Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Rosenthal's take of direction of the Reds

Ken Rosenthal's take of direction of the Reds

Didn't see this elsewhere. He is suggesting the Reds blow it up.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5317510

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ken Rosenthal's take of direction of the Reds

Ken makes a lot of sense. So does moving Dunn and/or Griffey to set the stage for the next batch of up-and-comers. I hope Krivsky pisses off a lot of Red's fans this year and proves his worth in 2 to 3 years.

Thing is in the batches of up and comers that you see each year, Dunn is like a needle in the haystack. If he can develop over the next few years like he is very capable of, whatever return we did get for him will look even more laughable. Such a risk is involved that unless we find a GM who secretly is Dunn's daddy and willing to totally change the depth of the franchise with quality young players or that ellusive ace we all seek, it's not worth considering. Based on all the rumors that I have seen that were "the best" of them all, had us getting a few above average prospects and one that you could maybe consider good. Not the kind of haul that will do anything for this team but shed Dunn's salary.

Give him the LTC and don't look back. It won't be a move to regret like so many of our other long term contracts that were done with career year types, past their primes or simply overrated. If we get our socks knocked off, then sure consider it but I simply dont think that will happen. Our team will be much better off with Dunn's production then getting a OK package of prospects who maybe one or two turn out to be effective MLB starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Amen
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I hope Krivsky remakes the team.

As DanO said, there are no shortcuts. You have to build with young talent. But DanO was unwilling to pull the trigger on deals.

Holding on to current stars may be satisfying to fans, but it is not the way to build. Reds should consider deals for top young talent. I think Rosenthal is correct in his view.

In particular, I think they have to explore trading Dunn and Griffey, who really are the team's only high priced talent. If you can get three top young players/prospects for Dunn, including pitchers, you do it. If you can get one very good young player for Griffey, you do it.

In Febuary there isn't much to write about, Ken is trying to fill his plate with the only scraps out there.

While a rebuild is gonna happen it's not going to be a shoot from the hip moment between now and ST that's for sure.

It blows my mind that some talk about acquiring young potential talent in exchange for Adam Dunn...when Dunn IS young and talented...and already proven as opposed to potentially good. I agree that if someone were to give you a mind-blowing deal you would have to consider it. But, you just don't trade young talent like Adam Dunn. He is what you BUILD AROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    If you can get three top young players/prospects for Dunn, including pitchers, you do it. If you can get one very good young player for Griffey, you do it.
    I think the trade value of either player is being seriously inflated by Reds fans. However, the caveat is that there is always a GM out there ready to make a really stupid trade. Although the frequency of those kind of deals seems to be going down.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Thing is in the batches of up and comers that you see each year, Dunn is like a needle in the haystack. If he can develop over the next few years like he is very capable of, whatever return we did get for him will look even more laughable. Such a risk is involved that unless we find a GM who secretly is Dunn's daddy and willing to totally change the depth of the franchise with quality young players or that ellusive ace we all seek, it's not worth considering. Based on all the rumors that I have seen that were "the best" of them all, had us getting a few above average prospects and one that you could maybe consider good. Not the kind of haul that will do anything for this team but shed Dunn's salary.

Give him the LTC and don't look back. It won't be a move to regret like so many of our other long term contracts that were done with career year types, past their primes or simply overrated. If we get our socks knocked off, then sure consider it but I simply dont think that will happen. Our team will be much better off with Dunn's production then getting a OK package of prospects who maybe one or two turn out to be effective MLB starters.
    great post man, i agree 100%

also disagree with rosenthal due to the fact he says Wily Mo deserves a LTC.

Why the hell is that?

I would have no problem dealing Griffey, LaRue, bullpen veterans, or our surplus of middle infielders such as Aurilia and Womack. But I keep our young guys as Rosenthal suggested and I keep Dunn despite his suggestion. A solid young core is needed to keep the team afloat as we seek out young players. Our core would include young players like Dunn, Kearns, Pena, Felo, EdE, Harang, Claussen, Bailey, Wood, Coffey, and Wagner. Since most of these guys are still somewhat raw and all of them have a lot of room to improve, we can say that a few will not pan out to where we want them to be. Thats an inexpensive risk. Once they are not what we want, we trade them to a team that feels they can fix them. Or if we have even half of them become very solid, we can trade one of Kearns or Pena for something of need as they will have a higher value. And we have possible replacements outfielders with Bruce, Szymanaski, Denorfia, and Stratton.

Keep that core and we have a team that people will still love to watch. Get young prospects that can help build our system for Griffey, LaRue, bullpen veterans, and the middle infielders. Trade away those young core guys that do not pan out and sign the ones that do long-term. Draft extremely well and we have a contender.

It all starts with signing Dunn (core player) to a LTC now. See what Felo, Kearns, and Harang do this year and look that direction for them if they can continue to strive. Then after the 2007 season, you look at Pena, EdE, and Wagner. On top of that we will have guys like Bailey, Bruce, Wood and prospects we get for any of the above mentioned trades to come in and place their mark on the team.

This is simply and inexpensive way to go without damaging the fanbase too much and keeping our young big time talent on to push as a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by roby
    It blows my mind that some talk about acquiring young potential talent in exchange for Adam Dunn...when Dunn IS young and talented...and already proven as opposed to potentially good. I agree that if someone were to give you a mind-blowing deal you would have to consider it. But, you just don't trade young talent like Adam Dunn. He is what you BUILD AROUND!
    I agree that Dunn is young and talented, but I don't considered him a young talent. A young talent should be new to the majors and fairly cheap. A young talent shouldn't cost 10 million a year. Sure Dunn is worth it, but a rebuilding small market team shouldn't start out signing LTC's to established, arbitration eligible players worth 10 million, should they?

A friend of mine and I were discussing this last week. I think that by the trade deadline we should move the following.
    Womack
    Aurilia
    Mercker
    Weathers
    Wilson (if possible)
    Milton (if possible)
    Kearns or Pena
    at least one of the catchers, maybe both
    These guys might not fetch huge returns, but I dont see them serving any useful role on the 2007 Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    A friend of mine and I were discussing this last week. I think that by the trade deadline we should move the following.
    Womack
    Aurilia
    Mercker
    Weathers
    Wilson (if possible)
    Milton (if possible)
    Kearns or Pena
    at least one of the catchers, maybe both
    These guys might not fetch huge returns, but I dont see them serving any useful role on the 2007 Reds.
    Half of those names aren't serving any useful role on the 2006 Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    also disagree with rosenthal due to the fact he says Wily Mo deserves a LTC.

Why the hell is that?
    Give Wily Mo a LTC but not Dunn?

OooooK...
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?