Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 175

Thread: Hatteberg signed

  1. #106
    Puffy 3:16 Puffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Panama City Beach
    Posts
    13,771

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    Thanks WOY, my favorite player.....

    I do not recall Hal being a backup for very long....also (as much as I was not a Morris fan) Hatteburg is no Hal Morris. At the time, Morris was a young man in search of a batting title. Morris was only a backup until he could beat out Todd Bensinger for the permanent job.

    BTW, at the time that Hal was first called up, 1999-2000, he also played some outfield.
    Hal Morris was called up in the late 80's, and played for the Reds championship team in 1990.

    By 1999 he was, basically, washed up and only could be a backup
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,147

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    22 GIDP in 2005 (464 AB). Looks like Casey's replacement has been found!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  4. #108
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,963

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    22 GIDP in 2005 (464 AB). Looks like Casey's replacement has been found!

  5. #109
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,651

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I view this about the same as i did Randa. I don't care either way. It's not a move generating any emotion either way.

    However, I disagree completely with the argument that it gives them flexibility to trade one of the outfielders or Dunn. A significant decision to trade or not trade one of these assets, or even what makes an acceptabble return, should not AT ALL hinge on how it affects the 2006 season. I think it's clear to most that this is a transition season at best and they have no chance of contending. I understand that you don't want to go out and lose 100 games, but any decision that will have long-term implications for the franchise (such as trading a Dunn or Kearns), should be made 100% independently of how it affects the 2006 roster, IMO. Making a move like signing Hatteberg, if done for the purpose of "allowing you trade" someone like Kearns or Dunn is poor business, IMO. If the right deal comes along, take it. If the right one doesn't come along, keep them. I'd hate to think that having or not having a Scott Hatteberg was a difference in these kinds of decisions.
    Strawman. All that was argued is that in the event of moving an outfielder, this signing adds depth at an affected position, not that it should trigger a move.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  6. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,364

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Hatteberg is a bench player. I doubt very much it has any bearing on whether Krivisky trades an outfielder for pitching. He will still be a bench player while backing up lst base and be a third string catcher along with being the top lefthanded pinch hitter off the bench.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  7. #111
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    People sure like to use the term "strawman" on this site. I'm wondering how many people actually know what it means because it's used incorrectly A LOT!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #112
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,651

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    People sure like to use the term "strawman" on this site. I'm wondering how many people actually know what it means because it's used incorrectly A LOT!
    Ah, glad to see you posting MWM. You always keep me humble with the backhands.

    Strawman, presenting a flawed argument that is not actually made during a discussion but presenting it as if it was and then defeating the argument that was not actually made. In other words, defeating one's own flawed argument.

    BTW, folks use a lot of strawman arguments on this board, hence the identification of such
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-12-2006 at 09:21 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  9. #113
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,459

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Signing is not surprising. Dunn is new at first base. It makes sense that one of the bench players will be, primarily, a first baseman. Not that Hatteberg is a defensive whiz, but first has been his main position over a lengthy career.

    Also, Hatteberg is a low strikeout hitter. Since the Reds lineup is filled with high strikeout guys (particularly since Casey is now gone), Hatteberg seems a good choice, assuming he has anything left in the tank.

    Have to assume Cruz will be gone. Reds have plenty of outfield depth since Freel, Womack, and Denorfia all play or can play outfield.

  10. #114
    White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Tybee Island, GA
    Posts
    1,943

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Rotoworld also mentioned the Reds as one of three teams interested in Richard Hidalgo. Hidalgo (& Hatteberg) could make some sense if one of Kearns, Dunn, Griffey or Wily Mo are on their way out.

    It will be interesting to see if Castellini & Krivsky are as attached to Junior as Lindner et al. were as a hometown attraction. Not saying whether they should or shouldn't be, but there could be a lot less hesitation to move him with a new sheriff in town.
    "I fought because I understood and could not bear to understand, that it was my destiny -- unlike that of my father, whose fate it was to hear the roar of the crowd -- to sit in the stands with most men and acclaim others. It was my fate, my destiny, my end, to be a fan."

  11. #115
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,370

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Rotoworld also mentioned the Reds as one of three teams interested in Richard Hidalgo. Hidalgo (& Hatteberg) could make some sense if one of Kearns, Dunn, Griffey or Wily Mo are on their way out.

    It will be interesting to see if Castellini & Krivsky are as attached to Junior as Lindner et al. were as a hometown attraction. Not saying whether they should or shouldn't be, but there could be a lot less hesitation to move him with a new sheriff in town.
    Wow. Yes it appears that on of them will be on the way out then.

    Interesting.

  12. #116
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,643

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    I doubt JR is going anywhere, his 10-5 rights would probably scuttle most deals.
    Go Gators!

  13. #117
    Please come again pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    portland, oregon
    Posts
    14,745

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la
    Thanks WOY, my favorite player.....

    I do not recall Hal being a backup for very long....also (as much as I was not a Morris fan) Hatteburg is no Hal Morris. At the time, Morris was a young man in search of a batting title. Morris was only a backup until he could beat out Todd Bensinger for the permanent job.

    BTW, at the time that Hal was first called up, 1999-2000, he also played some outfield.
    Interesting. I looked it up b/c that's how I remember it too. Hal played 9 games in outfield for the Yankees, 7 for the Reds, and 39 for the Royals in 1998. Then when he came back to the Reds in 1999-2000 he played 5 more games in the OF. he played 1 for Detroit in 2000 as well.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

  14. #118
    Where's my chair? REDREAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    20,977

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    OB% off the bench, being able to work the count, experience on winning teams, competent b/u defense at 1st.

    All the crap I'm told I shouldn't care about.
    .
    I agree with you WOY. I like this move. It's not going to turn the club around, but for only 750k (and this late in the season), it helps.

    Hattenberg also gives us flexiblity to trade Dunn or one of the OF.. Yes, I know Hattenberg isn't an ideal starting player, but if the team decides to rebuild, they'll need some bodies to field a team.

    Hattenberg gives the team some depth, and is an upgrade from Cruz, good move, IMo.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

    Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

  15. #119
    We are the angry mob cincyinco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The 303
    Posts
    2,536

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Its certainly a better signing than Frank Meninchino..

    isn't it?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

    -Hunter S. Thompson

  16. #120
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,984

    Re: Hatteberg signed

    Cruz had a .236/.324/.409 line last year in 127 ABs. I don't care how many pinch hits he got, that's not good.

    Hatteberg had a .256/.334/.343 line last year as a starter. That's also not good.

    However, Jacob Cruz would be the 7th guy on the team who could play OF, 8th if you count Womack (I don't). He does not play it that well -- ie. he wouldn't be a late game sub, just a pinch hitter. Hatteberg, given his career and last few years, is a better defensive 1B and more likely to get on base. Neither guy is a power threat. I can't believe such a minor move has gotten so much discussion, but I see no argument on why Cruz would be a better option. This says nothing about Hatteberg's ability to catch in a pinch.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25