Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stones Slam Super Bowl Censorship

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stones Slam Super Bowl Censorship

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2006-02-08/#3

Veteran rockers The Rolling Stones have blasted the censorship of sexually suggestive lyrics during their Super Bowl half-time show on Sunday night as "absolutely ridiculous" - despite claims from the National Football League the band consented to the move beforehand. Editors turned down Sir Mick Jagger's microphone for risqué lines in hits "Start Me Up" and "Rough Justice" amid fears a repeat of Janet Jackson's infamous wardrobe malfunction at the American football event two years ago would prompt another backlash from family TV audiences. But a spokeswoman for the "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" hitmakers revealed yesterday that the band deemed the measure "absolutely ridiculous and completely unnecessary" and had voiced their opinions to NFL bosses before their three-song set. She added, "The band did the songs they were supposed to do and they sang all the words. There were many, many conversations back and forth and the band clearly was not happy about it." On Monday an NFL spokesman claimed, "We agreed upon it earlier this week. The band were fine with it."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Re: Stones Slam Super Bowl Censorship

It does stink. Many complained about the sound system during the performance. It doesn't sound like that was under the Stones control.

I thought their performance sucked to begin with.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I thought the first song was horrible, but then I hate that song. I liked the second and third, but it does seem Jagger tries anymore to be "Jaggeresque". Like he is trying too much to do all the things with which he is assiciated. But the Stones are my all-time favorite rockers. I really like their stuff from the "Let It Bleed" and "Beggar's Banquet" era the best.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    They had to mix the sound the 1st song, no way did they get a sound check and no way does a small piece band like them sound great from the first chord in the middle of a airplane hanger.

I'm telling you. I would have far preferred a killer marching band to the watered down, bad sound, wrinkled up 60 somethings out there.

Give us something that a whole generation of football fans have never seen.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I'm telling you. I would have far preferred a killer marching band to the watered down, bad sound, wrinkled up 60 somethings out there.

I enjoyed Fleetwood Mac's set with the USC marching band. Something like that mixture would be enjoyable to watch.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I wish i could censor the images of Mick's old lady arms and Liza outfit from my brain...forever....
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

it's the Stones, for Pete's sake...did the NFL expect they would perform Mary Had A Little Lamb?
    everyone not living in a hermet hole knows the lyrics to Start Me Up. and it sure didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the censored word in Rough Justice was.

A marching band that makes us not want to channel surf?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

Yep. People probably wouldn't even know what it was it's been so long since they've seen one.

How about a year long competition with the winner doing at least some of the halftime show instead of the crap we've been getting? Promote it instead of apologizing about it.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

See http://www.bands.org/public/events/gn/

Once you've seen one of these kinds of shows, you understand.

But it will never happen. A chariot race with a beheading to the loser is more likely. America demands mindless pap for the masses accompanied by beer commercials.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    See http://www.bands.org/public/events/gn/

Once you've seen one of these kinds of shows, you understand.

But it will never happen. A chariot race with a beheading to the loser is more likely. America demands mindless pap for the masses accompanied by beer commercials.
    A beheading?

Hmm...All head coaches not in the game are punished for their failures?
    Go Gators!

How about a year long competition with the winner doing at least some of the halftime show instead of the crap we've been getting?
    Nah.... I want to see chariot races around the ring of the field and in the middle of the field I want to see a first grade class role play a couple of Tool songs in a wash of strobe lights.

But that's probably just me.

Nah.... I want to see chariot races around the ring of the field and in the middle of the field I want to see a first grade class role play a couple of Tool songs in a wash of strobe lights.

But that's probably just me.
    That sounds good to me.

I'm a little tired of A dino rock bands mailing it in and B bubble gum crap that nobody wants to hear.

Chariot races would RAWK
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?