Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Krivsky will be on XM at 8:30

Re: Krivsky will be on XM at 8:30

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I saw a atricle last year and there was a loose correlation between Ks and runs scored. WHat it showed was high K teams scored more runs than low K teams.
    God, don't say THAT.

Wayne Krivsky just got hired so somehow water doesn't appear to be wet anymore.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?
    WKU Hilltoppers

The fact that the Reds led the league does not mean that there's no room for improvement. He thinks they strike out too much, it's a valid opinion.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976
    He thinks they strike out too much, it's a valid opinion.
    How is it a valid opinion? Where is the objective data to show that more Ks lead to less runs?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

The fact that the Reds led the league does not mean that there's no room for improvement. He thinks they strike out too much, it's a valid opinion.
    but wrong.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yeah, well...we've had this conversation before and I believe we sorta' figured out that strikeouts don't really matter so I guess I'm not exactly sure why the hiring of Wayne Krivsky changes that.
    I'm settled on the player level, not the team level. I know we've been down this road before, but simply saying that since the 2005 Reds led the league in Ks and RS means that Ks are irrelevant at the team level is not exactly a scientific conclusion.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    but simply saying that since the 2005 Reds led the league in Ks and RS means that Ks are irrelevant at the team level is not exactly a scientific conclusion.
    so is saying they are relevant a scientific conclusion?

Cutting down on K's has nothing to do with scoring more Runs.

It's an invalid opinion.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    I'm settled on the player level, not the team level. I know we've been down this road before, but simply saying that since the 2005 Reds led the league in Ks and RS means that Ks are irrelevant at the team level is not exactly a scientific conclusion.
    This link has been posted before:

http://www.thediamondangle.com/marasco/opan/kfile.html

--Ted Williams

Yeah. The Reds didn't really lead the NL in Runs Scored while leading the world in Strikeouts last year.

This should already be beyond settled.
    Am not.

But they also had Casey and Randa for the first half. RA didn't K alot either. (you have no idea how much it hurt me to type that.) And though they were all world in K's and Runs Scored, they did have tremendous balance too.

In my mind it can't be as simple as "strikeouts don't matter, they are just another out." It's also about giving the opposing pitcher a different look too. Pitchers approach a healthy Sean Casey differently that they do Adam Dunn. Casey makes that defense work more. And that has an effect on the game too. And no I am not talking about possibly reaching on an error. The simple fact is nine healthy Caseys makes a defense move more than nine healthy Dunn's. I honestly don't know if that impacts a game or not, but i think it does to some extent.
    Suck it up cupcake.

God, don't say THAT.

Wayne Krivsky just got hired so somehow water doesn't appear to be wet anymore.
    One thing has nothing to do with the other.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Don't confuse me with the facts, I already have my mind made up.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Do they strike out a lot? Yeah. They also ground out a lot and pop out a lot. The only reason I'm interested in reducing the number of strikeouts is so they avoid less outs. If Dunn cuts down his strikeouts by 50 but increases his groundouts by the same number, I don't see how that helps the Reds or makes him into a better player. Maybe he advances a few more runners or gets a guy home with a ground ball but he'll more than likely hit into more double plays thus nullifying the runners moved up and the runs batted in.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I guess we will have to see what Krivsky does.

If low Ks leads to better outcomes and more runs than trading Casey was very bad for the Reds offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Do they strike out a lot? Yeah. They also ground out a lot and pop out a lot. The only reason I'm interested in reducing the number of strikeouts is so they avoid less outs. If Dunn cuts down his strikeouts by 50 but increases his groundouts by the same number, I don't see how that helps the Reds or makes him into a better player. Maybe he advances a few more runners or gets a guy home with a ground ball but he'll more than likely hit into more double plays thus nullifying the runners moved up and the runs batted in.
    Dunn decreased his Ks by 25 last year and yet by most statistical measures 2004 was clearly superior to 2005. He cut his Ks by 13% and yet was less productive. How did that happen?

Not sure if I commented another time this was posted, but "K's are not bad at the team level" is based on a strawman premise in the first place, that "A high strikeout team should score fewer runs than a low strikeout team if K's are so bad." Oversimplification of the issue.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?