Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sources: Beattie likely Reds GM

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Sources: Beattie likely Reds GM

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I actually don't have a problem with Beattie, though it sounds like I'm in a distinct minority. I don't think he's ever been allowed to run a major league baseball team. First he had the Expos when that franchise went into full divestiture mode and then he was part of that neutered two-headed monster in Baltimore.

I mentioned this before, but it's possible he could be what many hoped DanO would be - genial, prepared and bright.

Maybe he isn't. Mind you, he wouldn't be my pick. I'd be looking to lift a capo regime from Atlanta, St. Louis or Minnesota.
    At least with Jim Beattie you don't have that scary unknown that you had with DanO, and that you'd have with Mozeilak and Krivsky. I don't recall any patently stupid moves that he made in Montreal.

My concern with him is that I never saw him exhibit any express creativity either, but perhaps he's never been given the chance like you say.

Another concern is that John Henry vetoed Larry Lucchino's desire to hire Beattie as Red Sox GM. This doesn't happen very often, from what I understand. Henry bit his tongue during the Grady Little hiring (Henry wasn't impressed during interviews and wanted Felipe Alou), the Josh Beckett trade (which he still doesn't like) and generally trusts the judgment of his baseball people.
    Stick to your guns.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.birdsinthebelfry.com/beattie_Q&A.htm

Sorry if this has already been posted. Not much in there, but a few little nuggets I wanna touch on in an effort not to jump to judgment that he is DanO Lite. First, I'm not sure what this site is in the scheme of things, but I noticed Beattie took the initiative to meet with this roundtable, which appears to be internet media. That is something folks have been clamoring for around these parts--respect for new media. Also, some insight into the Javy Lopez signing. I'll keep looking to give some folks some background so they too might have an informed opinion about what type of GM Jim Beattie might be.

Here's another:
    http://www.bangornews.com/news/templ...&z=58%20class=
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

This GM search is really starting to sound disappointing. This organization really needs to look outside of its own for individuals with track records of success at other teams. Front office-types from the cards and Braves would certainly qualify. Jim Beattie, eh, not so much.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I know nothing concrete about Beattie, but pleanty of people around here who are smarter than I am concerning the situation don't like him. That's enough for me (I've learned that over my 4 years here).

Beattie would get a :thumbdown from me. Krivski would get a from me.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

This morning, ESPN Radio reported Beattie will be the GM, so now there are conflicting reports out of ESPN.

Fine. Whatever.

Castellini is no fool. I'm sure he took the time to focus on this decision and considered all options.

I would have preferred Krivsky based upon the third-hand reports, but Beattie is experienced in several organizations and should be fine. I don't think the owner will let this situation continue as is, regardless who he hires as GM.

Beattie is a smart guy (Dartmouth) and was a starting pitcher for years in the bigs. He's got many years of FO experience in various roles. I'm giving the guy a chance, for sure.

Most interesting to me is his background as a pitcher. The fact that the Reds, forever a team heavy on offense and light on pitching, now are likely to have an ex-pitcher GM is a curious twist. When he came in a couple of weeks ago, his assignment was to evaluate the pitching. Clearly some expectations have been set in that regard. What will he say about developing pitching? Will he bring in a bunch of new pitching coaches? Will he demand college pitching at the top of the draft, and will he insinuate himself so far as to make a #1 pick himself? Will he promote live arms aggressively? You gotta figure he brings more to the table than the Little Book of Pitching Lemmas by D. O'Brien.

And will he start with strike #1 by getting Dunn signed? (Though I put that responsibility more on ownership stepping up, at this point.)

Jim Beattie has had many, many years in baseball to accomplish something. He's not done it. Yes, he's had to deal with difficult payroll constraints and meddling owners, but that's not enough of an excuse; he's going to have a very, very difficult time walking into the Cincy job, too. I want a big time heavy-lifter. Beattie ain't it.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    To quote one of my favorite movies...

"Rage....Taking....Over...."
    Dan O woulda made a great Sphinx.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I just want to put in another plug (it's about my third on this site) for Birds in the Belfry. It's one of the best sites out there, a treasure trove of little information.

I'm surrounded by several Orioles fans in my life and they all think Beattie is an idiot, so my opinion has been somewhat colored by theirs. I really liked the idea of Mozeliak.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Jim Beattie has had many, many years in baseball to accomplish something. He's not done it. Yes, he's had to deal with difficult payroll constraints and meddling owners, but that's not enough of an excuse; he's going to have a very, very difficult time walking into the Cincy job, too. I want a big time heavy-lifter. Beattie ain't it.
    Beattie is what we had before without the binders.
    Go Gators!

ESPN.com is pretty funny right now with the DDN report of Beattie at the top of the MLB headlines and the "Leaning toward Krivsky" title at the bottom of the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I just want to put in another plug (it's about my third on this site) for Birds in the Belfry. It's one of the best sites out there, a treasure trove of little information.
    That's some plug. Little information, eh?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    That's some plug. Little information, eh?
    Oh dang, I hate it when I forget how to speak. I think I probably meant to say a little treasure trove of information, who knows really.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Chris Antonetti worked for Beattie in Montreal. Might that explain why (inside info) he didn't even interview?

Turn Off Ads?