Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richard Hidalgo

Richard Hidalgo

Poorer Richard
    February 12
    Newsday (scroll down): "Richard Hidalgo, off a profoundly disappointing 2005 with the Texas Rangers (rumor is I might have picked him as the American League MVP), is still looking for work, with the Orioles, Red Sox and Reds most interested."
    Don't know if has been posted yet, but thoughts please?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Richard Hadilgo

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    Poorer Richard
    February 12
    Newsday (scroll down): "Richard Hidalgo, off a profoundly disappointing 2005 with the Texas Rangers (rumor is I might have picked him as the American League MVP), is still looking for work, with the Orioles, Red Sox and Reds most interested."
    Don't know if has been posted yet, but thoughts please?
    Might make sense if there is a deal in the works for pitching with one of the big four and Hidalgo can be had for a decent number. If the Sox and/or O's want him very bad though the number probably won't be that decent.

Re: Richard Hidalgo

Would make a nice RH Power Bat off the Bench and 4th OF. Plus he is an above average defensive COF. I also think he would be a good option if Wily Mo doesn't do well. Or it could also mean that Krivsky has a taker for Kearns or Pena. I guess it all really depends on the asking price.

At this point in the offseason to find a guy who is capable of giving you good defense, and some degree of offense I would have to like it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    Would make a nice RH Power Bat off the Bench and 4th OF. Plus he is an above average defensive COF. I also think he would be a good option if Wily Mo doesn't do well. Or it could also mean that Krivsky has a taker for Kearns or Pena. I guess it all really depends on the asking price.

At this point in the offseason to find a guy who is capable of giving you good defense, and some degree of offense I would have to like it.
    I'm gonna play "Krusty's Advocate" for a minute.

The Reds send Milton, Junior and a buttload of cash to Seattle for young pitching.

The Mariners get a reunion with Griffey and Milton back in the AL in a larger ballpark and cash (plus Milton's option).

On the Reds side, I'd go as high as this year's salary for both Milton & Griffey and possibly more for Junior if it sweetened the pot significantly - say another halfseason or part of the deferred money (wonder if that can be re-worked into a personal services contract for PR or other involvement after his playing days?)

The Reds end up getting some of the Mariners pitching and future payflex (not to mention the savings on baseballs) and a return of Hidalgo to the NL.

You then add Hidalgo for an order of:

2B Freel
    SS Lopez
    1B Dunn
    RF Kearns
    LF Pena
    CF Hidalgo/Denofria
    C LaRue
    3B Encarnacion

You also subtract Milton from the GAB and add a pitching prospect or two to the rotation mix with Harang, Claussen, Wilson and Williams (and maybe even a reliever). You use the future saving to start locking up Dunn, Lopez, Harang, Kearns, etc. or target and ace in the next year via a trade or offseason Free Agency.

Alternative two. Same type of scenario, but two separate deals. Griffey to the Braves and Milton to the Tigers (Can Comerica hold him?).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-12-2006 at 12:30 PM.

(I'm gonna play "Krusty's Advocate" for a minute.)

Krusty is going to be pissed.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

That's all nice, but I don't think KGJr will go to Seattle.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    That, and I don't see why Seattle would take them even if the Reds paid ALL of their salary.

I don't see how the Reds move Junior...I'd say that Dunn is gone before Junior.

Pena and Kearns just don't have the value to bring the pitching we need.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Back to Hidalgo, I think with Scott Hattenberg signed to back up first. Hidalgo, wouldn't be a bad pick-up if he accepts the 4th OF role. Can't bode to well for Denorfia if he did sign. I figure if RH plays well and we are out of contention then he gets dealt for pitching/prospects. Worth a shot.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Junior would void that deal

Hidalgo is one of those guys I hated because he seemed to constantly make plays against the Reds. Might be worth picking him up just so they don't have to face him.

got alil captain in u?

depends on which hidalgo you get the one who can hit with power and for average or the one that played for the mets who did notting

I would agree with the Captain.

Which Hidalgo are you going to get - the one that shows up or the one that doesn't.

I think this was a DanO move not a WayneK move.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    (I'm gonna play "Krusty's Advocate" for a minute.)

Krusty is going to be pissed.
    Nah. Welcome to the Trademeister Nation.

Anyways, you think those Junior to the White Sox rumors could be revisited in spring training if Brian Anderson struggles for the White Sox?

And, if White Sox GM Kenny Williams offers Jose Contreras and a prospect for Junior, would Krivsky pull the trigger? And how would it look to Junior if he vetoed a trade that would send him to the World Champions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

This may not be the wisest stance but, I am going to take it anyway. I am not all that concerned with Hidalgo's offense as long as he's not AWFUL. At his worst he is not far off from Wily Mo/Kearnsy of pre '06 offensively and his defense is far better as is his baserunning. And it's his defense that makes me want to acquire him, as some on this board knows I have been complaining about our defense for quite some time.

Now I'm not advocating replacing Wily Mo or Kearns with Hidalgo if they are both on the team because Wily has phenomenol potential offensively and I really still like Austin (He's Molitor-esque to me somehow, don't ask I'm not sure). But if you do "Spend your money wisely" and deal a Griffey Jr. or you decide to let one of the youngsters go to obtain a solid arm, who is on the open market right now that you would rather have than Hidalgo to stay competitive!? My stance is absolutely no-one.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?