Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: McCoy needs to address his "report"

McCoy needs to address his "report"

I'm sorry to rant but I am disgusted by Hal McCoy's erroneous report on the next GM. Shouldn't he be held accountable for his story. Usually I don't put much stock in "reported" information, but his story had a certain "for sure" tone to it in my opinion. I know Hal is not the most liked reporter on here, but this is as bad as it gets in my opinion. However, he did manage to embarrass himself and DDN nationally, as many outlets picked up the story (punishment enough?)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: McCoy needs to address his "report"

He didn't name his sources. He technically wasn't wrong. he was "misguided."

I guess Hal won't be buying his "source" dinner anytime soon. He got a story wrong and ends up with egg on his face. Gammons gets stuff wrong consistently. I chuckle at it but it doesn't bother me that much.

As far as the DDN, it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Hal's source was Jim Beattie.

J/K, I can't back that up.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

The problem is this isn't the first time Hal has been wrong. I've written him personally asking him to correct his inaccurate reporting in the past and he doesn't even return "those" e-mails let alone correct his misstatements. The sad truth is Hal's time has passed him by. He's had some serious health issues and very few stay in the game as long as he has. It's time for him to retire. It's getting ugly. I hate seeing him do this to himself.

He was "losing" credibility with me before this snafu but now this is the last straw. I won't believe another rumor he throws out there. When a writer loses credibility then it's over for him.

If he has any marbles left he will address why he was so wrong and not just write a one line joke about it. He makes Gammons look like a prophet.

This is a great example of why I can't stand the national news media. There should be some law about secondary sourcing. ESPN picks up on a local report and the headline becomes "Beattie to be named Reds GM" instead of "The DDN reports the Reds are leaning towards Beattie". I'm sure other places picked it up off of ESPN and suddenly we're playing telephone.

This is why we get crap like Manny for the entire Angels roster and stuff like that. The pressure to get the scoop and get attention seems to trump accuracy and truth everyime.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Hal's source was Jim Beattie.

J/K, I can't back that up.
    Did your source tell you that?

I'm going to laugh next time he and Marty ridicule Gammons for the same thing. Hal needs to just stick to writing a column once or twice a week and leave the beat to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

If a younger reporter did what Hal just did that person would be lucky to keep his/her job.

Chip, good point about Gammons (who knows how to verify a source and how to qualify the information he presents).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Another scoop for Hal!

The erroneous report is no longer on the website or at least it's not on the main Reds page. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Beattie Defeats Krivsky?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Post deleted, sorry bad attempt at humor
    Last edited by timmario66; 02-09-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Chip, good point about Gammons (who knows how to verify a source and how to qualify the information he presents).
    Shhh. Didn't you hear the new rule that states you can't praise Gammons on this board?

A lot of people dislike Gammons on this board, I on the other hand love the guy. He's always right on with his Reds news.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Shhh. Didn't you hear the new rule that states you can't praise Gammons on this board?

A lot of people dislike Gammons on this board, I on the other hand love the guy. He's always right on with his Reds news.
    He's right on with most things. The guy is crystal clear about what's in talks, what's a rumor and what's a done deal.

He's the best-connected sports reporter ever, a one-man clearing house for baseball information. Beats the hell out of some ex-jock beating his chest about how these kids today don't get it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Gammons has his faults. He's not as objective as he and others would like you to believe. He's not always right either but you have to remember he's dealing with sources from 30 teams who are probably telling him different things to suit their own purposes. Hal and Marty love to snark at him when he makes a report that turns out to be erroneous.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?