Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed

Re: Hatteberg signed

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    So sorry, insert Narron for Nearhing.....taking this stuff for vertigo and the brain farts are coming faster than I can type. Sorry again.

Makes you management material in my world.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That's your opinion, you have discounted his experience, his on base skills and his ability to translate those skills at the cost of 750K.

What to you want for nothing a week into the job?
    Thank you woy.

The main complaint so far seems to be: "What? That's all? That won't change the fortunes of this team in any meaningful way!"

To which, everyone might reply...duh. Of course it won't. But for a lot of us, this is an upgrade, albeit a small one, over what was here. And that's not a bad start. For once, I would like a series of moves that actually make this club better, and Hatteberg instead of Cruz does that as far as I am concerned.

As for the bigger picture, nothing is likely to happen to be that big splash some seem to be yearning for. Which is good. No one should be dealt just to assuage people in the short term. If the best deals don't crop up until July, then the Reds should wait.

Nice strawman you have set up there, FCB, but I don't recall anyone opining this makes the club a playoff contender, just that it makes them in a small way better. Which it does.

The main complaint so far seems to be: "What? That's all? That won't change the fortunes of this team in any meaningful way!"

To which, everyone might reply...duh. Of course it won't. But for a lot of us, this is an upgrade, albeit a small one, over what was here. And that's not a bad start. For once, I would like a series of moves that actually make this club better, and Hatteberg instead of Cruz does that as far as I am concerned.

As for the bigger picture, nothing is likely to happen to be that big splash some seem to be yearning for. Which is good. No one should be dealt just to assuage people in the short term. If the best deals don't crop up until July, then the Reds should wait.

Nice strawman you have set up there, FCB, but I don't recall anyone opining this makes the club a playoff contender, just that it makes them in a small way better. Which it does.
    Excellent post, membengal.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Just for fun..how bout this lineup

2B Womack
    SS Lopez
    3B Aurilia
    1B Hatterberg
    RF Kearns
    LF Pena
    CF Deno
    C Valentin
    Coming to a get-away day lineup near you!

If Rotoworld's against it, then I'm for it!
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

750K mistakes are the kind I want my GM to make.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    750K mistakes are the kind I want my GM to make.
    I'm looking to make a few .473 Liter mistakes. That hockey game almost over?
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by membengal

Strawman? That's just what you've done. Never once did I characterize the other sides' argument as positing that this acquisition makes the Reds a "playoff contender." I said that it doesn't change things. Nothing more, nothing less.

But people see what they want to see in things.

To show you that I'm trying to objectively look at things: I think Kullman's acquisition of White was a waste of time and resources, too.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 02-12-2006 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    Excellent post, membengal.
    I think this signing can be harmful.....it seems to me that the Reds have a guy already who has proven to be a good PH and bench player and can play BOTH OF and 1B (Mr Cruz). So he ain't Mickey Mantle, but he has been useful.

Now you sign a guy who has NOT played the backup role all that much and he is slow and can't play the OF at all and according to seems to be bad a 1B too.

One of these guys doesn't make the team......so you cut Cruz, then Hatteburg turns out to NOT be a good bench guy or PH.

As much as this might be called a little thing in MAYBE helping, it could also be a little thing in HURTING also.

So let's NOT portray it as oh well, can't hurt.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Hatteberg plays 1B at least as well as Sean Casey. And I'm guessing he could still catch in a bind.

Anyway, I don't see why the Reds can't carry Cruz and Hatteberg, though if I could only carry one it would be Hatteberg.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'm looking to make a few .473 Liter mistakes. That hockey game almost over?
    Be there in 25 minutes

So they keep Denorfia, Cruz AND Hatteburg? Then it is OK with me....but I don't see that. I cannot recall hearing a team keep a backup 1B that was only that. 1B is usually backed up by almost any other position.....but a guy who can ONLY backup 1B?

I don't get it. I do like having an emergency 3ed catcher but ONLY if Narron acts like he has one. If Valetin rots in the late innings because he is considered the only backup, then Hatteburg doesn't count as a catcher in my book.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    No, you're right. It isn't a big deal. That's part of the problem.

It does nothing to change the fortunes of the club in any capacity.
    No, it doesn't, but not every deal has to be about reshaping the Reds Of The Future. We're not going to the postseason this year, but we still have to play the games, and if we can improve the lot of the 2006 Reds even a little bit without damaging the 2007+ Reds, fine with me. Hatteberg is neither a solution nor a problem. He's a bench player on a one-year contract. That's all.
    Not all who wander are lost

I cannot recall hearing a team keep a backup 1B that was only that. 1B is usually backed up by almost any other position.....but a guy who can ONLY backup 1B?
    Hal Morris 1999-2000

Thanks WOY, my favorite player.....

I do not recall Hal being a backup for very long....also (as much as I was not a Morris fan) Hatteburg is no Hal Morris. At the time, Morris was a young man in search of a batting title. Morris was only a backup until he could beat out Todd Bensinger for the permanent job.

BTW, at the time that Hal was first called up, 1999-2000, he also played some outfield.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

The thing I like about this signing is that when one of Dunn, Kearns, Pena, Griffey injures themselves Hatteberg can start and be a decent player. He could replace them and play decently. I don't feel nearly as comfortable with Cruz in that role since the only time he gets hits is as a ph.

Also he will probably steal at-bats from Womack.

Turn Off Ads?