Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Hatteberg signed

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Hatteberg signed

With just over 3 days until the team reports to camp, this is about the only kind of free agent acquisition you can do.

You sign a player like Hatteberg, hope he contributes and (in a perfect world) contributes enough to make him worth a prospect at the deadline. Otherwise, he's a warm body that can fill a bench spot on a team that at least needs to field a squad for 162 contests this season, even if many many losses are already in the cards.

It's not a great move, it's not a bad move...it's just some roster churning. At worst, it at least guarantees that the team is not just handing Jacob Cruz a roster spot because he still has all his jerseys from last season. He plays middling defense, and somehow I think that just isn't going to cut it on a team run by a former Twins exec.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Unless the Reds have a change of heart and sign Jeff Weaver to a one-year deal.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

I have a feeling that he'll get alot of playing time and once again cause a platoon in the outfield. I don't like it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Unless the Reds have a change of heart and sign Jeff Weaver to a one-year deal.
    The Angels want an answer from Weaver by Wednesday. We should know where he goes by then.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I think if anything, this signing is most similar to the RA signing last year. Pray that isn't so.

Hope that Kriv knows what dead weight Tony Womack is. Hope he knows what SH's role should be: pinch hitter, backup 1B, #3 catcher.

And if that is the case, then I'm ok with it. If DanO had signed him, I'd be concerned. We know his track record there.

But if this is the minor move that it appears to be, then we drop the weakest member of the 25 man roster to make room for him. And that weak link is Womack.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I think if anything, this signing is most similar to the RA signing last year. Pray that isn't so.
    There's a big difference between the Aurilia signing and the Hatteberg signing. Aurilia was competing with Lopez for a starting job. Hatteberg is not competing with anyone for a starting job.

Hope that Kriv knows what dead weight Tony Womack is. Hope he knows what SH's role should be: pinch hitter, backup 1B, #3 catcher.

And if that is the case, then I'm ok with it. If DanO had signed him, I'd be concerned. We know his track record there.

But if this is the minor move that it appears to be, then we drop the weakest member of the 25 man roster to make room for him. And that weak link is Womack.
    I think Womack should be on the next bus out of town but I think someone else will get the boot before he does and I think the most likely candidate is the Bonger.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

What's up with Durazo? I'd take him over Hatteburg.... Maybe he wants to start. I could see him signing with a team like the O's but he would have been a better pickup.

He can't play D..of any sort
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Its certainly a better signing than Frank Meninchino..

isn't it?
    Maybe, but we don't get to hear Marty try and say that name
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    There's a big difference between the Aurilia signing and the Hatteberg signing. Aurilia was competing with Lopez for a starting job. Hatteberg is not competing with anyone for a starting job.
    No, when RA was signed it was as a backup. Aurilia made it clear he was competing for the SS position, and expected to have it. Miley handed him the job despite the fact he was outplayed by a younger, better player.

Now I doubt SH could supplant Dunn, but he could knock AK or WMP out of a starting OF position, and move Dunn back to LF.

And yeah, I do think that is possible.
    Suck it up cupcake.

That would be horrible.

Pena and Kearns need to play everyday even if sucking wind because we need to know what we have in them.

This team won't be winning anything, play the kids.
    Go Gators!

No, when RA was signed it was as a backup. Aurilia made it clear he was competing for the SS position, and expected to have it. Miley handed him the job despite the fact he was outplayed by a younger, better player.

Now I doubt SH could supplant Dunn, but he could knock AK or WMP out of a starting OF position, and move Dunn back to LF.

There's no way that's going to happen. AK and WMP will play every day (or just about). This is the season they'll either show what they've got or fall on their face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I'm convinced that AK will be given every chance to play everyday and show what he's got. I'm not as sure on WMP. I think if a good deal presents itself, they'd be willing to move on that to sacrifice his power for an upgrade to the pitching.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Nevertheless there was a competition for the job.

And if you think Hatteberg can knock WMP or Kearns out of a starting OF position, you need to take off the tinfoil hat. If one of them are traded I could see Dunn moving back to the OF and Hatteberg playing 1st on a regular basis but not even in DanO and Miley's world is Hatteberg going to start if Pena, Kearns, Jr and Dunn are all healthy.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    And if you think Hatteberg can knock WMP or Kearns out of a starting OF position, you need to take off the tinfoil hat.
    Doesn't really matter. This team badly needs an upgrade in CF. Trading WMP and moving Dunn back to LF really doesn't solve anything.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?