Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

Re: Dunn 2year, 18.5, team option for third year

he isn't going anywhere for pitching.....trust me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When i saw the ESPN ticker showing this..... i was very surprised and pleased.
    I was hoping for AT LEAST a 4 year deal with maybe a 1 year club option...but this is good for now.

Maybe next off-season it will be signing a good No. 1 starter and the hopes we will be talking positive about the Reds ML system and a good draft.

What a pleasant surprise this was. I'll simply add my voice to the chorus of others cheering this move.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Wayne's World!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Wayne's World!
    Schwing
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'm a little less excited about this with the news that the third-year option doesn't apply if he's traded. They've locked him in for two years as far as potential trade partners are concerned -- and that basically was the case anyway.

Of course, I'm one of the few people around here who believe Dunn's greatest value to this franchise is as the trade piece to bring back a major talent influx. I think of every Dunn contract discussion in terms of how it impacts that trade. This one is pretty neutral in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 5. Direct personal attacks.
    Go Gators!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It's nice to have management in place that actually DOES things instead of just talking about things.

So far, I give the Castellini/Krivsky regime a big fat

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic
    I'm a little less excited about this with the news that the third-year option doesn't apply if he's traded. They've locked him in for two years as far as potential trade partners are concerned -- and that basically was the case anyway.

Of course, I'm one of the few people around here who believe Dunn's greatest value to this franchise is as the trade piece to bring back a major talent influx. I think of every Dunn contract discussion in terms of how it impacts that trade. This one is pretty neutral in that regard.
    Truthfully, Dunn was stuck here for two years anyway. The option year opens the possibility that Dunn will be here in 2008, but certainly does not guarantee it.

As others have said, this gives the Reds some time to negotiate an extension, and more importantly, it also leaves the opportunity for potential trading partners to negotiate with Dunn and his agent in preparation for a trade.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Just because he's "stuck" here anyway doesn't mean anything in my mind. The Reds might have ended up paying him a whole lot more over those two years.

Plus, this tells me that he wants to be here.

It also gives the Reds time to get on their feet at the helm of the new regime. Hopefully, by the time contract negotiation comes up again, Adam Dunn will think the Reds worthy of extending his contract... with a winner.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I would love to be ecstatic about this deal as the rest have been. However, I can't help but feel he is now more trade bait than before. Now, the question of how much he'll cost over the next couple of years (despite hopefully monstorous seasons with the Reds) is completely out of the equation (if it was there before). Two years seems more like a tradeable commodity to me than a long term commitment. I don't fully see the "it buys time" theory, since, as it was already pointed out, he was here for the next two years, anyway. They could have done another one year deal or just gone to arbitration this year and next. This simply takes unkown cost out of the picture for the next 2 yrs.

I love Adam Dunn, in fact, he is probably my favorite player. I would feel more comfortable with the long-term commitment angle, if this were 4-5 yrs, not 2 that he would be here anyway. While part of me is glad they finally did a deal with Adam, the other part fears his days as a Red are numbered. Of course, I've always been more of a pessimist (especially with the Reds the past many years).

I want to believe like the rest of you, but I lean more towards osuceltic's beliefs at the moment.

Think positive!!!

Dunn is a Red and will always be a red!

WOW!!! Was it just me or did all of you guys feel we was the Yankees there for a second?? Giving all that doe to a player!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Turn Off Ads?