Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krivsky, was hiring him the best option?

Krivsky, was hiring him the best option?

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...602130377/1071

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky didn't take Sunday off. Before traveling home to Arlington, Texas, Krivsky added a veteran player to the roster, hired two front-office workers and shifted the jobs of two of the Reds' top employees.

The five-transaction Sunday went as follows:

• Signed first baseman Scott Hatteberg to a one-year, $750,000 contract. Krivsky sees Hatteberg as an extra player but his exact role will be up to manager Jerry Narron.
    ADVERTISEMENT

• Hired Bob Miller as director of baseball administration.

• Hired Scott Nethery as special assistant to GM/player personnel.

• Moved Tim Naehring from director of player development to minor-league field coordinator.

• Expanded Johnny Almaraz's role as director of player development/international operations.

Hatteberg, 36, hit .256 with nine home runs and 56 RBI for the Oakland A's last year, his 11th in the majors.

"He lengthens our roster," Krivsky said.

"He's a real pro. He gives you defense. He takes good at-bats. He doesn't strike out a lot."

Hatteberg is a left-handed hitter and he plays first base. That does not mean Hatteberg will play first with Adam Dunn going back to the outfield - unless there's an injury.

"He's a real professional," Narron said. "He gives us insurance if something would happen to Adam Dunn or one of the outfielders."

Hatteberg came up as a catcher. He caught 72 games in 2001. There's a possibility that the Reds will use him as a third/emergency catcher.

"I talked to him last night," Narron said. "He's excited. Here it is February and he didn't have a job. That's surprising. He's a veteran guy who can help you win."

Hatteberg's acquisition also makes it easier to trade an outfielder - Wily Mo Peña or Austin Kearns. In that case, Dunn could go back to playing left field.

Among other things, Miller will help Almaraz in his expanded role. Miller has been in Baseball 24 years - the last seven with Arizona. He was recently an assistant GM.

"Bob's a versatile guy," Krivsky said. "He's worked in all facets - draft, player development, the last couple of years he's been Arizona's farm director. He's a talented guy. He can help Johnny with taking over as a department head."

Nethery spent last year as a special assistant to New York Mets GM Omar Minaya. The previous 13 years Nethery worked for the Atlanta Braves.

"Scott's a talent evaluator," Krivsky said. "He wants to branch out and become a GM someday."

Krivsky said there's a possibility that he'll hire more people, but the key is getting permission from their clubs to talk to them with spring training set to open.

Krivsky said he made the move with Almaraz and Naehring to take advantage of their talents.

"This in no way should be viewed as a demotion for Tim," Krivsky said. "I like my farm director to have a strong background in scouting. That's not a knock on Tim."

Naehring, a former teammate of Hatteberg, was fine with the move.

"This gets me back on the field," Naehring said. "That's what I like to do. I don't want to be a GM. I'm happy with it."

Krivsky plans to go to Sarasota on Wednesday. He hopes to get Dunn's contract resolved before the arbitration hearing Friday.

"We talked a couple of times this weekend," Krivsky said. "We're not at an impasse. We're still talking."
    Last edited by Jpup; 02-13-2006 at 07:02 AM.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Krivsky, was hiring him a mistake?

Krivsky, out of the list of guys interviewed, sounded like the best option to me, but I think I am starting to question my initial thoughts about him. No wonder he likes Jerry Narron.

I am willing to give him some rope, but he's not off to a good start.

Mike Gosling, Scott Hatteberg, and Timo Perez aren't exactly what I would call good players. Hatteberg could be servicable, but Perez and Gosling are bad. I ultimately think these moves won't even matter much as the season goes on, but Krivsky isn't making a good first impression on this Reds fan.

Better than DanO, but color me unimpressed thus far. I hope I'm making a big deal out of nothing.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I think you are.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I think you are.
    After thinking about it, I changed the thread title. A little less harsh.

I think there were some other options that the Reds brass could have explored if it weren't in such a hurry. Krivsky may end up a great GM for years to come, but I am just thinking "what if?" What if the Reds went another direction such as DePodesta? I am still a little miffed at them not interviewing him.
    Last edited by Jpup; 02-13-2006 at 07:05 AM.

Re: Krivsky, was hiring him the best option?

Maybe he wasn't interested.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Krivsky, out of the list of guys interviewed, sounded like the best option to me, but I think I am starting to question my initial thoughts about him. No wonder he likes Jerry Narron.

I am willing to give him some rope, but he's not off to a good start.

Mike Gosling, Scott Hatteberg, and Timo Perez aren't exactly what I would call good players. Hatteberg could be servicable, but Perez and Gosling are bad. I ultimately think these moves won't even matter much as the season goes on, but Krivsky isn't making a good first impression on this Reds fan.

Better than DanO, but color me unimpressed thus far. I hope I'm making a big deal out of nothing.
    I would say you have unrealistic expectations if you are evaluating anyone job's performance after less than a week on the job. If you don't think he was a good choice upon his hire, that's one thing, but evaluating based on a few moves for roster filler?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I would say you have unrealistic expectations if you are evaluating anyone job's performance after less than a week on the job. If you don't think he was a good choice upon his hire, that's one thing, but evaluating based on a few moves for roster filler?
    more the comments than anything. He sounds like DanO and Narron to me. "He doesn't strike out a lot." "He's a real pro." "We won't stop until we are contenders."
    Last edited by Jpup; 02-13-2006 at 07:48 AM.

I have no idea.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Jpup - as much as I like your posts - I must disagree with you on this one. Judging by what's left in the FA pool - for him to be judged by his early moves is preposterous. (And I can't even spell)

At least Krvisky didn't name everyone in his press conference and for him to "blow away" according to RCast (and in the process, not hire a Cardinal cronie) in his interview speaks volumes for me.

If we are in the same position in two-three years then we will talk about his head.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Jpup - as much as I like your posts - I must disagree with you on this one. Judging by what's left in the FA pool - for him to be judged by his early moves is preposterous. (And I can't even spell)

At least Krvisky didn't name everyone in his press conference and for him to "blow away" according to RCast (and in the process, not hire a Cardinal cronie) in his interview speaks volumes for me.

If we are in the same position in two-three years then we will talk about his head.
    I am more worried about his comments than anything. The players don't really bother me that much.

I want to make clear that I am not totally against the guy, I am just getting worried about some of the comments. Sorry guys, I don't mean to jump the gun. Maybe I just need a nap.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I am more worried about his comments than anything. The players don't really bother me that much.

I want to make clear that I am not totally against the guy, I am just getting worried about some of the comments. Sorry guys, I don't mean to jump the gun. Maybe I just need a nap.
    Those are baseball speak comments used by many folks in the game to describe vets, and there is some truth to it. O'Brien was rightly villified for using them because he truly believed that such a thing would make a huge difference.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I'm not sure what you think he should have said.

"We don't think he is all that good, but he was the best one on the junk pile."

Every GM smoozes the press with flowery words about their lastest sign. I would not read anything into his comments. The fact is, Hatteberg might come in handy if Dunn, Junior, Kearns, or Pena goes down with an extended injury.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

The difference between O'Brien making this signing and Krivski making this signing is simple:

Dan O'Brien would have viewed Hatteberg as an important piece who would battle for a starting spot.

Wayne Krivski believes Hatteberg is a bench filler.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    The difference between O'Brien making this signing and Krivski making this signing is simple:

Dan O'Brien would have viewed Hatteberg as an important piece who would battle for a starting spot.

Wayne Krivski believes Hatteberg is a bench filler.
    we'll see and I hope you are right.

He was better then Beattie.

Yeah..that's not much to go on.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?