Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

Wow! It looks like a 2 year deal to me. I can't see us paying him 13 million, but then again Griffeys contract will be done by then right? Man, that seems like a lot of money. Glad it's done!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

I'm happy with that deal for both sides.

So far, I'm liken' what I've seen from Cast & Kriv.

Rem

I like. The more I think of it 13 million might be doable, but we'll see. NIce signing. It feels like we have a new GM

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

For all the griping I've seen on here since the Kullman firing, it sure looks like to me that the new GM has something Dan O'Brien never had--the get 'er done syndrome. IOW's, O'Brien would still be thinking about it while Wayne just goes out and does it. I like that.

The debate will go on about Billy Ball and whether Wayne K is a disciple or not, but I get the feeling he wants to win. And that's the bottom line, isn't it??
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I will say I think the new owner has a lot to do with it. Not that Dan O was good, but now with a mgmt who wants to win and is involved things are looking up!

An Excellent move by the FO

First one in years
    Go Gators!

YESSSS!

I am looking into season tickets NOW!

Adam Dunn a red for 3 more years at least. I can't forsee a situation in which he shouldn't be a red for a long, long time!

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by KearnsyEars
    I can't forsee a situation in which he shouldn't be a red for a long, long time!
    "Dunn to Houston...static...we have a problem...static...come in Houston..."
    Last edited by gm; 02-14-2006 at 12:11 AM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Not that I want to see him dealt, but with that contract, he could become quite the hot commodity.
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Great News!!!

FWIW...rotoworld.com did not like it..

Reds signed first baseman Adam Dunn to a two-year, $18 million contract with a club option for 2008.
    Dunn gets salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000. We're not particularly impressed with this for either Dunn or the Reds. With the possibility of a 50-homer season looming, Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal. Dunn is just 26, and while he doesn't have much in the way of defensive value, he's probably going to be one of the game's top-10 hitters for at least the next half dozen years. Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides. Feb. 13 - 11:08 pm et
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rotoworld
    Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal....Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides. Feb. 13 - 11:08 pm et
    Whine Whine Whine.

I can kinda see the criticism toward Dunn, but the criticism of the Reds is plain silly. This is a very good deal for the Reds. If Adam has a career-ending rodeo injury, the Reds are only guaranteeing $18.5 million.

The Reds get only 2 years of risk and 3 years of benefit.

Excellent deal.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I like, just wish it was longer....but wont complain.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski
    Great News!!!

FWIW...rotoworld.com did not like it..

Reds signed first baseman Adam Dunn to a two-year, $18 million contract with a club option for 2008.
    Dunn gets salaries of $7.5 million for this season and $10.5 million for 2007. The club has an option for a $13 million salary in 2008, which it can buy out for $500,000. We're not particularly impressed with this for either Dunn or the Reds. With the possibility of a 50-homer season looming, Dunn was foolish to sell his first year of free agency for $13 million, especially when there are teams like the Red Sox and Astros out there that will appreciate his OBP more than the Reds do. And Cincinnati will someday regret not taking this opportunity to lock Dunn up to a true long-term deal. Dunn is just 26, and while he doesn't have much in the way of defensive value, he's probably going to be one of the game's top-10 hitters for at least the next half dozen years. Five years and $60 million would have been perfectly reasonable for both sides. Feb. 13 - 11:08 pm et
    I don't think rotoworld.com has considered the fact that the Reds can still work to re-sign the guy to another three-year deal between now and then and still come in at 60M or less over five years.

As of now, the Reds have Dunn signed for the next two seasons for less than what he wanted and they have a built-in escape clause that doubles as a license to re-negotiate should they and Dunn agree to exercise the buy-out clause in exchange for a longer-term financial committment. On the flip-side, Dunn's set for life and he's virtually guaranteed the 13M in 2008 if he's dealt.

Yes, I wish the Reds had acted sooner. Sure, I'd like the contract to be for a longer period of time but the reality is that both parties to this contract have protected themselves and Dunn now knows that should the Reds keep him he's going to be the focal point of the offense while both parties have now basically said "show me by the end of the 2007 season". That's motivation for both Krivsky (show Dunn that you're a contender) and Dunn (show the Reds that you're worth even more money).

Considering the current scenario, that's one heck of a well-negotiated deal on both sides.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Great news! This is the kind of contract I've been advocating, not just for Dunn, for a while now. Give the player a couple three years at a reasonable price and then have a club option after that time and put lots of money on the back end. If that player stinks, you're only out a couple of years and the option lets you get out of it if need be. OTOH, it also lets you deide whether you want to exercise that option if the player is worth it.

The big question is, where's our Astrobuddy at now?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?