much of an idictman to his ability as I need.

Beattie is a good business man, but not a good baseball man. Could be fine, but most likely not for the Reds. They have John Allen they dont need another good businessman.

Please let it be Krivsky, please let it be Krivsky, Please let it be Krivsky....

I'll bet it's Krivsky.

Everyone in the local media wanted him the last time so John Allen cast his lot with him.

Ninety percent of the local media is still in the corner of Krivsky.

Casual fans and most of the local media would be happy if Tracy Jones got the job as long as Marty and Hal told'em that's who they wanted.

Well it seems Krivsky is still on the list, Marty Hal and John are still here. It's pretty hard to bet against Krivsky at this point.
    Well what do you know???
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-09-2006 at 03:13 AM.

Did you bet on him though?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Did you bet on him though?
    Nah, I was kinda pulling for Kullman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget
    He is all for employing some of the moneyball philosophy but isn't so sure that saber is the saviour. He believes that using stats is one way to go about finding value but there are other methods and is looking to employ all of them.
    I'm all for using any available means for finding value and judging talent, but I'm somewhat concerned if RCast isn't so sure about saber being the saviour of this team. IIRC, the Twins like to dive into the Rule V pool and I can see Krivsky doing the same thing here. Whatever method is used, I hope it's a good one.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Well what do you know???
    Be careful. You'll hurt yourself that way.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Be careful. You'll hurt yourself that way.
    Too late...My back hurts and I think I may have broken my arm.

Turn Off Ads?