Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sources: Beattie likely Reds GM

Sources: Beattie likely Reds GM

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...svc=7&cxcat=29

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

There are strong indications that the Cincinnati Reds will name Jim Beattie as the team's general manager, The Dayton Daily News has learned.

Two reliable sources close to the situation said it was their understanding that Beattie, 50, is the choice to replace fired Dan O'Brien and that the Reds will announce the decision in the next few days.

Nine candidates were interviewed and several have been told they wouldn't get the job, including interim GM Brad Kullman, Reds special advisor Leland Maddox and Philadelphia assistant general manager Mike Arbuckle.

It would not be surprising.

Beattie was the first person new owner Bob Castellini hired, naming him a special advisor the same day he officially took over as the team's CEO. And he immediately named him as a candidate for the GM's chair.

In addition, Castellini has told friends he preferred a person who had been a general manager. Only Beattie and Atlanta assistant general manager Frank Wren have GM experience among the candidates.

Wren was general manager of the Baltimore Orioles for one year while Beattie has been general manager in Montreal and Baltimore.

In addition, Boston Red Sox executive Larry Lucchino is a confidante to Castellini and highly recommends Beattie.

Beattie returned a telephone call but preferred to make no comments. The Reds said they would make no further comments on the situation until the general manager is named.

Originally, Castellini said there might be a second round of interviews with two or three of the candidates, but that might not happen.

Wayne Krivsky, Minnesota assistant general manager and the No. 2 finisher when O'Brien was hired before the 2004 season, was a strong candidate this time around. He did not return phone calls Tuesday after returning all calls earlier in the process.

"I'm not surprised at all," said one source close to the situation. "Everybody thought it was curious that Beattle would be hired as a special advisor before a new GM was hired. Now we know why."

Until the end of this season, Beattie teamed in Baltimore with Mike Flanagan to run the Orioles baseball operations, a position they shared since December, 2002.

Before that, Beattie served as Expos general manager from 1995 through 2001.

Beattie also served six years as Seattle's Director of Player Development at the same time Lou Piniella was manager of the Mariners. Castellini would like nothing better than to bring Piniella in as Reds' manager, perhaps for the 2007 season.

One thing Beattle has in his favor that O'Brien didn't is that Beattie played the game. He was drafted and signed by the New York Yankees in 1975 and pitched nine major-league seasons with the Yankees and Mariners, going 52-87 with a 4.17 earned run average in 203 games.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sources: Beattie likely Reds GM

There is a lot of conflicting information out there. I'm not so sure about this whole situation at this point, as I've now heard different things from different individuals within the last several hours alone, including this published report.

If Beattie is hired, we could well have an unfolding disaster. How could Castellini possibly justify to the fans (who he claims to care about so much) the hiring of a guy who has shown little evidence of being a good MLB general manager?

It seems awfully strange to me that ESPN confirmed the idea that the team was leaning toward Krivsky, yet this makes it sound like it was likely going to be Beattie all along. Who is getting what information and from where?
    Last edited by CincyRedsFan30; 02-08-2006 at 12:22 AM.
    And this one belongs to the Reds!!!- Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman

From all the named mentioned I will be very disappointed to end up with Beattie
    Go Gators!

The two leaks so far have come from the two most unreliable sources for REDS information Peter Gammons and Hal McCoy. Although McCoy tends to be closer to the truth than Gammons most times. If nothing it helps them sell papers or Insider subscriptions.

I really hope this is wrong. Here is a quote from Ken Rosenthal that says pretty much exactly what is wrong with Beattie.

The Reds need to do better than Beattie, whose low-key, deliberate style is too similar to that of Dan O'Brien's.

If this information turns out to be correct, I apologize in advance for getting the hopes of the Krivsky supporters up. I really believed it was likely going to be given to him.

I wonder if Beattie is a friend of Hal's?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I don't think I've ever seen so much disagreement among various publications about what is going on. Usually you might see one jump out there and say that someone "likely" will be hired and the others seem to just sit tight and wait. Not so here:

Enquirer: Down to Krivsky and Beattie. Additional interviews are coming.
    Post: No list released today. Will wait for announcement.
    ESPN: Likely leaning toward Krivsky.
    DDN: Beattie likely to get the job.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

To quote one of my favorite movies...

"Rage....Taking....Over...."
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I don't think I've ever seen so much disagreement among various publications about what is going on. Usually you might see one jump out there and say that someone "likely" will be hired and the others seem to just sit tight and wait. Not so here:

Enquirer: Down to Krivsky and Beattie. Additional interviews are coming.
    Post: No list released today. Will wait for announcement.
    ESPN: Likely leaning toward Krivsky.
    DDN: Beattie likely to get the job.
    We'll all be surprised when Ron Oester sweeps in and gets offered the job.

if beattie gets the job, that will just about do it for me with this team. what another 30 years till cast will be selling the team? hey, i will still only be in my 50s, so there is still hope this would be THE WORST possible thing ever. why even fire dan obrien if this is who you are going to replace him with. cast will be hated more than lindner ever was before the reds even play one game with him as owner

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    We'll all be surprised when Ron Oester sweeps in and gets offered the job.

This all has to be some sort of terrible, sick nightmare.

Is the board undergoing "Beattie As GM Outcry Preperation" right now?

Why is it that Im scared to go to sleep and wake up and this thread has a bold Sticky written in front of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    I really hope this is wrong. Here is a quote from Ken Rosenthal that says pretty much exactly what is wrong with Beattie.
    The Reds need to do better than Beattie, whose low-key, deliberate style is too similar to that of Dan O'Brien's.
    That quote made me cringe as well. I was pulling for either Krivsky or Kullman.

Turn Off Ads?