Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Tony to hit Prime Time....

Mr. Tony to hit Prime Time....

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere yet. Tirico is a solid PBP man and I am a huge Kornheiser fan, but is there anyway that I can mute JUST Joe Theismann?

Feb 8, 10:48 AM EST

ESPN Names Crew for Monday Night Football

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) -- Former quarterback Joe Theismann, Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico will be the broadcast crew for "Monday Night Football" next season as the long-running show shifts to ESPN from ABC.

The moves leave Al Michaels free to switch to NBC, which takes over Sunday night games next season from ESPN. John Madden, Michaels' broadcast partner for the last four seasons, agreed in June to a six-year contract with NBC.

At a news conference in July, Michaels said he would remain with "Monday Night Football" when it switched to ESPN. He was to be paired with Theismann, who had broadcast Sunday night games on ESPN with Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire.

Mike Breen will replace Michaels as the lead NBA play-by-play announcer on ABC/ESPN. He will be joined by former NBA coach Hubie Brown, hired in December 2004 as the analyst.

Theismann was an NFL quarterback for 12 seasons and had worked on ESPN's Sunday night games since 1988. In addition to working for the Post, Kornheiser has co-hosted "Pardon the Interruption" on ESPN since September 2001 with Michael Wilbon, another Post writer.

Tirico has been a "SportsCenter" host for ESPN and handled play-by-play of the last Orange Bowl. He has worked for ESPN and ABC since 1991.

Michele Tafoya returns for her third season as a "Monday Night Football" sideline reporter, and Suzy Kolber replaces Sam Ryan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mr. Tony to hit Prime Time....

Al Michaels on NBC

Just doesn't seem right.
    Go Gators!

The question is how Mr. Tony's going to get all the way out to the West Coast for those games, knowing his incredible fear of flying. Maybe he'll voice in from his living room? Also, those games run awfully late knowing that he's usually asleep by 9:30. Maybe ESPN will push the start time up to about 6:00 Eastern.

I read where the NBC Sunday night game with Michaels/Madden will be promoted by the NFL as THE premier prime-time game.

While the ESPN Monday night game will have the same status as the previous ESPN Sunday night game, i.e. second-tier.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    I read where the NBC Sunday night game with Michaels/Madden will be promoted by the NFL as THE premier prime-time game.

While the ESPN Monday night game will have the same status as the previous ESPN Sunday night game, i.e. second-tier.
    If true, I feel that would be a huge mistake for the league. I like things exactly the way that they are right now. MNF is the crown jewel for prime time games. How can a Sunday night game hold marquis value when there has already been 13-15 games played earlier in the same day?

I read this too
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

As much as I like Tony Kornheiser, this stinks because the radio show will go on hiatus during the football season.

It is true. The Sunday night game is going to be the game in which they will change the schedule late in the year to always put an important game on in that time. The Monday night game they will not change the schedule. Whatever games they get will not be changed.

I thought this thread was about someone (Tony Perez?) laying the smack down on Deion Sanders.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I thought this thread was about someone (Tony Perez?) laying the smack down on Deion Sanders.
    Saving that for mid season
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader

I'd pay to see that.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I thought it was about the "Tony Awards" and that MWM and Superbarry were going to be over here talking about their favorite stage actors.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    As much as I like Tony Kornheiser, this stinks because the radio show will go on hiatus during the football season.
    Me too! I really like his radio show. But I think he will be good at this as long as he just stays his sarcastic self.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Love Mr. Tony...hate this news. What the hell does Mr. Tony know about football? Thiesmann is bad enough, Tirico is far from my 1st choice for play-by-play and Mr. Tony is not somebody I want in a football booth.

Much like his Jason Alexander sitcom, this has disaster written all over it. Why can't he just stick to what he does better than anybody else and stay with radio? It's disappointing that someone as smart as he gets so caught up in the less desirable aspects of fame.

Fat, bald, and orange Mr. Tony will do just fine on monday night football. He is smart, funny, and different. Lets not poo poo this before we see what kind of job he will do, I for one am looking forward to seeing and hearing Mr. Tony on the broadcasts.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Turn Off Ads?