Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Hatteberg signed

Why would anybody want Cruz over Hatterberg? His wonderful OF defense? His great contact ability or eye at the plate (.241/.331/.377)? His speed (4/12 on sb - career)?

Cruz is like Jose Macias. He doesn't do anything well, but he won't embarass you and can play a few positions. He's the kind of guy who adds zero value to a roster, but makes managers more comfortable.

In Dunn, Freel, Denorfia, we'll have 3 backup OFs already who are better than Cruz. We don't need another guy who is an average at best corner OF. Hatteberg can give us an adequate bat and glove at 1B while Dunn slides back to LF on the occasion somebody gets hurt or needs a day off -- without needing to take Freel off 2B.

Am I really happy? Of course not. But it improves the club, which is good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It will be nice to have a pinch hitter coming up late in the game to face closers like Brad Lidge with a chance of knocking in the winning run.

I think even Hatteberg knows playing everyday is not an option.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Yeah, I know I want to add a player who has to armwrestle with Jacob Cruz over who has the most to bring to a club. As I said, Cruz is no great shakes, so why another brutal defender who is just as slow as Cruz, but who has marginally better OBP? Just seems like a monumental waste of time, to me. Considering the real heavy-lifting this team needs to do. I'd just dig through the minor league free agents and find me a backup for 1st instead of pissing away money a la VanderWal.
    I think you're the only one making the case that it is arm-wrestling with Jacob Cruz. Hatteberg had three serviceable seasons as an everday 1bman with the A's and has the positive attributes WOY has already pointed out. Cruz is one-dimensional (lefty PHer off the bench) that is really a 26th man. He's so valuable he signed a minor league contract the last two years and had to make the team out of spring training.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I thought Cruz was one of the best PH in the league....am I thinking of somebody else?

I hate a move like this....just gives either Krivsky an excuse to trade an OF for a bunch of junk or it gives Neahring the excuse to futz with the line up night after night.

Now we will hear that WMP sits so that Neahring can get LH bats into the line up.....so Adam Dunn plays ping pong ball again for another year.

If you guys want Dunn to stay, allowing the manager to play him a different position every night is not a good thing. Let Adam get a chance to be the All-star 1B in a Reds uni and maybe he will learn to like it here.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm OK with it. If Jacob Cruz wasn't Krivsky's answer to "who's the backup at first" and "who's the primary lefty pinch-hitter," then a move like this was coming, be it Hatteberg or someone else. Hatteberg may be only a little better than Cruz at this stage of his career, but he's better, and little upgrades help too. (As long as they come at little cost.)
    Not all who wander are lost

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    I thought Cruz was one of the best PH in the league....am I thinking of somebody else?

I hate a move like this....just gives either Krivsky an excuse to trade an OF for a bunch of junk or it gives Neahring the excuse to futz with the line up night after night.

Now we will hear that WMP sits so that Neahring can get LH bats into the line up.....so Adam Dunn plays ping pong ball again for another year.

If you guys want Dunn to stay, allowing the manager to play him a different position every night is not a good thing. Let Adam get a chance to be the All-star 1B in a Reds uni and maybe he will learn to like it here.
    First, if naehring is the one messing with the line up there is something wrong. second, yeah, Cruz was one of the best PH in the league, but in my opinion he was not a very good backup player, so that is what is called a weakness, SH strengthens up the bench because he can fill in if needed, not just walk up to the plate once a night to hopefully get a hit. By good PH you are saying that cruz got 20 pinch hits last year, did that help us get to .500? No. Will losing a few hits by this move make us lose 10 more games. I doubt it. Are you just looking for something to be mad about or what, this move has very few implications on this season, we had the most runs in the league last year, where did that get us? If anything, like was stated before, it gives us flexibility to trade an OF, and that doesn't mean Dunn would have to move to the outfield, we also have Freel to move out there.
    Last edited by acredsfan; 02-12-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I think you're the only one making the case that it is arm-wrestling with Jacob Cruz. Hatteberg had three serviceable seasons as an everday 1bman with the A's and has the positive attributes WOY has already pointed out. Cruz is one-dimensional (lefty PHer off the bench) that is really a 26th man. He's so valuable he signed a minor league contract the last two years and had to make the team out of spring training.
    No. You're all wrong. I wasn't the one to bring up Cruz in the first place. Check the thread.

Personally, I think the Casey for Williams trade blows this acquisition out of the water--and I thought that trade was, well, a salary dump.

I wonder how anyone can genuinely distinguish this kind of acquisition from DanO's pickups of Randa, VanderWal, or Aurilia.

What if DanO were still here and he were the one who made the move? Would there be similar enthusiasm for the move? You can put a urinal in an art museum, but it's still a urinal.

He's better than Cruz, is more versatile than Cruz, isn't an institution on a losing team as Cruz has been.

Keep shaking, Wayne.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    He's better than Cruz, is more versatile than Cruz, isn't an institution on a losing team as Cruz has been.

Keep shaking, Wayne.
    Wow, you know it's so funny how this argument has been warped and twisted into me saying "Cruz=good; Hatteberg=bad."

Wrong. Completely false. Cruz was used as a point of comparison to Hatteberg. Personally, I want neither on my team--not both.

Blow it up. Make it dull.

One of the outfielders who isn't going to get moved (Dunn) can play first and one of the outfielders who can't get moved (Griffey) can play it in a pinch.
    Dunn IS playing first. Griffey won't be playing first any time soon, not even in a pinch. It's been reported several times why he physically can't.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

At least Cruz can field a couple of positions, without much dropoff in effectiveness. Obviously Cruz is no great shakes, but why add more of the same, but less versatile?
    My thoughts (and hopes!) exactly, '52! Wonder if my parents or yours actually had twins?

---rSquared

Blow it up. Make it dull.
    Well, this late in the off season you can pee on any fire they start.

Can't have change without change.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    OB% off the bench, being able to work the count, experience on winning teams, competent b/u defense at 1st.

All the crap I'm told I shouldn't care about.
    I'll back that up. He gives the Reds what Hal Morris did in the late '90s.

Hopefully he bumps a no-hit IF off the 25-man roster, preferably Tony Womack.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Well, this late in the off season you can pee on any fire they start.

Can't have change without change.

You still haven't described how this move substantively differs from DanO's acquisition of VanderWal a few years ago. Actually VanderWal was a much better expenditure of $750,000.

Everybody keeps saying that Cruz had more PH than anyone in the majors last year, big deal that's all he did. He ph like 80+ times and only got 20 hits thats not all that great stat wise, plus he K"s like 33% of the time. He is also one dimensional something this team dosn't need. Hatteberg gives us for starters more bench depth, a solid backup 1b, and insurance for a trade later on involving one of our outfielder's. I'll be willing to bet that if Kearns or Pena get hot then Krivy wont be hesitent to pull a deal netting us a top flight gun slinger.

Turn Off Ads?