Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed

Hatteberg signed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hatteberg signed

Interesting signing. As Marc said, that certainly changes the bench a little bit. Hurts Cruz, hurt Stratton possibly. I'll have to look up his stats as a PH.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Krivsky has made more moves in one week than O'Brien did in one year.

I like the Hatteberg signing. Gives us another lefthanded hitter with some pop for the bench while backing up Dunn at lst base.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

# First baseman Scott Hatteberg has agreed to a one-year major league contract. A corresponding roster move will be announced tomorrow. Don't imagine that bodes too well for Jacob Cruz's chances of making the team out of camp.

# Johnny Almaraz, formerly the director of international scouting, is the Reds' new director of player development and international scouting.

# Tim Naehring, who had held the farm director's job for more than five years, replaces the fired Bob Miscik as minor league field coordinator.

# Bob Miller has been named director of baseball administration. He spent the past seven seasons with the Diamondbacks as director of major league operations and later assistant GM. Sounds like he'll be filling Brad Kullman's shoes.

# Scott Nethery has been named special assistant to the GM for player personnel. He was with the Mets last year and the Braves for 13 years prior to that, most of it in scouting.

There's your backup 1st baseman.
    Almaraz and Naehring stick around = Boo.
    Go Gators!

Am I reading correctly that Almaraz is replacing Naehring, or is Naehring's role not yet filled?

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    There's your backup 1st baseman.
    Almaraz and Naehring stick around = Boo.
    I think bumping up Amaraz up the organizational ladder is good. He knows talent. Naehring's gets a bump down the ladder but still plays an important role as coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    Interesting signing. As Marc said, that certainly changes the bench a little bit. Hurts Cruz, hurt Stratton possibly. I'll have to look up his stats as a PH.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=3353

I like this signing because it improves the strength of our bench.

Solid move. Sures up the backup 1st baseman spot, and he has the ability to start if (god forbid) one of the outfielders go down and Dunn shifts back to the outfielder.

Don't suppose it hurts to have a serviceable backup at first base rather than Valentin or Cruz being the choice.

Surprised Hatterberg signed on to be a backup, he won't (hopefully) get 450 at bats with us
    Go Gators!

Hatteberg instantly replaces Casey's "good guy" factor in the clubhouse.

Interesting that Almaraz keeps international scouting to go with farm director. Not sure how I feel about that. Almaraz clearly had an eye for talent once upon a time, but he's been shooting blanks most of this century. I'm concerned that he got institutionalized.

So Naehring's the haircut monitor?

Miller and, especially, Nethery are interesting additions.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Not a bad signing. The Reds needed a back up first baseman IMO. I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of using Valentin or Cruz there.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

A good signing, improves the bench and provides some insurance in the unlikely event one of the starting OF'rs gets injured (or dealt) and Dunn has to go back out there.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redny
    A good signing, improves the bench and provides some insurance in the unlikely event one of the starting OF'rs gets injured (or dealt) and Dunn has to go back out there.
    You're an optimist.

Scott's agent will probably look wise to direct him to the Reds. I would be very surprised if Griffey stays healthy all year AND nobody gets traded. One of the two will happen, almost certainly, and if it does happen, Scott should get 400 plate appearances.

I don't know what to think of the signing. Certainly if last year is all he has left, then this is kinda a waste.

The bigger story is Naehring's demotion. And yes, it's absolutely a demotion.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?