Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed

Man Pills

Re: Hatteberg signed

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Gives him some flexibility to move one of the outfielders too, without having to worry about a quick fix at first.
    One of the outfielders who isn't going to get moved (Dunn) can play first and one of the outfielders who can't get moved (Griffey) can play it in a pinch. My guess is that's a move based on a belief that Hatteberg can help our bench. I disagree.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    This is a signing if viewed in isolation would seem to be a bleh move, but my first thought is that this move is anticipating some turnover in the outfield that will move the first baseman back to the outfield.
    Yes it's a flexibilty move and another thing everone misses is that SH has a great road OB% the past 3 years, the Colisium is death to hitters at times and last year it dragged him down mightly as well.

BTW Cruz has this line over the last 2 seasons, is it really that special?

.230/.321/.372/.693 - 271 at bats

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    One of the outfielders who isn't going to get moved (Dunn) can play first and one of the outfielders who can't get moved (Griffey) can play it in a pinch. My guess is that's a move based on a belief that Hatteberg can help our bench. I disagree.
    I'd rather have Hatteberg than Jacob Cruz as long as Hatteburg doesn't end up starting.

If this is a precursor to moving an OF and playing Hatteburg as the everyday first baseman, then I won't be too happy about it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

How do you know Dunn won't be moved? Or any of the others, for that matter?

Not that I know that they will be, but this shores up the bench and makes us more flexible if the right deal comes along.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'd rather have Hatteberg than Jacob Cruz as long as Hatteburg doesn't end up starting.

If this is a precursor to moving an OF and playing Hatteburg as the everyday first baseman, then I won't be too happy about it.
    At least Cruz can field a couple of positions, without much dropoff in effectiveness. Obviously Cruz is no great shakes, but why add more of the same, but less versatile?

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    How do you know Dunn won't be moved? Or any of the others, for that matter?

Not that I know that they will be, but this shores up the bench and makes us more flexible if the right deal comes along.
    Let me just put it this way. If Dunn is moved, and Cy Young doesn't return in his place, I could field first base for the Reds and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference at that point. So at the very least, they could save $750,000. I'd rather just pray they find a way to keep Dunn than to entertain the thought of this crew trading him.

At least Cruz can field a couple of positions, without much dropoff in effectiveness. Obviously Cruz is no great shakes, but why add more of the same, but less versatile?
    SH is a better first baseman than Cruz, who also is a BUTCHER in the oF, I don't know what your definition of field well is but it differs than mine when comparing the two.

Plus SH can work the count much better than Cruz

Well, I'm not sold on Cruz as a fielder and any position really. As it stands right now, the Reds have enough depth that Cruz should NEVER get a start in the OF anyway. I know Hatteburg has almost no pop but I think he has better OBP skills than Cruz, so I believe it's an upgrade.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

At least Cruz can field a couple of positions, without much dropoff in effectiveness.
    If that were true Cruz wouldn't have been the last player on an Opening Day roster last year to start a game in the field. The fact that he appeared in 110 games last year and only appeared as a fielder in 25 tells you what the Reds think of his fielding ability.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    BTW Cruz has this line over the last 2 seasons, is it really that special?

.230/.321/.372/.693 - 271 at bats
    Is it really that much worse than the .265/.349/.384/.733 line Hatteberg's put up the last three seasons?
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Let me just put it this way. If Dunn is moved, and Cy Young doesn't return in his place, I could field first base for the Reds and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference at that point. So at the very least, they could save $750,000. I'd rather just pray they find a way to keep Dunn than to entertain the thought of this crew trading him.

If we can't get Dunn to agree to a long term contract, we're going to have to trade him eventually. He may have already decided not to stay here.

Also, if we can move Wily Mo (my preference) for pitching, Dunn can immediately move back to left. If SH is a bust at first, we've got time to replace him. If he's adequate given the new mixture with whatever trade is made, all the better.

More flexible, stronger bench.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Well, I'm not sold on Cruz as a fielder and any position really. As it stands right now, the Reds have enough depth that Cruz should NEVER get a start in the OF anyway. I know Hatteburg has almost no pop but I think he has better OBP skills than Cruz, so I believe it's an upgrade.
    Yeah, I know I want to add a player who has to armwrestle with Jacob Cruz over who has the most to bring to a club. As I said, Cruz is no great shakes, so why another brutal defender who is just as slow as Cruz, but who has marginally better OBP? Just seems like a monumental waste of time, to me. Considering the real heavy-lifting this team needs to do. I'd just dig through the minor league free agents and find me a backup for 1st instead of pissing away money a la VanderWal.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Is it really that much worse than the .265/.349/.384/.733 line Hatteberg's put up the last three seasons?
    Yes it is.

First off SH plays in an extreme pitchers park and got probably more AB's than he needed, plus his Road OB was damn good last year.

On a team that just had the 25th most EBH's in the history of the game I don't think slugging is the problem the bench is trying to fix.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Y
    On a team that just had the 25th most EBH's in the history of the game I don't think slugging is the problem the bench is trying to fix.
    Then what IS it trying to fix? And I'm sorry, veteran presence doesn't count. What *tangibly* is a move like this trying to fix?

Then what IS it trying to fix? And I'm sorry, veteran presence doesn't count. What *tangibly* is a move like this trying to fix?
    OB% off the bench, being able to work the count, experience on winning teams, competent b/u defense at 1st.

All the crap I'm told I shouldn't care about.

BTW I just remembered my friends mom works for Scott in Seattle, now I'm going to have to work him for some tickets down in SF this august.

Turn Off Ads?