3. Travis Wood LHP
    4. B.J. Szymanski OF
    5. Chris Denorfia OF
    6. Rafeal Gonzalez RHP
    7. Miguel Perez C
    8. Tyler Pelland LHP
    9. Joey Votto 1B
    10. Travis Chick RHP
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball America ranks Reds farm system 29th out of 30 teams

BS

We are just as bad as the mets.
    Go Gators!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

OW. While I'd put the Reds in the lower third, I find it hard to believe we're worse than all of the Nationals, Padres, Royals, Astros, and Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    BS

We are just as bad as the mets.
    Nice.

I think they're probably about right with their assessment...but that's all going to change...right?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ive got to agree with Doc on this one for sure. The Reds cant be below some of those teams. I take everything BA says with a grain of salt though. They are very high on ones percieved potential rather than ones actual production. Although they may be ranked so low as most of their upper echelon talent seems to be at the lower levels....

The Reds probably would have copped 30 before the Mets made the Delgado and LoDuca deals.

Though the Royals are #30 in my book.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    OW. While I'd put the Reds in the lower third, I find it hard to believe we're worse than all of the Nationals, Padres, Royals, Astros, and Cardinals.
    I'd take either the Cardinals or Astros systems in a heartbeat. Both feature a quality high minors starter in the #1 slot and both have had strong drafts over the past two years.

To borrow from WOY, the Nats, Padres, Mets and Royals are all at the Reds' lunch table.

Anyway, for anyone who thought DanO had the system going in the right direction, I submit the BA list. He drafted for tools. BA likes tools. BA just ranked the Reds 29th out of 30.

WOO HOO!

In your FACE, Mets!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    The Reds probably would have copped 30 before the Mets made the Delgado and LoDuca deals.

Though the Royals are #30 in my book.
    I'd take the Royals with Butler and Gordon over the Reds.The Mets might be better than the Reds, at least in terms of impact players, with Milledge and Pelfrey

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    I'd take the Royals with Butler and Gordon over the Reds.The Mets might be better than the Reds, at least in terms of impact players, with Milledge and Pelfrey
    I'm with ya. Reds are #30 with a bullet. I think we envision the Royals at 30 for the way they handle their farm talent at MLB level, but in terms of pure potential the Royals have more interesting and farther along presences than the Reds--particularly if you count Denorfia a MLB player. Then it just becomes undebateable--Reds are by far the worst.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm with ya. Reds are #30 with a bullet. I think we envision the Royals at 30 for the way they handle their farm talent at MLB level, but in terms of pure potential the Royals have more interesting and farther along presences than the Reds--particularly if you count Denorfia a MLB player. Then it just becomes undebateable--Reds are by far the worst.
    If you count Denorfia as a MLB player, then Zimmerman must be too, and then the worst, hands down, would be the Nats, but yea the Reds are bad. When your best players were all in low A or below, that's not good. There are still some that I hold hope for like Gardner, but if you look at the system as of now, its not looking too great. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. I could see that if progress is made by Bailey, Bruce and Wood acclimate themselves well in full season ball, and they have a good draft that the system could jump to the 15-20 range, maybe more. Such is the way with prospect lists.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I'd take either the Cardinals or Astros systems in a heartbeat. Both feature a quality high minors starter in the #1 slot and both have had strong drafts over the past two years.

To borrow from WOY, the Nats, Padres, Mets and Royals are all at the Reds' lunch table.

Anyway, for anyone who thought DanO had the system going in the right direction, I submit the BA list. He drafted for tools. BA likes tools. BA just ranked the Reds 29th out of 30.
    That part may be true, but the Reds are the ones who run that table.

As for the Cards or Astros having a #1 guy in the high minors...yeah they do. The Cards have Anthony Reyes, but who else do they have? He is it. The Astros have Hirsh and Patton and who else? Patton isnt even in the high minors yet, and after him they dont have a whole lot that I see that puts them ahead of the Reds in any way shape or form

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    If you count Denorfia as a MLB player, then Zimmerman must be too, and then the worst, hands down, would be the Nats, but yea the Reds are bad. When your best players were all in low A or below, that's not good. There are still some that I hold hope for like Gardner, but if you look at the system as of now, its not looking too great. It will be interesting to see what happens this year. I could see that if progress is made by Bailey, Bruce and Wood acclimate themselves well in full season ball, and they have a good draft that the system could jump to the 15-20 range, maybe more. Such is the way with prospect lists.
    The Reds system was ranked number 3 in 2001. These rankings are biased based and poorly developed. If Bailey,Bruce and Wood all progress, we will be ranked number 5 next year

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    That part may be true, but the Reds are the ones who run that table.

As for the Cards or Astros having a #1 guy in the high minors...yeah they do. The Cards have Anthony Reyes, but who else do they have? He is it. The Astros have Hirsh and Patton and who else? Patton isnt even in the high minors yet, and after him they dont have a whole lot that I see that puts them ahead of the Reds in any way shape or form
    A) I'd trade the entire Reds top 10 for Hirsch and Patton. Wild guess, but their #9 (Bogusevic) would probably rank ahead of the Reds' #4 (Szymanski).

B) Reyes is not it with the Cardinals and only folks desperate to see the Birds fall from grace would claim such a thing. IMO, BA listed them just about right.

C) Bravado is nice, but rdiersin made a good case for the Mets and the Royals. I don't agree with the Royals still because the system dies after about four guys (none of whom can pitch). The Reds have got exactly no one like Zimmerman. I'm guessing the average Padres fan would prefer the Padres list, just like the average Reds fan will insist the Reds have a better list. My take is they both suck and who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    If Bailey,Bruce and Wood all progress, we will be ranked number 5 next year.
    Is that before or after pigs start flying because Hell has frozen over and it's making their hooves cold?
    Last edited by M2; 02-08-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Time will tell. BA rewards their friends with rankings like these, in my opinion, and if there's one thing we know about this past Reds regime is that they made very few friends in the media.

I happen to like the Reds system better than several teams above them, but that's just me.

Turn Off Ads?