Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michelle Kwan withdraws from Oylmpics

Michelle Kwan withdraws from Oylmpics

Very disappointing I was really rooting for her.
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Michelle Kwan withdraws from Oylmpics

I'm curious if the snowstorm in the Northeast corridor is going to drastically help NBC's ratings. I never have time to stay home and watch TV anymore, but there was no way I was going outside today.
    Stick to your guns.

Too bad. I can't stand figure skating, but I've always had a small crush on Michelle Kwan. I've always thought her to be an all around beautiful person.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The Olympics are so tough. One chance every four years to win a gold medal, and the career of a skater is so short. Kwan won a ton of titles, and did win silver and bronze medals in prior Olympics, but she will never have the gold. A shame.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

She was nothing but class throughout the press conference. What a disappointment this has to be for her.

She should have taken home gold in 2002.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    The Olympics are so tough. One chance every four years to win a gold medal, and the career of a skater is so short. Kwan won a ton of titles, and did win silver and bronze medals in prior Olympics, but she will never have the gold. A shame.
    Especially since she got screwed 1998. And Kerrigan was screwed in 1994. The "sport" lost a lot of credibility in my eyes with those two decisions. Both times they went to the media darlings and not the rightful owners, IMO. That's primarily why I've never been able to get behind any sort of competitions whcih the winner is determined by judges.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

obviously, this won't be popular on this board, but i think it was a crap move for her to be there in the first place...she had to know she would not be competitive this time around, yet she kept someone else from being there for the opening ceremonies...some people just don't know when to let go and her time was up long ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago
    obviously, this won't be popular on this board, but i think it was a crap move for her to be there in the first place...she had to know she would not be competitive this time around, yet she kept someone else from being there for the opening ceremonies...some people just don't know when to let go and her time was up long ago...
    This is what the media has been playing up for the last several months and the public seems to have latched onto it when the fact is that it is simply not true. I am, confidently/embarrassingly, as obsessed with figure skating as I am with baseball, I used to skate myself, and she absolutely had the tools to be competitive this year had it not been for the injuries. ****skaya, the Russian, is easily the favorite, but Michelle probably stood the best chance of the Americans. Emily Hughes, who is taking her place, just doesn't have the stuff yet, and Cohen is well-known for being a serious choker in competition.

There's no proof that Emily Hughes would have gone to the Opening Ceremonies even if she had been there. And Kwan, lest we forget, was an alternate herself in 1994, in the same exact position. I don't remember this backlash then.

edit: Oh my Lord this board censors the Russian's name. That is fabulous.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I have a hard time taking this sport serious since it's based on judges, last night I watched the pairs and found the Russians to be pretty avg while at least 2 other couples were better, who got the best marks? the Russians of course because they always do, short of falling on their butts they will win gold.

Sad for Kwan, but one heck of a career regardless.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I'm curious if the snowstorm in the Northeast corridor is going to drastically help NBC's ratings. I never have time to stay home and watch TV anymore, but there was no way I was going outside today.
    Great day for sledding.

vaticanplum, iirc there was a wee bit of controversy over women's figure skating in 1994 with a few people insisting maybe one of the entrants didn't deserve to be there.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Great day for sledding.

vaticanplum, iirc there was a wee bit of controversy over women's figure skating in 1994 with a few people insisting maybe one of the entrants didn't deserve to be there.
    Ok, full-fledged geekdom impending: there was some controversy over that team, but that was largely over the pairs competition -- many people felt that the teams that earned their spots at the National Championships (which is how the US Olympic figure skating team is determined) weren't the ones who deserved to go. But there wasn't much issue over the women's team. The Americans had two women's spots that year instead of three, due to Kerrigan's poor performance at the World Championships the year before (this is how the number of spots is determined). Kerrigan got whacked in the knee, Tonya Harding finished first and Kwan was second. So Harding got to go automatically, but the second spot was given to Kerrigan who could not compete at the Nationals. (Harding was eventually stripped of her title after the Olympics when all the stuff went down, but the title was left vacant, not handed to Kwan.)

I think your point is that a lot of people thought Tonya harding didn't deserve to be there, which is fair, but the way it works in skating is that the winner of the Nationals has an automatic Olympic spot, period. Barring legal circumstances, of course, but with Harding that all wasn't determined until after the Olympics.

So Michelle Kwan was in Lillehammer as an alternate and would have taken over for Kerrigan had she proven too injured to compete. She was on standby just as Hughes was. No argument there, due to, you know, the whacked knee and all. And there's no question that Michelle Kwan is a thousand times better skater than kerrigan (who, all told, was very weak in the history of US Skating.)

REMEMBER, DISCLAIMER: I used to skate and I still choreograph for kids when I'm really hard up for money. IT DOES NOT MEAN THAT I LOVE BASEBALL ANY LESS.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 02-12-2006 at 11:36 PM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan started the east coast vs. west coast wars of the '90s. Tupac and Biggie were just collateral damage.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Apparently Tonya used to frequent a bar about a mile from my house called Sewicky's Addition, it's a pretty shady place, even by my standards. For a time a few years ago she lived next door to a friend of mine as well. He claims that screaming was not an infrequent occurence within her household.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    I'd would've helped if they hadn't waited until 3 p.m. to televise something besides women's hockey. No live coverage on a Sunday. Then when they do come on they show 2 minutes of action...2 mintues of commercials...rinse and repeat.

NBC has made the Olympics almost unwatchable.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    NBC has made the Olympics almost unwatchable.
    ..and they are getting worse each time.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?