Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan withdraws from Oylmpics

Re: Michelle Kwan withdraws from Oylmpics

I'm lucky that I live close enough to Canada to get CBC, they're much better than NBC. Unfortunately I think this is CBC's last Olympics, and the new Canadian host is a channel I don't get.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Actually, I thought NBC did a decent job yesterday. Got to see downhill, snowboarding, ski jumping, short track, long track and luge. I would have liked to see more of the downhill and ski jumping, but there certainly seemed to be a steady stream of actual sports.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Actually, I thought NBC did a decent job yesterday. Got to see downhill, snowboarding, ski jumping, short track, long track and luge. I would have liked to see more of the downhill and ski jumping, but there certainly seemed to be a steady stream of actual sports.
    I would've liked to have seen a steady stream of live sports.

They had live coverage today on USA. Seems a natural to have live coverage on a Sunday.

NBC's event coverage wasn't bad, now that they've stopped being so overnationalistic and show non-U. S. athletes and sports on occaision. But when I can watch an event on CBC 7 hours before NBC bothers to get around to it there's not much incentive to watch NBC.

At least they've gotten away from the overly sentimental back-story vignettes. I hate those. I think it was '94 where CBS just went over the top with them.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    I'd would've helped if they hadn't waited until 3 p.m. to televise something besides women's hockey. No live coverage on a Sunday. Then when they do come on they show 2 minutes of action...2 mintues of commercials...rinse and repeat.

NBC has made the Olympics almost unwatchable.
    I'm enjoying the coverage a lot.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I heard there was talk about Kwan doing TV commentary for the skating now that she's out but it looks like that's not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I heard there was talk about Kwan doing TV commentary for the skating now that she's out but it looks like that's not the case.
    I read that she turned down the offer because she didn't want to be a distraction.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...kwan-nbc_x.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I'm enjoying the coverage a lot.
    Just don't make the mistake of going to any news site because all the coverage is tape delayed
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Just don't make the mistake of going to any news site because all the coverage is tape delayed

The biggest, most-often-forgotten-that-it-was-a-tape-delay tape delay in Olympic history was the U.S. hockey team vs. the Russians in 1980. Everyone knew who won by the time it aired in primetime.

True, but that was before sport sites and news sites that we go to hourly, back then if you wanted to avoid hearing it, it was easier just don't watch the news

Now..I head to ESPN for a baseball check and I see the winners at the top of the screen, no way to avoid that
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    True, but that was before sport sites and news sites that we go to hourly, back then if you wanted to avoid hearing it, it was easier just don't watch the news

Now..I head to ESPN for a baseball check and I see the winners at the top of the screen, no way to avoid that
    Well now it's flat out impossible, though the 1980 game proved unavoidable. My family tried radio silence, but my grandmother called and my mother answered because she's biologically incapable of letting a phone ring. Even if she hadn't answered and then responded (sheepishly) "Oh ... that's ... great," Jim McKay's quick intro before they aired the game was done in front of pack of folks chanting "U-S-A, U-S-A!" That pretty well tipped you off if had managed to steer clear of anything broadcast over the airwaves up until that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    NBC has made the Olympics almost unwatchable.
    Amen!
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I swear that most on here can never find the good in anything.

In our small world, it's impossible to keep things under wraps... I don't have a problem. I just don't go to the news sites or watch the news until later.

How would you guys suggest they air the games to make them better, especially during the week when people work. I'm sure the NBC execs would love to hear your suggestions.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Air them live on at least 1 of the 5 channels they have them going on, and not just hockey and curling.

Drop the personal stories to maybe 1 a night.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?