Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed

Re: Hatteberg signed

Good move...Wonder if this could mean that Dunn is not coming to First Base? Wonder if it means that Dunn or Junior could be movin to another team...especially Dunn.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    Good move...Wonder if this could mean that Dunn is not coming to First Base? Wonder if it means that Dunn or Junior could be movin to another team...especially Dunn.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see either Pena or Kearns moved.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan
    You are reading too much into this move.

At this time, I choose to read this move this way:

Krivsky: "Good lord! Is that what O'Brien thought would pass for a bench?"

Leftover underling: "Yeah. No good?"

Krivsky: "No it's no good! It's terrible! Get me Hatteberg's agent on the phone. He at least has a memory of once having a pulse."

Leftover underling: "What? We're actually going to be proactive?" (Head explodes)

Krivsky: "Great, now one more position to fill."

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Hatteberg can also serve as the emergency third catcher, which is good to have. Of course, this also gives a reasonable option to play first if Dunn is traded -- a little leverage if you will.

I'm also glad that we're finally looking at backups who are legitimate major leaguers rather than guys like Cruz who are the absolute definition of replacement level.

I see no reason to NOT like this move. Good job Krivsky, keep it going!
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I like this signing as long as Hatteberg is viewed as a backup. He gets on base at a decent rate (.356 career), but his GiDP numbers last year were Casey-like (22) and his power is in decline (also Casey-like). If he sits on the bench to spell Dunn and the occasional outfielder or to pinch hit, I like what he brings to the bench. If he is viewed as an insurance player at 1B that will allow a later trade of an OF'er or Dunn, I like the signing a lot less.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    Hatteberg can also serve as the emergency third catcher, which is good to have. Of course, this also gives a reasonable option to play first if Dunn is traded -- a little leverage if you will.

I'm also glad that we're finally looking at backups who are legitimate major leaguers rather than guys like Cruz who are the absolute definition of replacement level.
    That says it all. How long has it been that we actually signed a backup player that just might contribute? I know, Joe Randa, but he was temporary from the get-go and put up huge numbers against his career statistics while he was here. If this is the kind of backup player our new GM is after, this is quite a change. And for the better. Instead of hoping Jacob Cruz can backup whoever, we have a guy who's played the position and pretty well. A real major leaguer.

As for trading Kearns, pena, or Dunn, I don't know. It seems to state a doubt that all three of the outfielders will be healthy all season. If that happens, you move Dunn to the OF and plug in Hatteburg at first and off you go. That kind of thinking didn't exist under O'Brien.

I'm pleased.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Hatteberg instantly replaces Casey's "good guy" factor in the clubhouse.

Interesting that Almaraz keeps international scouting to go with farm director. Not sure how I feel about that. Almaraz clearly had an eye for talent once upon a time, but he's been shooting blanks most of this century. I'm concerned that he got institutionalized.

So Naehring's the haircut monitor?

Miller and, especially, Nethery are interesting additions.
    Technically, Almarez's title is director of player development/international operations. Not international scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    # First baseman Scott Hatteberg has agreed to a one-year major league contract. A corresponding roster move will be announced tomorrow. Don't imagine that bodes too well for Jacob Cruz's chances of making the team out of camp.

# Johnny Almaraz, formerly the director of international scouting, is the Reds' new director of player development and international scouting.

# Tim Naehring, who had held the farm director's job for more than five years, replaces the fired Bob Miscik as minor league field coordinator.

# Bob Miller has been named director of baseball administration. He spent the past seven seasons with the Diamondbacks as director of major league operations and later assistant GM. Sounds like he'll be filling Brad Kullman's shoes.

# Scott Nethery has been named special assistant to the GM for player personnel. He was with the Mets last year and the Braves for 13 years prior to that, most of it in scouting.
    So who is going to head up the statistical analysis department that will keep all these tools scouts in check?
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    You are reading too much into this move.
    Maybe...maybe not...I am just throwing stuff out to discuss...the biggest need in this organization begins and ends with pitching...check that, quality pitching...you are going to get very little of that if you move Pena or Kearns at this point...move Dunn? You get some good pitching in return.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

If I'm Jacob Cruz I'm very, very scared right now. His life just got a lot more difficult.

If an OF gets hurt or traded I'd imagine Freel goes into the OF instead of Dunn. With the work of trying to transform him into a 1B I doubt they'll jack him around and toss him back into the OF when they've got someone else capable of the job.

With the work of trying to transform him into a 1B I doubt they'll jack him around and toss him back into the OF when they've got someone else capable of the job.
    I don't know I'm betting that he gets at least 20 games in the OF, Dunn played first all the way until ML ball so the transition isn't going to be as rough as we think.

But I'm imagining that the days of a PH only like Cruz isn't going to cut it anymore and playing part of the field and having some skills at working the count can be important from 23-25 on the roster too.

For what it's worth, here is the Rotoworld assessment:

Reds signed first baseman Scott Hatteberg, who had been with the Athletics, to a one-year, $750,000 contract.
    Not very impressed with this, especially since it's a major league deal and Cincinnati already had a full 40-man roster. Hatteberg isn't even of a lot of use as a defensive replacement. He could be a fine pinch-hitter, but the Reds already have one of those in Jacob Cruz, and unlike Cruz, Hatteberg isn't an option in the outfield. He's not someone who should be guaranteed a job at this point of his career. Feb. 12 - 1:48 pm et
    I tend to view this move in a more positive light. The 40 man roster isn't exactly chock-full of All-Stars, especially on the fringes where the corresponding move will occur (Ahem, Mr. Womack?). Hatteberg may not be able to play in the outfield, but he can back up at 1B, PH, and serve as the emergency catcher if Narron decides to use Valentin to pinch hit. He can still get on base at a decent clip and can generate a SF, if needed (4th in the AL in that category in 2004). I'd rather he signed a minor league deal, as well, but I don't mind a $750K major league deal either if the guy is going to be used in a backup role.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Clay
    (4th in the AL in that category in 2004)
    And only had 2 last year in 535 PA's and in fact never has had more than 3 in a year but that one... no offense but SF is the iffyest stat ever produced to make anyone look good, especially considering that the Reds record is held by Johnny Temple and even Junior Kennedy had 8 in 1980.

Turn Off Ads?