Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Upgrades Can Krivsky Add Before Opening Day?

What Upgrades Can Krivsky Add Before Opening Day?

I put this on the ORG because I wanted to know the opinions of some of our best baseball minds.

The question is, are there any potential upgrades to this roster that are still out there that Wayne Krivski could find and how much would you pay for them?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What Upgrades Can Krivski Add Before Opening Day?

paint the outhouse door

Re: What Upgrades Can Krivsky Add Before Opening Day?

Release Womack.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I put this on the ORG because I wanted to know the opinions of some of our best baseball minds.

The question is, are there any potential upgrades to this roster that are still out there that Wayne Krivski could find and how much would you pay for them?
    Thought I'd get my answer in before those "best baseball minds" started chiming in and making sense and all.

I guess there is a chance that Krivsky makes a deal or two during ST or the runup, but would expect more action closer to the trade deadline. I think that he'll be spending the majority of time the next few weeks becoming acclimated with the organziation, familiarizing himself with the personnel and getting his people/system in place. However, I don't think it will take a year (plus) like it did with Dan0 - I'd think he did a lot of homework preparing for the interviews to increase his chances at getting the job.

I will predict this though, if he does make a deal rapidly it will be someone he has coveted from his time with the Twins and will give pretty good indication of his philosophy and the direction in which he wants to take this franchise.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-09-2006 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Release Womack.
    without a doubt, that should be his first official act as GM. He is somewhere below worthless. Cashman still has to be :ughmamoru over that trade.

Ken Rosenthal was right. If the Reds have any indication that signing Adam Dunn will be difficult, then they need to trade him now. Dunn could bring in three impact prospects that would be the building blocks to a contending team down the road. If you look and see what Dunn and Griffey will do to the payroll the Reds will have no payroll flexibility. And payroll flexibility is what you need today. Trading Griffey would be difficult but if you're willing to pay a portion of his contract, you still gain payroll flexibility.

Like I said, Dunn could net three outstanding prospects. You don't think the Angels or Dodgers would give up two or three of their crown jewels for a hitter like Adam Dunn?

The next year or two would be painful but it is time the Reds did this rebuilding process right.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    Thought I'd get my answer in before those "best baseball minds" started chiming in and making sense and all.

I didn't mean to make it sound like everyone else's opinion didn't matter. Just wanted to get a feel for what the "Redszone 10" had to say.

"Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Release Womack.
    I second this one.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Well, who's a 'lock' on the 25 man roster right now?

1 Dunn
    2 Kearns
    3 Pena
    4 Jr.
    5 Freel
    6 Encarnacion
    7 Lopez
    8 Aurilia
    9 Womack
    10 LaRue
    11 Valentin

12 Harang
    13 Milton
    14 Wilson
    15 Williams
    16 Claussen
    17 Mercker
    18 Weathers
    19 Hammond
    21 White

I think those are the only 100% locks. But then you have a handful of guys who have a really good shot at making it:
    22 Wagner
    23 Hudson
    24 Shackleford
    25 Denorfia

And a group of guys who all will be there competing already:
    25 Perez
    26 Sardihna
    26 Bergolla
    27 Olmedo
    28 Cruz
    27 Simpson
    28 Standridge
    29 Burns
    30 Hancock

I honestly don't think there's anybody out there who would join the first group and there's enough talent to choose from for the remaining spots that no new FA signings really make sense. However, if a significant trade is made, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I honestly don't think there's anybody out there who would join the first group and there's enough talent to choose from for the remaining spots that no new FA signings really make sense. However, if a significant trade is made, all bets are off.
    Can I see your membership card, please?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat

I guess there is a chance that Krivsky makes a deal or two during ST or the runup, but would expect more action closer to the trade deadline. I think that he'll be spending the majority of time the next few weeks becoming acclimated with the organziation, familiarizing himself with the personnel and getting his people/system in place. However, I don't think it will take a year (plus) like it did with Dan0 - I'd think he did a lot of homework preparing for the interviews to increase his chances at getting the job.

I will predict this though, if he does make a deal rapidly it will be someone he has coveted from his time with the Twins and will give pretty good indication of his philosophy and the direction in which he wants to take this franchise.
    I think we could see Krivsky hit the ground running. IN an article I read that he had made himself familiar with the organization during his last interview and never really stopped evaluating the talent.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Well, who's a 'lock' on the 25 man roster right now?

1 Dunn
    2 Kearns
    3 Pena
    4 Jr.
    5 Freel
    6 Encarnacion
    7 Lopez
    8 Aurilia
    9 Womack
    10 LaRue
    11 Valentin

12 Harang
    13 Milton
    14 Wilson
    15 Williams
    16 Claussen
    17 Mercker
    18 Weathers
    19 Hammond
    21 White

I think those are the only 100% locks. But then you have a handful of guys who have a really good shot at making it:
    22 Wagner
    23 Hudson
    24 Shackleford
    25 Denorfia

And a group of guys who all will be there competing already:
    25 Perez
    26 Sardihna
    26 Bergolla
    27 Olmedo
    28 Cruz
    27 Simpson
    28 Standridge
    29 Burns
    30 Hancock

I'd add Germano and Olmedo to that list of possibilities

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Ken Rosenthal was right. If the Reds have any indication that signing Adam Dunn will be difficult, then they need to trade him now. Dunn could bring in three impact prospects that would be the building blocks to a contending team down the road. If you look and see what Dunn and Griffey will do to the payroll the Reds will have no payroll flexibility. And payroll flexibility is what you need today. Trading Griffey would be difficult but if you're willing to pay a portion of his contract, you still gain payroll flexibility.

Like I said, Dunn could net three outstanding prospects. You don't think the Angels or Dodgers would give up two or three of their crown jewels for a hitter like Adam Dunn?

The next year or two would be painful but it is time the Reds did this rebuilding process right.
    Krusty, sometimes your trade proposals are off the wall. You are dead-on here. I agree. If your going to trade Dunn, do it now.

I would also like to add that they should not, I repeat SHOULD NOT trade Dunn to a team in the NL Central.
    Last edited by StillFunkyB; 02-09-2006 at 05:54 PM.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I think Krivsky will let the season begin first then see what happens after May before he pulls the trigger on any deals. We will not get the prospects we desire with our current roster except for trading Dunn, which wouldn't be logical when we could trade him at the deadline for the PRIZE prospects. I think he will be open to trading some guys who dont make the club out of spring training for lower level prospects. Trust me someone will overpay for any pitching these days.

I think he is going to get busy come spring training. he knows the area of weakness and needs to use his talents in player evaluations of othe teams rosters and work a deal or 2.

Turn Off Ads?