Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keeper Q: David Ortiz or Felix Hernandez?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Keeper Q: David Ortiz or Felix Hernandez?

This one's driving me nuts...

We can keep 3 players.

I already have Albert Pujols and Johan Santana.

If I keep David Ortiz, I can feast on pitchers for the first 3 rounds.

If I keep King Felix, I should have an other-worldly rotation...

Problem is, Felix is green as can be. Ortiz is a proven commodity.

It's my feeling that I can grab Felix with my first draft pick, wherever it may be. I have a feeling that, if I drop Ortiz, he will be nabbed. Therefore, I am leaning towards taking Big Papi.

Thoughts?
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Keeper Q: David Ortiz or Felix Hernandez?

I think that for this upcoming season Ortiz will be more valueable, but shortly after this season I would say Felix will be. If you think you can drop King Felix and draft him with your first pick, I would do it. Felix Hernandez looks to be every bit of Dwight Gooden version 2.0, but without the drug problems. I am a little partial to Gooden, but I think he is still one of the most underrated pitchers of the past 40 years.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I would keep Ortiz. Having a proven commodity in Ortiz with a reasonable shot at getting Felix with your first pick is worth the risk. Of course, that gives you 2 1B's, so I'm assuming you have at least one Ut or CI. I'll take the bird in the hand almost every time
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I vote Oritz. How many people were on the Zack Greinke bandwagon? There are WAY too many things that could go wrong. Plus you can bet that Seattle is gonna try to limit his innings to keep him healthy.

I would also keep Ortiz. The only thing he doesn't give you is SB. Hernandez is still a bit of an injury risk, and like you said, Ortiz is proven and he rarely gets hurt.

I would go with Ortiz also. For all the talk of King Felix already being anoited with the holy oil of Hall of Fame considerations, he is still a rather green 20 year old with some herky jerky mechanics. Now, don't get me wrong, I like the potential of King Felix, but I would rather go with the proven power hitter who is still relative young at 30 years in todays' era of better conditioning and advanced medical knowledge with plenty left to give in the next five years.

Turn Off Ads?