Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Krivsky will be on XM at 8:30

Re: Krivsky will be on XM at 8:30

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Pedro dominated his share of non strikeout prone teams last year as well. The Marlins only struck out 918 teams last year, only the Giants struck out fewer times. Pedro went 2-1 with a 1.67 ERA in four starts against them. Pitchers like Pedro and Oswalt tend to dominate everyone, not just teams like the Reds.
    True but the Reds had a lot of balance last year as an offense that I don't think they have going into this year.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    True but the Reds had a lot of balance last year as an offense that I don't think they have going into this year.
    all because they lost Sean Casey?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I can agree with that I suppose. Casey and Randa did provide the Reds with a couple of "bat on ball" hitters to mix in with mashers.

I can agree with that I suppose. Casey and Randa did provide the Reds with a couple of "bat on ball" hitters to mix in with mashers.
    What about all the speed they gain by having EE and WMP in the lineup instead of slow and slower?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

As a rule, I'm on board with the "strikeout is just another out" principle. Yes, whiffs are just a byproduct of power, of which we have considerable. Yes, it makes little difference in the macro sense.

But not all K-prone players are equal.

Exhibit A: I have no problem with Adam Dunn's strikeouts. He swings hard but he's selective. His approach is fine and he generally has good at-bats. He strikes out a lot, but for the power production and high on-base percentage, it's well worth the price.

Exhibit B: Wily Mo Pena, on the other hand, is a guy being held back by his propensity for whiffing. Not only does he strike out at an extreme rate, he doesn't draw many walks to offset the Ks. Too many of his Ks are just bad at-bats. He's never going to realize his full power potential as long as all of MLB knows they don't need to come over the plate to get him out. If you're a legendary bad-ball hitter like Vladimir Guerrero, you can get away with that. Pena isn't.

With WMP and perhaps a few others, when I think to myself "they strike out too much," it isn't because I'd rather they ground out instead. It's because I wish they'd tune up their strike-zone judgment, which would result in higher OBPs.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    What about all the speed they gain by having EE and WMP in the lineup instead of slow and slower?
    I like the new lineup personally. I was just trying to say I can see where TRF was coming from with his "balanced offense" comment.

I like the new lineup personally. I was just trying to say I can see where TRF was coming from with his "balanced offense" comment.
    doesn't adding a more speed help balance the lineup and manufacture runs? I was simple pointing out there are two sides to the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    As a rule, I'm on board with the "strikeout is just another out" principle. Yes, whiffs are just a byproduct of power, of which we have considerable. Yes, it makes little difference in the macro sense.

But not all K-prone players are equal.

Exhibit A: I have no problem with Adam Dunn's strikeouts. He swings hard but he's selective. His approach is fine and he generally has good at-bats. He strikes out a lot, but for the power production and high on-base percentage, it's well worth the price.

Exhibit B: Wily Mo Pena, on the other hand, is a guy being held back by his propensity for whiffing. Not only does he strike out at an extreme rate, he doesn't draw many walks to offset the Ks. Too many of his Ks are just bad at-bats. He's never going to realize his full power potential as long as all of MLB knows they don't need to come over the plate to get him out. If you're a legendary bad-ball hitter like Vladimir Guerrero, you can get away with that. Pena isn't.

With WMP and perhaps a few others, when I think to myself "they strike out too much," it isn't because I'd rather they ground out instead. It's because I wish they'd tune up their strike-zone judgment, which would result in higher OBPs.

Outstanding post.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Health had a lot to do with that.

Compare Dunn to Pujols, that's a better comp.
    Everyone save Barry Bonds pales in comparison to Albert Pujols. He's not a comp for anyone. The guy's unreal.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976
    The fact that the Reds led the league does not mean that there's no room for improvement. He thinks they strike out too much, it's a valid opinion.
    True, but it certainly shouldn't be a priority. It doesn't hurt the team much, so why not prioritize the stuff that does.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If the "making the defense work" argument was significant determinant of runs scored, it would show up in data, because it would show some correlation to runs scored - even if it's small. And do people realize that the overall major league fielding percentage is something like 97%. That means the "putting the ball in play hoping something good will happen"argument is based on somethig good happening 3 times every 100 ABs, and also hoping that this good thing happening happened in a situation where a run could be generated. And if the standard deviation argument was significant, pythagorus wouldn't work.

Almost ALL statistical arguments are limited in what they tell you because so many factors can't be quanitified and it's hard to correlate some things to runs scored or runs allowed. It's rare where the data is simple and fairly cut and dry. The strikeout argument is one of the few exceptions. In a statistical sense, it's as simple a question as there is, whether it's baseball, business, or any thing else where statistics are employed to help answer questions. There's a simple hypothesis: high levels of strikeouts lead to less runs scored. From my standpoint, it really is that simple. And because it's such a simple question and the data is readily available, you can easily answer the question. And the answer is a resounding no. If all of these other factors came into play in a significant manner, it would have to show a correlation. Bu ZERO correlation exists as far as what I've read.

And all of the other hypotheses are invalidated because pythagorus is so accurate. It wouldn't work if the "when" or "situational" runs were a significant determining factor.

I can only think of one other explanation. If there's a level of strikeouts that's so high that it DOES affect a team's ability to score runs, those teams are so rare that they don't skew the data enough to show a correlation. If that's the case, then there's no way to validate which team falls into this category. If all of these theories people are espousing are a factor in runs scored, teams that are influenced significantly by these factors are exceptions. That's the only explanation for the lack of correlation and for the consistency of pythagorus.

Understand, that if you're a believer in the negative impact of strikeouts, you're doing so based on intuition and faith, not based on evidence. That's perfectly fine, because baseball isn't completley understood through numbers. Just realize that it's a faith based argument, not a data driven one.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Pointing out Wily Mo strikes out too much is no different than pointing out that Tony Womack grounds out too much. They both, at this stage of their careers, one waxing, one waining, make too many outs, regardless of how those outs are made. Of course Pena's slg to some degree makes up for the amount of outs he makes.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    There are too many strikeouts in the lineup. An individual player striking out a lot is not the same as a team that strikes out a lot.
    Krivsky comments just keep leading me to believe that Dunn,AK,WMP, or Junior will be delt.

If he hates K's that much maybe we can get Pitt to take Dunn for Casey
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    osu, pretty arbitrary spot to pick three runs. In the modern game you need to average better than four if you want to win much. Take that slice and you get the figures RedsManRick listed, with the Reds falling between the Cardinals and Braves.

I believe at one point this winter someone on this board showed that, outside of the Cardinals, the Reds actually had the most consistent offense in the NL for scoring 5+ runs last year.
    Yeah. That was me.

There was nothing wrong with the Reds offensive Run distribution pattern in 2005 that a good pitching staff wouldn't fix.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?