Turn Off Ads?

Thread: New "Stats guy" here needs help

New "Stats guy" here needs help

All,

As a recent convert to the SABR way of thinking. I WANT MORE!!! So along those lines I'm looking for some more information out there and I need some opinions.

I'm thinking of subscribing to Baseball Prospectus' website, and was just wondering if you guys think it is worth it? Or is there a better source out there that I should be looking at? Also any reading material (books or mags) that you could suggest would be greatly appreciated also.

Any and all help is welcome

Thanks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New "Stats guy" here needs help

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz
    I'm thinking of subscribing to Baseball Prospectus' website, and was just wondering if you guys think it is worth it? Or is there a better source out there that I should be looking at? Also any reading material (books or mags) that you could suggest would be greatly appreciated also.
    I've enjoyed my subscription to Baseball Prosepectus but there is some good, free stuff there as well. http://www.hardballtimes.com/main is another site worth checking out. While not really a book on sabermetrics, The Numbers Game by Alan Schwarz is a great read on the history of stats.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

The "Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract" is a great, great book. I highly recommend it.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Dear Redlegz,

My recommendation is to buy Baseball Prospectus' Book first, which is like 12-15 bucks (see link). In addition to the stats stuff, it has 30 essays (one for each team) that are more than worth the price. It's not all stats. Lots of analysis, humor, and love for baseball.

After you comb through the book, if you decide you want more, then I recommend springing the extra money for the annual subscription. You'll have access to several years of archived articles, so you can kind of look into the topics that interest you.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Dear Redlegz,

My recommendation is to buy Baseball Prospectus' Book first, which is like 12-15 bucks (see link). In addition to the stats stuff, it has 30 essays (one for each team) that are more than worth the price. It's not all stats. Lots of analysis, humor, and love for baseball.
    A ditto on the recommendation. My annual copies end up more than a little dog-eared.

It'll be interesting to see what they wrote for the Reds, given that the book went to press after Castellini's offer to buy the team was accepted, but before he was approved and initiated the GM change.
    Not all who wander are lost

If you want a sabermetric bent on the minor leagues --John Sickels tends to lean that way. He has a web site and a book.

There's a new book coming out by Mitchell Lightman and Tom Tango. They are the most up to date sabermetric dudes out there....there book is called "The Book" and i think it is being delivered to readers late February. Tom Tango also has a website called "Tangotiger on Baseball" or something like that.

Thank You all for the recomendations

Turn Off Ads?