Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Olympic Fever? Why aren't YOU in Torino?

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Re: Olympic Fever? Why aren't YOU in Torino?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    We could sign up for the Curling team. I volunteer to slide the stones. We just need great broom men and women.
    I actually curl so I can handle it all :dancingco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    I actually curl so I can handle it all :dancingco
    My buddy from Toronto and I were talking about curling today, his claim is it's more of a western canadian thing.

Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Is this true?
    I'll leave the "real" answer to the Canadians, but my impression is yes.

Curling is possibly the most fun sport on earth. You have a skip, a thrower guy whose job it is to hurl the rock, and two sweepers who wear awesome shoes and their job is to polish the ice. The goal is to get your rocks closest to the center of the target at the other end of the ice as possible. The other team's goal is to knock your rocks out. Seriously, if there's a better sport than one which involves one team knocking the other's rocks out, I have yet to find it.

Also, I have serious olympic fever.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I'll leave the "real" answer to the Canadians, but my impression is yes.

Curling is possibly the most fun sport on earth. You have a skip, a thrower guy whose job it is to hurl the rock, and two sweepers who wear awesome shoes and their job is to polish the ice. The goal is to get your rocks closest to the center of the target at the other end of the ice as possible. The other team's goal is to knock your rocks out. Seriously, if there's a better sport than one which involves one team knocking the other's rocks out, I have yet to find it.
    To expand on your answer, curling is generally more popular on the west coast, but there are many great curlers on the east as well, but definately more depth on the west.

Vatican, your answer is a little simplistic, so if you don't mind I would like to add to it and give you a better idea of the whole format.

Each team consists of 4 players: the lead, the second, the third, and the skip. Each player throws 2 rocks (with the lead throwing first) while the skip is generally the best thrower and also strategizes. The lead, second, and third all sweep depending on who is throwing.

If anyone has any questions, I love talking about curling and am always glad to share knowledge about it since for the most part many people don't know much about it and don't realize how great of a sport it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    Each team consists of 4 players: the lead, the second, the third, and the skip. Each player throws 2 rocks (with the lead throwing first) while the skip is generally the best thrower and also strategizes. The lead, second, and third all sweep depending on who is throwing.
    Yeah, I've only played twice. I actually think I understand it better reading your post than I did when I played. Mine were highly informal games, to say the least. But what a rad time it is.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Is it time for the Winter Olympics already?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Curling reminds me of shuffleboard in a bar.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?