Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ouch! Bill Cower....

Re: Ouch! Bill Cower....

Cowher's won-lost record speaks for itself. Add to that he has taken the Steelers to six AFC championships and two Super Bowls in 14 years.

The coach is Hall of Fame material.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    The Steelers showed NOTHING on how to stop Carson Palmer. The best Qb in the NFL. It's funny how people argue now that Carson has such great weapons and such a dominant line. It's total bs. TJ was one of the most hated players on the team before Carson. The line was maligned and blamed for Kitna holding onto the ball.
    C'mon Ced.

Palmer posted two games in 2005 in which his QB rating was below 86.0. Pittsburgh was one of them (58.3). Palmer is an excellent QB but is neither invincible or infallable. As with any QB, the right gameplan from the right team can make him look bad.

Secondly, the Cinci offense has a bunch of top-notch skill weapons. Charles Johnson, Rudi Johnson, Housh, Henry (well, he's stupid, but skilled), etc. I hardly see how Housh was "hated" considering that he was mostly a backup during his first two seasons and didn't even really play in 2003. The guy has approached 1000 yards each of the past two seasons. Yeah. He sucks.

The Bengals offensive line isn't the best in the game from a pass blocking perspective, but their deficiencies rarely come into play because Lewis and Co. have designed the offense to allow Palmer to release the ball quickly. They can execute that gameplan because they have receivers able get open (that's a BIG DEAL) to pick up a goodly number of yards after the catch and because Palmer is an accurate QB. And that O-Line better be able to pass block at least a little bit considering that Palmer is nearly the textbook definition of "Pocket Passer".

I hardly see how they don't run block well unless you think that Rudi Johnson is some kind of slicing scatback who needs only a sliver of daylight to break big runs. But no. The guy needs legit holes to pick up over 1,450 yards a season and the line provides them.

Carson Palmer is a heck of a good QB, but that offense isn't "Carson Palmer and 10 Stiffs". It's not even close.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    No, just the opposite. You Bengal fans really think that the Steelers see you as their big rival? They see you as a pest, an annoyance, a fly buzzing about their faces that they could swat down anytime they liked. Perhaps when the Bengals start winning more than they lose against the Steelers then they might see it as a rivalry. But you have to do better than 2-5 A.M. (After Marvin). I have no doubt that Bengals fans see the Steelers as a rival. Just like every team in the NFC East views Dallas as their big rival. Or like everyone in the AFC West sees the Raiders as their big rival. But do Dallas and the Raiders see those teams as their rivals? Some yes, some no. To be a true rivalry, it has to be mutual. You know why Cowher did that? Not because the Bengals are the Steelers great and powerful rivals, but he wanted to poke some fun at Bengal Fan's expense knowing they would react exactly the way they are reacting now. You think Cowher doesn't know that his remarks could be used as motivation? He's smart enough to know - as is Marvin - that if the Bengals need a bulletin board to get up for the Steelers, there's something seriously wrong with them.
    If it isn't mutual it sure as hell is about to be. Pittsburgh would be ignorant to think the Bengals are going anywhere as long as Lewis is at the helms and Palmer is able to regain form. Yeah, the rivalry might not have the history of Browns-Steelers but the future looks about as bright as any rivalry the NFL has to offer.

And as a point of reference, Denver and Oakland, widely considered one of the best rivalries in the league has an all-time series of 54-37-2 in favor of OAK. That 40.6% winning percentage Denver sports is lower than the Bengals' 40.8% all-time win percentage against the Steelers.

TJ is a good player. The point is that he became that great player when he actually had a QB that can spread the ball around and get the ball out quickly. I'm not making up the Tj stuff, he was hated around here. He made bone headed plays with punts and dropped passes. I'm just saying a great Qb makes the whole team better.

And I think it's alot of both. It's not just WR's getting open, it's Carson's unique vision and their ability. Wasn't it downright amazing how much pressure Kitna seemed to be under when he came into the game? Wasn't it amazing how Lebeau and the Pittsburgh defense was supposed to have adjusted during that game, suddenly Chad and Tj were covered for the first time all year? It was all about Carson being gone.

In my opinion.
    Last edited by Cedric; 02-09-2006 at 01:47 AM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

TJ is a good player. The point is that he became that great player when he actually had a QB that can spread the ball around and get the ball out quickly. I'm not making up the Tj stuff, he was hated around here. He made bone headed plays with punts and dropped passes. I'm just saying a great Qb makes the whole team better.

And I think it's alot of both. It's not just WR's getting open, it's Carson's unique vision and their ability. Wasn't it downright amazing how much pressure Kitna seemed to be under when he came into the game? Wasn't it amazing how Lebeau and the Pittsburgh defense was supposed to have adjusted during that game, suddenly Chad and Tj were covered for the first time all year? It was all about Carson being gone.

In my opinion.
    I hate to tell you this, Ced, but Chad Johnson put up 1,355 yards in 2003 and his Yards per Catch totals in 2002 and 2003 with Jon Kitna at the helm were the highest of his career. CJ caught 4, 5, and 4 passes in the three games against Pitt this year (0 TD's). He specifially complimented Ike Taylor after the first game- which was high highest Yards output versus Pitt this season.

Again, I think Palmer is a heck of a QB. I just think you're not giving the rest of the Bengals offense enough credit. They're a very skilled group. If they weren't, that defense would have put them below .500 this season.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    C'mon Ced.

Palmer posted two games in 2005 in which his QB rating was below 86.0. Pittsburgh was one of them (58.3).
    Ah C'mon. Tell us who the other team was.

Hint: They gave him his worst QB rating in the entire season.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

If the Head Coach spends time in his Super Bowl speech to the fans starting a cheer to take a dig at an opponent they faced a month ago, I'd say that team views it as a rivalry.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed
    With a healthy Palmer...
    That's huge, folks. The guy's knee was turned into jello and there's no guarantee he's the same QB next year. If not, can be drop and hurl like Dan Marino?

CP has age on his side. It is said he has the will to come back. But, if you ask me, it's presumptuous to predict he'll be healthy next year. I will be on pins and needles until I see him take some game hits. It's a long offseason.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

If Willis McGahee can recover from the knee injury he suffered, and suit up for an NFL team as a starting RB, Palmer should be fine. That of course is dependant on him working his butt off in rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    If Willis McGahee can recover from the knee injury he suffered, and suit up for an NFL team as a starting RB, Palmer should be fine. That of course is dependant on him working his butt off in rehab.
    Hopefully he will. But McGahee had to sit out almost a year before he came back. Most people think Palmer won't be available to start the regular season. It could be like the Griffey watch of a few years ago. When will he come back? Can he play next week? What is the doc not telling us? Is the doc who operated on Palmer a quack? Carson is not your savior? Not to mention that Kitna may leave via free agency which leaves the Bengals with the magic that is Doug Johnson and Craig Krenzel. And the #2 receiver may be doing some time. Plus the defense is still Swiss cheese and they have a way tougher schedule than this year. They may do good just to finish 9-7. If I'm Marvin Lewis, I'm not getting much sleep at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I grant that it's possible, but what mix of surgical skill, genetics, attitude, planetary alignment and dumb luck ensures a complete and successful rehab? Different bodies, different results are possible, but I hope your are right, Ochre.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Hopefully he will. But McGahee had to sit out almost a year before he came back. Most people think Palmer won't be available to start the regular season. It could be like the Griffey watch of a few years ago. When will he come back? Can he play next week? What is the doc not telling us? Is the doc who operated on Palmer a quack? Carson is not your savior? Not to mention that Kitna may leave via free agency which leaves the Bengals with the magic that is Doug Johnson and Craig Krenzel. And the #2 receiver may be doing some time. Plus the defense is still Swiss cheese and they have a way tougher schedule than this year. They may do good just to finish 9-7. If I'm Marvin Lewis, I'm not getting much sleep at night.
    And you know all this before free agency even starts? I guess the "Swiss cheese" defense won't have any upgrades in the offseason? I guess I should just not worry about next year, it's over already.

Henry isn't the #2 WR either.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    Ah C'mon. Tell us who the other team was.

Hint: They gave him his worst QB rating in the entire season.
    That would be the illustrious Cleveland Browns. While not sacking Palmer, they held him to full-game season lows of 93 Yards passing and a 48.1 completion percentage.

--Ted Williams

And you know all this before free agency even starts? I guess the "Swiss cheese" defense won't have any upgrades in the offseason? I guess I should just not worry about next year, it's over already.

Henry isn't the #2 WR either.
    Besides Henry not being the #2 receiver, what part of that wasn't accurate? Should the Bengals start selling playoff tickets for next season now? It's tough to fix a defense in one season, ask the Colts about that. And I didn't say their season was over just that they have some problems that need to be addressed if they want to continue being a good team. Even if Kitna comes back are you comfortable with him running the offense? After all the Bengals fans who weren't blaming Kimo and the refs for the playoff loss were blaming Kitna.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

All this over a lame chant? The Who-Dey chant is cheesy and emberrassing to be honest with you. Why not a disco song....like the Chargers had in the late 70's?

Who cares about chants.....all i want is wins from the Bengals.
    PITT had their Bengals like decades in the 50's and 60's..... then began dominating in 1972. Their only brief respites had been in the late 80's and early 90s.... until Cowher showed up in 1992.

The PITT way is uncanny how they can plug in players and replace FA at will.
    How is it that LeBeau could not develop a dominant defense with Cincy from 1984-1991 and then when he came back in 1997?

I mean it was the same scheme....................and his defenses, AFTER finishing NO. 1 in NFL in total defense in 1983..... went down to dead last by 1985... with basically the same players ( minus Jim LeClair and Ken Riley)

Just like us Reds fans want this org. to develop their own players and either look to the OAK or ATL model on how to draft/develop.......me as a Bengal fan for 30 years wants this org. to look at PITT and get it done the same way.
    There is no excuse not to. Same family owner/small market/bad stadium type BS that MB spouted in the 90's...... PITT had same situation but did not whine about it.
    They just hired a coach with balls .... who the players knew had control.
    Plus having a legit GM and Director of Player Personnel.... Not Jim Lippin-whatever ( a high school coach??! ) as your Director of Player Personnel.
    That was worse than hiring Dan O'Brien.

Turn Off Ads?