Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

All dyslexics must untie!

Re: Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    where's our Astrobuddy at now?
    (at the risk of repeating myself...again)

"Dunn to Houston...static...we have a problem...static...come in, Houston..."
    Never overlook the obvious

2. Turn Off Ads?

Great news!
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Happy? More like overjoyed. Let's forget about the terms of the deal, this is all about a statement from the ownership. That RCast is commited to winning and he (and Krivsky) realize the talent that Dunn is. Would I like a 4th year? Sure, but I am in no mood to complain about this and hopefully they will start to market Dunn like the franchise player he should be viewed as.

I won't complain about anything keeping Dunn in Cincy. I'm not as "smart" a baseball fan as many here. I don't get tied up in the money, length of contracts, sabermetrics, most of the stats. Not that I don't think they're important, just don't understand most of them or care to understand them. I like the Reds, I like Adam Dunn. Moves that keep Adam Dunn with the Reds are moves okay by me.

I homestly think Dunn wasn't interested in signing any longer. I think he wants to see if this team is going to start moving in the right direction versus spinning their wheels that they have done for the last 5+ years.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

My God...I read this at work w/i 5 mins of marc breaking the news and I could not wait to come home and get everyone's take on this. I think Steel put my thoughts into words perfectly. I am thrilled by both sides on this deal. Sure, we all would like to have seen a 5 yr deal, but after more thought, I think this is/was the best way to go for both sides, and still gives the Reds the chance to lock him up for longer, down the road.

What a great freakin' breath of fresh air both RCast and WK have been. Man, it's really really good to be a Reds fan again. Hats off to the new Reds FO and to Adam Dunn. And yay to us fans...we finally have a FO that seems to have a plan, a direction, and a desire to win. FINALLY!!!

---The beginning!

Great, great news.

It's not that the signing is so great in and of itself - all it does is give us the option to get one more year from Dunn at $13 million. I suspect that is the longest deal Dunn would sign.

What this does mean is that the front office realizes how special Dunn is. They are willing to commit to him. I couldn't stand the idea that the GM thought Dunn was a liability - at the very least, we can least rest assured that the new front office won't let him leave without a fight.

Again, great news.

Quote Originally Posted by top6
    Great, great news.

It's not that the signing is so great in and of itself - all it does is give us the option to get one more year from Dunn at $13 million. I suspect that is the longest deal Dunn would sign.

What this does mean is that the front office realizes how special Dunn is. They are willing to commit to him. I couldn't stand the idea that the GM thought Dunn was a liability - at the very least, we can least rest assured that the new front office won't let him leave without a fight.

Again, great news.
    # more years of Dunn and he gets to see how the franchise progresses. Great move by his agent and the Red's. This signing was a STATEMENT that the Reds are going forward instead of burning it down. I love it! Of course I trade him tommorow if a great 4 player for 1 deal is offered :

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    If Adam has a career-ending rodeo injury...
    Yeah, *ride 'em cowboy* has always been my motto.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Reading all this acclamation here for a front office move, feels more like the Twilight Zone than Redszone. Kinda worried I've entered an altertnate universe.

I have been a Reds Fan as long as I can remember.

The last five years have been pretty hard to live with.

My loyalty to the players never really changed. It' just that I kinda lost faith in Ownership and the front office.

God knows our pitching still sucks and we have a long way to go but now I feel a spark of HOPE.

Finally, something proactive that doesn't involve Tony Womack or Rich Aurilia. Man, I am not gonna miss OB.

Nice move for Krivsky and new ownership. That's an understatement.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Sure, I'd like the contract to be for a longer period of time but the reality is that both parties to this contract have protected themselves and Dunn now knows that should the Reds keep him he's going to be the focal point of the offense while both parties have now basically said "show me by the end of the 2007 season". That's motivation for both Krivsky (show Dunn that you're a contender) and Dunn (show the Reds that you're worth even more money).
    This is an excellent point, Steel.

With Krivsky working under a 2 year deal and now Dunn working under what amounts to a 2 year deal (with year 3 optional), it basically ties Dunn to Krivsky and allows the latter to make the former the "nucleus" of the ballclub he builds. Further, it gives Krivsky cost-certainty for his premier player for the life of his contract as GM, ensuring that the dollar figure attached to Dunn doesn't balloon due to Adam exceeding his previous performance level and/or markup in the market for his talent.

Krivsky has just made a statement about this franchise, his tenure as GM, and the direction things are taking from here on out.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Wicked Awesome
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    I don't think rotoworld.com has considered the fact that the Reds can still work to re-sign the guy to another three-year deal between now and then and still come in at 60M or less over five years.

As of now, the Reds have Dunn signed for the next two seasons for less than what he wanted and they have a built-in escape clause that doubles as a license to re-negotiate should they and Dunn agree to exercise the buy-out clause in exchange for a longer-term financial committment. On the flip-side, Dunn's set for life and he's virtually guaranteed the 13M in 2008 if he's dealt.

Yes, I wish the Reds had acted sooner. Sure, I'd like the contract to be for a longer period of time but the reality is that both parties to this contract have protected themselves and Dunn now knows that should the Reds keep him he's going to be the focal point of the offense while both parties have now basically said "show me by the end of the 2007 season". That's motivation for both Krivsky (show Dunn that you're a contender) and Dunn (show the Reds that you're worth even more money).

Considering the current scenario, that's one heck of a well-negotiated deal on both sides.
    I totally agree. This contract gives the Reds at least three more years of Dunn, if they desire, and the opportunity to still try to sign him to a longer term contract. If the Reds, against my wishes, decide to try to trade Dunn, this should be a very "tradeable" contract. I would still like to see Dunn signed to about a five or six year deal (after Dunn gets into his early 30s I would then be much more cautious about a long term contract).
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?