In your FACE, Mets!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Baseball America ranks Reds farm system 29th out of 30 teams

What about the Yankees at #17? That's probably the single worst rating of all of 'em. Ryan Zimmerman, who really didn't spend hardly any time in the minors, has to be included if the Nationals are going to be #24.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    What about the Yankees at #17? That's probably the single worst rating of all of 'em.
    The Yankees have not had a good farm system for awhile. In fact since the boom of free agency it's never been their focus -- the aberration that produced Jeter, Pettitte, Rivera, Williams, Posada et al. was due in part to Steinbrenner's suspension in the 90s after he put private investigators on Dave Winfield.

Every year people say the Yankees have no prospects, and every year a few manage to spring up to the majors out of nowhere -- Cano and Wang last year. But that's luck, and probably some good coaching. The talent in their farm system as a whole is average at best and the ranking is right about where I'd put them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    A) I'd trade the entire Reds top 10 for Hirsch and Patton. Wild guess, but their #9 (Bogusevic) would probably rank ahead of the Reds' #4 (Szymanski).
    Thats just a silly statement. You would trade the Reds "top 10 prospects" for two guys who have yet to pitch in the bigs for more than 50 innings combined?
    Oh, and BA thinks way to highly of Szymanski. I wouldnt put him any higher than 7th in the system. He cant stay healthy and he cant seem to get on base with any consistancy. He is a good athlete with some pop in his bat, but he isnt getting any younger.
    B) Reyes is not it with the Cardinals and only folks desperate to see the Birds fall from grace would claim such a thing. IMO, BA listed them just about right.
    Who else do the Cardinals have? The Cards arent going to take a fall from grace, but I dont see anything that says the Cards have a better system than the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Who else do the Cardinals have? The Cards arent going to take a fall from grace, but I dont see anything that says the Cards have a better system than the Reds.
    Well, what do you see in the Reds that makes them a better system than the Cards? I just don't see it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal
    WOO HOO!

In your FACE, Mets!

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin
    Well, what do you see in the Reds that makes them a better system than the Cards? I just don't see it myself.
    Fair enough question.

I see more depth and more talent top to bottom first off. The Cardinals have a few upper echelon prospects just like the Reds do....but after that, they have very little. I think this is where the Reds system is stronger. There seems to be a gap between the Reds top 3 guys and the rest of their system, but the rest of those guys stack up better top and bottom than where the rest of the Cardinals organization does.

Thats just a silly statement. You would trade the Reds "top 10 prospects" for two guys who have yet to pitch in the bigs for more than 50 innings combined?
    Yeah, magic beans will feed us all. Me, I'd rather buy some cows. Hirsch is 100% of what the Reds need and Patton's well ahead of every pitching prospect in the Reds' system.

Oh, and BA thinks way to highly of Szymanski. I wouldnt put him any higher than 7th in the system. He cant stay healthy and he cant seem to get on base with any consistancy. He is a good athlete with some pop in his bat, but he isnt getting any younger.
    They like tools. Point being, even though Szymanski's their kind of lover he'd be lucky to crack the BA top 10 for the Astros ... and that's a big reason why the Astros rank ahead of the Reds. Better at the top, better in the middle. Just plain better.

Then you're not looking very hard. The Reds got anything that compares to Wainwright and Lambert? No, not even close. If Cincinnati grabbed them both, Wainwright probably would make the Reds' rotation and Lambert would probaby qualify as the best starter in the Reds' high minors.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Fair enough question.

I see more depth and more talent top to bottom first off. The Cardinals have a few upper echelon prospects just like the Reds do....but after that, they have very little. I think this is where the Reds system is stronger. There seems to be a gap between the Reds top 3 guys and the rest of their system, but the rest of those guys stack up better top and bottom than where the rest of the Cardinals organization does.
    ???

There's a big, old gap between the Reds top three and the rest, but it's the rest that somehow elevate the system?

Well, that's just backwards, isn't it? I could see saying you think Bailey, Bruce and Wood are all kinds of dynamite (though anyone banking on two teenage arms is headed for trouble), but if there's a big drop after them, then that's not a good thing.

You yourself said you think Szymanski's overrated. Denorfia's a nice sleeper (but the Cardinals have Cody Haerter). Rafael Gonzalez is an erratic, fat kid who hasn't done anything of note yet. Miguel Perez swings a spaghetti stick. Tyler Pelland's 22 and has yet to log a good season in the minors. Joey Votto struggled like crazy last year and Travis Chick was nothing short of awful. And those seven guys somehow merit confidence?

Balderdash.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Yea, I don't see it either. Wainright would easily be our number 4 (at least) prospect. The Cardinals have talent closer to the majors than the Reds and have close to as many higher ceiling guys. Its easy sometimes to think the Reds have a deeper system since we, as fans, follow them closer and know them better, even form some connection with them. But sometimes we can get caught up in it and lose track of what the system is like. The fact is the Reds have a lot more maybe's in their system than the Cardinals. That's important in deciding who has the better system. The goal of a minor league system is to bring quality mlb players, and right now the Reds system has way to many questions than answers.

Im not looking at BA top 10 rankings. I think Joey Votto has no reason to be sniffing the top 10. He strikes out more than Adam Dunn, has half the power and plays in A-ball.

As for the Reds not having anyone like Wainwright....his last two seasons he has had a 5.37 and 4.40 ERA in AAA. His last two seasons his Whip is over 1.40. The Reds have quite a few guys like that in their system.

As far as Chris Lambert, are you kidding me? He pitched in AA last year. 18 starts, 85ip, 6.85 ERA, 48bb and 69ks. No way would he be the Reds best starter in the upper minors. Josh Hall, Elizardo Ramirez, Bobby Basham, Justin Germano, Phil Dumatrait and heck Even Travis Chick posted better numbers than that.

I dont think the Reds are anywhere near the top half of the best minor league systems...but better than the Cardinals, yes.

Does anyone know if Krivsky has anything to do with that #6 ranking of the Twins?

The Reds definitely need to improve there farm system we didn't need Baseball America to tell us that. Wayne K has a pretty extensive background in scouting so I'm sure he will stock the cupboard with talent.

ah, Dan0's legacy lives on.
    on the other hand, he probably simply turned the list upside down and is celebrating as we speak.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I was thinking the Reds would be somewhere between #21 and #25. Ahead of the Mets, Nationals, Cardinals, Padres, and Yankees for sure.

That's not optimism.

Turn Off Ads?