Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mr. Tony to hit Prime Time....

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: Mr. Tony to hit Prime Time....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Fat, bald, and orange Mr. Tony will do just fine on monday night football. He is smart, funny, and different. Lets not poo poo this before we see what kind of job he will do, I for one am looking forward to seeing and hearing Mr. Tony on the broadcasts.
    Amen. The great thing about Kornheiser is he doesn't care what anybody wants or expects him to be. He doesn't have athletes on his radio show because he doesn't want to. Once he gets comfortable he will be the same, critical, sarcastic, and self-deprecating Tony that some of us love already. Whether hard-core football fans will love it is another story
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tirico is the worst in my opinion. Kornheiser works though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Tirico? What's wrong with keeping Mike Patrick in the booth? He's one of my favorite play-by-play guys and I think he does a nice job broadcasting both football and basketball. I know Patrick did have some health problems last year, so maybe he's cutting back, but otherwise he's the guy I'd want in the booth.

Kornheiser is a favorite of mine, so I like the move. As long as this in no way effects PTI, I'm happy.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Amen. The great thing about Kornheiser is he doesn't care what anybody wants or expects him to be. He doesn't have athletes on his radio show because he doesn't want to. Once he gets comfortable he will be the same, critical, sarcastic, and self-deprecating Tony that some of us love already. Whether hard-core football fans will love it is another story
    The problem is he won't be allowed to be critical and sarcastic. If he is he'll get criticized for it. If he changes then he'll get criticized for not being critical and sarcastic. They will neuter him so fast it won't be funny or he'll do it himself. It's going to be difficult to translate what made him popular on his own talk show to a football game where you have a play by play guy and an analyst who both have to talk quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I love TK. Mad man love. He's absolutely an idol of mine.

As for affecting PTI, on Mondays the show will be on location from wherever MNF is originating from. For those who still listen to him on the radio, he's pretty much going on hiatus during football season from the radio he's said.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    The problem is he won't be allowed to be critical and sarcastic. If he is he'll get criticized for it. If he changes then he'll get criticized for not being critical and sarcastic. They will neuter him so fast it won't be funny or he'll do it himself. It's going to be difficult to translate what made him popular on his own talk show to a football game where you have a play by play guy and an analyst who both have to talk quite a bit.
    Understood and I agree to a point. The network has to know what they were getting when they hired him and to want to change that very much would be foolish. Foolish to hire him in the first place or foolish to think he will be good at being a "corporate" guy. So my hope is that they hired him for who he is and not who they want him to be-there are a lot more flexible announcers out there for them to mold, if that was their goal. I'm sure he will censor himself to a point and won't be talking about his dog or building his new fence.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

With the new Monday night crew Al Michaels will move to NBC and do the Sunday night games with Madden.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324417

In the deadly serious business of sports, a cartoon character from 1927 played a role in Al Michaels' hop from Monday Night Football to NBC.

The network traded rights to Ryder Cup matches, Olympics highlights, historic cartoon character Oswald the Rabbit and more to ESPN to acquire the services of Emmy-winner Michaels for its Sunday night games it was announced Thursday.

NBC takes over Sunday night next season from ESPN, which will broadcast Monday Night Football. John Madden, Michaels' partner for the last four seasons, agreed in June to a six-year contract with NBC.

Besides Madden and Michaels, NBC will have Bob Costas and Cris Collinsworth as co-hosts of the network's studio show.

"When we made the deal with the NFL this spring, there were four key stars I knew I wanted to build our football team around, but I wondered from the beginning, if I would be lucky enough to get them all," NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol said in a statement Thursday.

To get the final piece of Ebersol's team, NBC gave ESPN broader access to the Olympics, Ryder Cup golf, Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness.

NBC also returned Oswald the Rabbit to The Walt Disney Company almost 80 years after the character played a role in the development of Disney's signature icon.

Walt Disney produced 26 Oswald cartoons in 1927, but Universal distributed the series and owned the rights to the character, prompting Disney to develop Mickey Mouse.

Specifically, ESPN gets:

• Rights to broadcast live Friday coverage of the Ryder Cup golf championship between the United States and Europe in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014, as well as the right to re-air NBC coverage and extended highlights.

• Expanded Olympics highlights from this year through 2012.

• Monday Night Football promotions during the NBC Sunday night through 2011.

• Expanded highlights from Notre Dame football, the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness through 2011.

When the Monday games move to ESPN next season, retired quarterback Joe Theismann, Washington Post columnist Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico will be in the ESPN booth.

Michaels had been with ABC since 1976 and had been the play-by-play voice of Monday Night Football since 1986, when he replaced Frank Gifford.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Understood and I agree to a point. The network has to know what they were getting when they hired him and to want to change that very much would be foolish. Foolish to hire him in the first place or foolish to think he will be good at being a "corporate" guy. So my hope is that they hired him for who he is and not who they want him to be-there are a lot more flexible announcers out there for them to mold, if that was their goal. I'm sure he will censor himself to a point and won't be talking about his dog or building his new fence.
    Hopefully that won't be a problem and he can find a happy medium between being a wiseass and not ruffling too many feathers. It's different saying things behind a microphone inside a studio and saying it during a game where you actually talk to the athletes the day of and before the game.

That may not even be as much of a problem as his ****ick translating to people watching the game. Right now on his show and PTI, he can basically talk about a subject for however long it pleases him. Is he even going to be able to get a word in edgewise with Theismann in the booth? If he does, what is he going to say? This has all the earmarks of the suits at ESPN seeing that PTI and Tony's radio show are popular and Tony has a really good Q rating so naturally he should be able to be a good 3rd man in the broadcast booth. Dennis Miller was popular and he went over like a lead balloon on MNF. I'm sure that seemed like a good idea at the time. Would someone like Jim Rome be a good 3rd man in a booth? I mean how long would it take for viewers to get sick of him saying, "Man, that was awesome" after each play? It's not even a question of knowing football either. It'd be good if it worked out for him but he just might end up quitting after a year or two and going back to the show full time.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I think NBC overpaid
    Go Gators!

NBC also returned Oswald the Rabbit to The Walt Disney Company almost 80 years after the character played a role in the development of Disney's signature icon.
    I wonder how Al Michaels feels about being traded for this guy:

Turn Off Ads?