Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: I need some serios geek help

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    I need some serious geek help

    I am writing an app in php to allow inline editing via AJAX. I have 14 textarea that require a wysiwyg editor. without the editor, i get the values of the textareas to pass without a problem. With the editor, no good.

    Anyone have any experience in this area?
    Last edited by TRF; 02-14-2006 at 05:37 PM.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  2. #2
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,297

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I am writing an app in php to allow inline editing via AJAX. I have 14 textarea that require a wysiwyg editor. without the editor, i get the values of the textareas to pass without a problem. With the editor, no good.

    Anyone have any experience in this area?
    I have Dreamweaver, maybe I can help ya.

  3. #3
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    ok, try this.

    I have a page that displays a single record from a database.

    I also have a page for editing that record, but as i said it has 14 textareas, which means i load 14 wysiwyg editors. I'm using FCKeditor.

    What i want is to be able to edit on the display page in a similar fashion as vBulletin does when you edit your post. That's the AJAX part

    I can do one or the other it seems. I can do the inline edit, but without the wysiwyg editor or i can do the standard edit minus the uber fast inline method.

    i need both.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  4. #4
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,297

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    ok, try this.

    I have a page that displays a single record from a database.

    I also have a page for editing that record, but as i said it has 14 textareas, which means i load 14 wysiwyg editors. I'm using FCKeditor.

    What i want is to be able to edit on the display page in a similar fashion as vBulletin does when you edit your post. That's the AJAX part

    I can do one or the other it seems. I can do the inline edit, but without the wysiwyg editor or i can do the standard edit minus the uber fast inline method.

    i need both.
    I'm not sure I follow how I can help you here...

  5. #5
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    oh well...

    Any other Web Developers out there?
    Suck it up cupcake.

  6. #6
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Perhaps you would like some serious spelling help?:
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  7. #7
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Perhaps you would like some serious spelling help?:
    like you have never fat-fingered anything. beware my wrath!
    Suck it up cupcake.

  8. #8
    Raaaaaaaandy guttle11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,118

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    like you have never fat-fingered anything. beware my wrath!
    Oh, I fat-finger words all the time. I kid because I'm one of you.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

  9. #9
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,450

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    I can't help you with the specific problem, but maybe this tool will work better for you (free provided this is for public use):

    http://www.tibco.com/software/busine...rce_center.jsp

    Ruby on Rails might be of some help too:

    http://www.rubyonrails.org/
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #10
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I can't help you with the specific problem, but maybe this tool will work better for you (free provided this is for public use):

    http://www.tibco.com/software/busine...rce_center.jsp

    Ruby on Rails might be of some help too:

    http://www.rubyonrails.org/
    I've been looking at Ruby on Rails for about two weeks now, and it likely could be what i need. I've heard of tibco, but haven't looked at it too close.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  11. #11
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,450

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    I've been looking at Ruby on Rails for about two weeks now, and it likely could be what i need. I've heard of tibco, but haven't looked at it too close.
    It literally just went up on a free public license yesterday. Before that it required a commerical license. If you're doing any Java server side development that needs to get tied to an Ajax front end you might want to check out ClearNova. It might be good for PHP too. IIRC, ClearNova also runs regular Ajax tutorials.

    There's also a book called "Ajax in Action" from a guy named Eric Pascarello (Manning Press) which might be of help. My news site is about to run a second chapter from it and it's gotten good response from our readers.

    And here's an Ajax Learning Guide if you're interested:

    http://searchwebservices.techtarget....150185,00.html
    Last edited by M2; 02-14-2006 at 10:53 AM.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  12. #12
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by M2
    There's also a book called "Ajax in Action" from a guy named Eric Pascarello (Manning Press) which might be of help. My news site is about to run a second chapter from it and it's gotten good response from our readers.
    I've had this book for about 3 weeks. it's great. I'm checking Tibco out now. I had an account already with them, but they weren't offering any free licensing. So this might do it. Thanks!
    Suck it up cupcake.

  13. #13
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,866

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    I'm reasonably versed in PHP, although my knowledge of AJAX is mostly of the heard-about-it variety. I'll PM you my e-mail, if you want to send me the script. No guarantees but I'll take a look.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

  14. #14
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I'm reasonably versed in PHP, although my knowledge of AJAX is mostly of the heard-about-it variety. I'll PM you my e-mail, if you want to send me the script. No guarantees but I'll take a look.
    Have you had a chance to look over the code i sent? Sorry if it was a little lengthy.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  15. #15
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,866

    Re: I need some serios geek help

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Have you had a chance to look over the code i sent? Sorry if it was a little lengthy.
    Yep. I can get the FCKeditor to load inline easily enough, but like you, I'm stuck trying to get the changed content out of it without doing a full POST. I'll keep looking, this is a trick I'd like to incorporate in an Intranet project.

    If nothing else, you can probably get away with loading the WYSIWYG editor inline, but just do a regular postback instead of an AJAX call. I think that's what vBulletin does here.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25