Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Former GM question....

Former GM question....

I don't think I was around that much when Dan O'Brien was hired. What was the reaction like when he was hired? Did people think it was a pretty good idea, and only find out what a mess we were in later? Or did Redzoners hate him from the start?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Former GM question....

Well, after they met him, or in other words heard him speak, I think most of us knew we were in trouble. No charisma. He would go on and on and not say a thing.

As I recall, the hiring process was much different too. I don't remember many candidates having past GM experience. They were generally interviewing scouting directors rather than asst or former GMs although I realize Krivsky was one of the previous candidates.

That said I'm anxious to hear Krivsky speak. Not being in on the interview process, us fans really can't venture much of a guess as to who would be best, but I do like Krivsky's resume. He has a lot of experience in a baseball front office and he knows about the limitations of a small market.

I just looked through the archives and there was no thread about it archived. Maybe it was all a dream.

IIRC, most people gave him a chance but he made himself look foolish by thanking all those people at the initial press conference.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    I don't think I was around that much when Dan O'Brien was hired. What was the reaction like when he was hired? Did people think it was a pretty good idea, and only find out what a mess we were in later? Or did Redzoners hate him from the start?
    Many noted his "acceptance speech" where he thanked 60 or so people seemed to indicate he thought he had already reached his goal.

If I recall correctly, the choice was pretty widely panned very early. I know there is a thread hanging around giving him a grade after one year, and it was not complimentary to say the least.

GL

No one was terribly excited about it, but there was no way to know what was to come.

Actually, I recall FCB making a comment about it was nice to see someone with some intellect (former Rhodes Scholar) on board.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

The hiring process was a sham.

The reaction of a certain segment of redszone (including myself) at the time can best be summed up with one word: "binder"
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

My reaction was "Who?"

I trusted the Reds to make the best choice..they didn't..but I'll still trust em this time.
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think we were cautiously optimistic based on his recognition that player development was the #1 problem. But we were also frustrated by his inability to directly communicate and political-style evasion. I think that were O'Bie given a few more years, we'd see the system start to bear fruit, but that his management of the team at the major league level was simply unacceptable. I remember vaguely that this is what people feared would be the case.

That's why I'm curious about what decisions at the major league level we can attribute to Waynesky.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I reacted to O'Brien with a basic "don't know much about him, I'll give him a chance" shrug. I knew we had too big a mess to fix in one offseason, or maybe two, so I wasn't expecting miracles. And I liked that he seemed professional and was willing to work within the parameters of the job (i.e. payroll). Lots of would-be GMs wait for a good job; I respect guys who will take a tough job and make it good. Unfortunately, O'Brien didn't do that.

I'd say my opinion had turned negative for good by August 2004, after his first draft and trade deadline. By then, even I realized he wasn't exactly a man of action, and digging out of a hole is an energy-intensive task.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I'd say my opinion had turned negative for good by August 2004
    I jumped ship after Milton, inexcusable
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?