Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for ex-reds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bcolvard

Looking for ex-reds

I just want to know if any of you guys know the whereabouts of old reds players I have read that Freddie Benavides is still with the organization but what about others such as Glenn Sutko, Jeff Branson, Steve Foster just to name a few any info would great... they were minor league team mates that I have lost touch with

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Looking for ex-reds

Steve Foster was in the Reds system as a coach. He may have moved over to the Red Sox. Freddie just got promoted by the Reds as Field Coordinator. I'll ask around about Branson. Thought he was coaching in the college ranks. Could be wrong about that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

You can find Branson through this site

http://www.midwestbaseballacademy.co...l/coaches.aspx

Glen lives where I used have to work

Painters

Name: Glenn Sutko
    Company: Earthly Matters Painting
    Address: 1360 Union Hill Road
    Suite D-4
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30004
    Office Phone: 770.346.0203
    Mobile: 770.294.7375

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Glen lives where I used have to work

Painters

Name: Glenn Sutko
    Company: Earthly Matters Painting
    Address: 1360 Union Hill Road
    Suite D-4
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30004
    Office Phone: 770.346.0203
    Mobile: 770.294.7375
    For some reason, Glenn Sutko sticks in my head because I once saw him enter one of the few big-league games he ever appeared in as a defensive replacement behind the plate. He proceeded to throw a guy out stealing for the third out of the inning with an absolute gunshot of a throw, then pumped his fist and jogged off the field. Judging by Retrosheet, that may very well have been the last time he set foot on the field in a big-league game.

Date Opponent POS GS INN PO A ERR PB SB CS
    5-18-1991 VS SD N C 0 2 1 1 0 0 0 1
    6- 6-1991 VS NY N C 0 2 2 1 0 0 0 1
    7-13-1991 VS PIT N C 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1

Steve's the charactor famous for this:

When asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare:

Sure. I’m proud to be an American.

bcolvard

thanks guys... that line from Steve doesn't surprise me after Billings, CR and Chatt. I should have guessed that Sutko would be in Georgia... both were fun to be around... spent one wild month at instructional league with both.. I think I heard that Costo was still in Chatt. but don't know for sure...

bcolvard

also does anyone know anything about former first round pick Scott Bryant

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bcolvard
    also does anyone know anything about former first round pick Scott Bryant
    I had a few of his 1990 Score rookie cards. Not a very good picture.

I saw Jeff Branson last year managing the Hickory Crawdads, Pittsburgh's Sally League team.

btw, a guy I work with told me today that Mike Lum has just been named hitting coach for the WV Power. I think he replaces Johnny Narron who looked an awful lot like the Reds' manager, and who I guessed (but was not sure) was Jerry's brother.

edit: just found confirmation that they are brothers. Having seen him, there was little doubt anyway.
    Last edited by tixe; 02-09-2006 at 09:55 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

bcolvard

Sut always had a big arm and d skills just had trouble hitting his weight.. Good team player and friend though

BColvard, I once had jazzy dreams of an EDavis/O'Neill/Colvard outfield after your .450 debut in Billings.

when a guy hits .450 in Billings, we still bring up the names Colvard, Frank, Redus and Griffey Sr. around here. Welcome aboard.

In 1990, my younger brother was a bartender at the Precinct, and the Reds coaching staff and front office types used to come in quite often after games. After the Reds had clinched the division, my brother told me about a heated debate between Lou Piniella and GM Bob Quinn regarding who should be the 25th man on the postseason roster. The debate was between Tim Layana, Tim Birtsas, Terry Lee, and Glenn Sutko. Lou was lobbying hard for Sutko because he thought that if they made the WS Sutko was the only catcher who had a prayer of throwing out Rickey Henderson and Jose Canseco. I guess Quinn overrode him, but Sutko came closer than people might have known to making a WS roster.

Quote Originally Posted by bcolvard
    I just want to know if any of you guys know the whereabouts of old reds players I have read that Freddie Benavides is still with the organization but what about others such as Glenn Sutko, Jeff Branson, Steve Foster just to name a few any info would great... they were minor league team mates that I have lost touch with
    Why? Are you a stalker?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Mr. Colvard was a Rookie League All-Star that year
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?