Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Krivsky will be on XM at 8:30

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Krivsky will be on XM at 8:30

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Do they strike out a lot? Yeah. They also ground out a lot and pop out a lot. The only reason I'm interested in reducing the number of strikeouts is so they avoid less outs. If Dunn cuts down his strikeouts by 50 but increases his groundouts by the same number, I don't see how that helps the Reds or makes him into a better player. Maybe he advances a few more runners or gets a guy home with a ground ball but he'll more than likely hit into more double plays thus nullifying the runners moved up and the runs batted in.
    But that's at the level of the individual.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    But that's at the level of the individual.
    please explain your theory, it's not making any sense to me. It's sounding like DanO talk. I hope you are being sarcastic.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Dunn decreased his Ks by 25 last year and yet by most statistical measures 2004 was clearly superior to 2005. He cut his Ks by 13% and yet was less productive. How did that happen?
    I don't know. Did he ground out or pop up 13% or more?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    Don't confuse me with the facts, I already have my mind made up.
    There's a difference between being an obscurantist and thinking that the burden of proof for concluding that "there is no correlation between strikeouts and runs scored" by simply graphing strikeouts vs. runs scored has not been met.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Not sure if I commented another time this was posted, but "K's are not bad at the team level" is based on a strawman premise in the first place, that "A high strikeout team should score fewer runs than a low strikeout team if K's are so bad." Oversimplification of the issue.
    The issue is that K and runs scored don't have much to do with each other where things like OBP, SLG% and runs scored do.

I think it is then safe to conclude that worrying about Ks is just chasing your tail. If you really want to improve the offense then forget about Ks and try to improve your OBP and SLG%. This is exactly what makes Womack(low K, low OBP, extremely low SLG%) less than an offensive zero and I don't think Reds management see it.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

WKU Hilltoppers

I'm sure my baseball knowledge as well as Mr. Krivsky's is inferior to many of you who post here on a daily basis, but it almost sounds like the more you strike out the more runs you'll score.
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I don't know. Did he ground out or pop up 13% or more?
    Does it matter? I know Shandler's Baseball Forecaster could provide that info in terms of percentages.

WKU Hilltoppers

Wouldn't cutting strike outs have the possiblity of raising you obp?
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base
    --Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmachine1976
    I'm sure my baseball knowledge as well as Mr. Krivsky's is inferior to many of you who post here on a daily basis, but it almost sounds like the more you strike out the more runs you'll score.
    The point is that Ks and runs just don't seem to be correlated in a meaningful way but if you look in recent years the high scoring teams tend to be high K teams.

So why pay worry about Ks when there is a ton of evidence that things like OBP and SLG% have a very strong correlation to runs scored?

The issue is that K and runs scored don't have much to do with each other where things like OBP, SLG% and runs scored do.

I think it is then safe to conclude that worrying about Ks is just chasing your tail. If you really want to improve the offense then forget about Ks and try to improve your OBP and SLG%. This is exactly what makes Womack(low K, low OBP, extremely low SLG%) less than an offensive zero and I don't think Reds management see it.
    Reasonable statement. However, a high K lineup may be symptomatic of an overall flawed collection of players.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

something like that.

just because someone has an opportunity to do a job doesn't mean that person is more qualified than the person that hasn't had that same opportunity. keep that in mind when you generalize people.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Does it matter? I know Shandler's Baseball Forecaster could provide that info in terms of percentages.
    If you want to look at that and bring those percentages in here, have at it. All I'm saying is that the Reds - and any other baseball team if they want to be successful - should avoid outs. Last I checked a strikeout is an out. As is a ground out or a foul out or a line out or a pop out. I don't think it's any worse than any one of those. It can be better than one of those since it's awfully hard to strike out into a double play. But it's still an out.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Wouldn't cutting strike outs have the possiblity of raising you obp?
    sure if replaced by a walk or a hit. But then isn't a double better than a single?

The point is that there is an obvious tradeoff between being free swinging and putting the ball in play(Womack being a great example) versus a selective hitter who swings hard and misses quite a bit.

If low Ks is important and just putting the ball in play is critical then obviously Tony Womack is a very valuable offensive commodity.

Reasonable statement. However, a high K lineup may be symptomatic of an overall flawed collection of players.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

I think having a really bad defensive team is a better indication of an overall flawed collection of players. The caveat being unless you have a pitching staff that misses lots of bats.
    Last edited by flyer85; 02-13-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Turn Off Ads?