Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ouch! Bill Cower....

Re: Ouch! Bill Cower....

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    Yet the Bengals have finished ahead of them in the standings in two of the past three seasons.

As for the playoff victory, and I hesitate to bring this up again, but Kimo was the team MVP for that game. Even my Steeler-fan friends admit that that win came with an asterisk. Not denying that the Steelers have had LOTS more success than the Bengals 1991-2002, just saying that that particular win may not be the best "case in point".
    They sure have and I'm sure the Steelers will have that inscribed on their Super Bowl rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yet the Bengals have finished ahead of them in the standings in two of the past three seasons.

As for the playoff victory, and I hesitate to bring this up again, but Kimo was the team MVP for that game. Even my Steeler-fan friends admit that that win came with an asterisk. Not denying that the Steelers have had LOTS more success than the Bengals 1991-2002, just saying that that particular win may not be the best "case in point".
    You "hesitate" to bring that up again? Good lord. Bengals fans will be quite freely bringing that up for years. If the Bengals don't play up to expectations or if fans so much as perceive the slightest deviation in Palmer's skill level, mobility, or QB rating, it'll be a "Kimo sucks" whine-fest all over again.

In a league where playoff teams can flip to a 6-10 record fairly easily the next season, it's must be comforting to know that you already have a pre-built excuse if things don't go as planned for the Bengals.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

One thing the Steelers showed with Indy's and Cincy's no huddle, get to the line of scrimmage and do your Mick Jagger moves while throwing out an audible here and there and taking the play clock to the full .30 seconds is defenses will wait till 10 seconds before calling their defensive schemes. In the meantime, the defense will give the quarterback so many different looks that it will confuse them.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

A rivalry is a good thing. If the Steelers now care enough to even think about the Bengals, then Marvin must be doing something right. It's a compliment to have them acknowledge the Bengals existence on a day when they should be celebrating their victory over the Seahawks.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    They sure have and I'm sure the Steelers will have that inscribed on their Super Bowl rings.
    No, they won't, but while you're hyping their dominance, I was just pointing out that, over the past three seasons, it hasn't completely the case, that's all.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    You "hesitate" to bring that up again? Good lord. Bengals fans will be quite freely bringing that up for years. If the Bengals don't play up to expectations or if fans so much as perceive the slightest deviation in Palmer's skill level, mobility, or QB rating, it'll be a "Kimo sucks" whine-fest all over again.

In a league where playoff teams can flip to a 6-10 record fairly easily the next season, it's must be comforting to know that you already have a pre-built excuse if things don't go as planned for the Bengals.
    Yes, I hesitated to bring it up again, because I realized that it may lead to another pissing match. I apologize for even mentioning it. As for it being a built-in excuse for future failures, I'm sure you're right. Every team has it share of fans who will whine and make excuses, and the Bengals are no different. For what it's worth, though, I was speaking of that one game only.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

No, they won't, but while you're hyping their dominance, I was just pointing out that, over the past three seasons, it hasn't completely the case, that's all.
    I'm not hyping anything. All I'm pointing out is that over the last decade or so, the Steelers have dominated the Bengals. I'm no Steelers fan but it should be obvious to even the most myopic Bengal fan that the Steelers have dominated that series. Even over the last 3 years they have only been 2-5 against them - 2-4 if you don't want to count the playoff game. That is about as much of a rivalry as Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. If you don't believe me, check out the Bengals' web site and see for yourself. Sure, the Bengals have improved and they actually beat the Steelers once this year. But that doesn't put them on the Steelers' level yet. When the Bengals start dominating the Steelers like the Steelers have dominated them, then it might be a rivalry. But until that time, if you're talking rivalry, talk about the Browns.

http://www.bengals.com/team/history/alltime_results.asp
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Bush League hing for Cowher to do, but not surprising.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    If the Bengals don't play up to expectations or if fans so much as perceive the slightest deviation in Palmer's skill level, mobility, or QB rating, it'll be a "Kimo sucks" whine-fest all over again.
    If a Bengal player had done that to Big Ben, you'd be whining too.

It's not like it's a minor injury.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 02-08-2006 at 07:05 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    One thing the Steelers showed with Indy's and Cincy's no huddle, get to the line of scrimmage and do your Mick Jagger moves while throwing out an audible here and there and taking the play clock to the full .30 seconds is defenses will wait till 10 seconds before calling their defensive schemes. In the meantime, the defense will give the quarterback so many different looks that it will confuse them.
    The Steelers showed NOTHING on how to stop Carson Palmer. The best Qb in the NFL. It's funny how people argue now that Carson has such great weapons and such a dominant line. It's total bs. TJ was one of the most hated players on the team before Carson. The line was maligned and blamed for Kitna holding onto the ball.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I'm not hyping anything. All I'm pointing out is that over the last decade or so, the Steelers have dominated the Bengals. I'm no Steelers fan but it should be obvious to even the most myopic Bengal fan that the Steelers have dominated that series. Even over the last 3 years they have only been 2-5 against them - 2-4 if you don't want to count the playoff game. That is about as much of a rivalry as Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner. If you don't believe me, check out the Bengals' web site and see for yourself. Sure, the Bengals have improved and they actually beat the Steelers once this year. But that doesn't put them on the Steelers' level yet. When the Bengals start dominating the Steelers like the Steelers have dominated them, then it might be a rivalry. But until that time, if you're talking rivalry, talk about the Browns.

So it's only a rivalry when one team dominates another?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    If a Bengal player had done that to Big Ben, you'd be whining too.

It's not like it's a minor injury.
    TB, a Bengals player DID run into Ben's knee. Just like Kimo, it wasn't on purpose and not only didn't I whine about it, I didn't think there should have been a penalty called on the play and I thought it was immature for Roethlisberger to act like it was a dirty hit post-game.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

All I can say is that Mr. Cowher has put some pretty big bulletin board material for Marvin to use next year. With a healthy Palmer, free agency, and another good draft, he should be eating those words next year. Forget the past, the Bengals must be the Steelers' biggest rival or else why would Cowher take the time on his biggest day ever in football to take a shot at them.

Was Michigan-Ohio St. not a rivalry in the '90s when Cooper was around? How about now with Tressel turning the tables on Michigan and winning 4 out of 5? I think your classification of a rivalry is a bit skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    So it's only a rivalry when one team dominates another?
    No, just the opposite. You Bengal fans really think that the Steelers see you as their big rival? They see you as a pest, an annoyance, a fly buzzing about their faces that they could swat down anytime they liked. Perhaps when the Bengals start winning more than they lose against the Steelers then they might see it as a rivalry. But you have to do better than 2-5 A.M. (After Marvin). I have no doubt that Bengals fans see the Steelers as a rival. Just like every team in the NFC East views Dallas as their big rival. Or like everyone in the AFC West sees the Raiders as their big rival. But do Dallas and the Raiders see those teams as their rivals? Some yes, some no. To be a true rivalry, it has to be mutual. You know why Cowher did that? Not because the Bengals are the Steelers great and powerful rivals, but he wanted to poke some fun at Bengal Fan's expense knowing they would react exactly the way they are reacting now. You think Cowher doesn't know that his remarks could be used as motivation? He's smart enough to know - as is Marvin - that if the Bengals need a bulletin board to get up for the Steelers, there's something seriously wrong with them.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?