Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lopez's defense

Lopez's defense

I have heard a lot of people talk about Felipe Lopez's defense being downright awful in other threads. Was wondering if someone could better explain to me how you are determining this, as I thought he had a pretty good range factor and his # of errors wasn't that bad.

If his defense is that awful, is it a situation where there is still room for natural improvement (like I see with Wily Mo who has all the physical skills needed to be a top notch CF but needs a lot of game experience)? Or is it something that there is little hope for him to get better on over time and he needs to be looking for a new position?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lopez's defense

He'd be a GREAT 2B
    Go Gators!

ZR, FRAA, RF

Pretty much every defensive metric says that Lopez is a bad SS. Hopefully he will improve because it sure seems like the athletic ability is there.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ZR, FRAA, RF

Pretty much every defensive metric says that Lopez is a bad SS. Hopefully he will improve because it sure seems like the athletic ability is there.
    Given his relative youth and athletic ability, I think he's the type you give the chance to improve. Given the conjectural observation of how much more ground he appeared to cover compared to Aurilia last year and the fact that Aurilia's numbers appear better, it could be nothing more than learning to position himself better based on the game situation.

I think his ankle injury played alot into it.

The kid wasn't supposed to ever play again. It was a nasty break. I think we'll see an improvement. That he played at the level he did last year, is remarkable.
    Suck it up cupcake.

I don't think he goes to his right very well, in fact he seems to be better on fly balls than grounders when they go to his right. With EE he can cheat more towards 2nd, with RA the weakness is revealed.

Put him at 2nd or probably even 3rd and his fielding reputation will be enhanced.

Dave Pinto has a really good defensive metric on his website (baseball musings)--he rates Lopex in the bottom 25% of all SS's.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    ZR, FRAA, RF

Actually, his ZR (.836) puts him pretty near average. And when we understand how Errors factor in to ZR, his actual range appears to be near the current level of guys like Jimmy Rollins and Orlando Cabrera.

Now if we could only get reliable UZR numbers ever again...sigh...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

on the baseball primer site yesterday --someone mentioned they were able to get UZR numbers --but it wasn't clear how they got them --i thought they were proprietary...?...

Anyways, Pinto's metric is as close to UZR that i've seen ...in fact, MGL said so himself...

same post that I've been making for 3-4 years:

He's a fine third baseman and will hit enough for the position (hey, that was right);

he can play short for a bad team and actually helps to make them bad (right a second time)

he just might be able to play second for a good team if you pair him with a really good glove at short (and it's still worth a try)

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    same post that I've been making for 3-4 years:

He's a fine third baseman and will hit enough for the position (hey, that was right);

he can play short for a bad team and actually helps to make them bad (right a second time)

he just might be able to play second for a good team if you pair him with a really good glove at short (and it's still worth a try)
    That's why you get the big bucks.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I think it's the flashes he shows that make him appear better than he is. That play he made @ Wrigley a couple seasons ago was one of the greatest I had ever seen.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He'd be a GREAT 2B
    He as a helluva arm taht would go to waste at 2nd. I think his best spot would be 3rd, but right nor he is the best defensive option we have at short.

1. We got EE at 3rd and he looks like he'll be a really good defensive 3rd baseman so it makes no sense to move FeLo there.

2. It takes a good arm to turn a dp and Pokey's greatest skill was his rocket arm turning the dp...having a good arm at 2nd isn't a waste, it's an advantage.

3. Right now if Felo plays SS and Aurilla plays 2nd -they are both weak positions --if you reverse them then only one position is weak (SS) whereas 2nd becomes strong. Good teams don't do crap like this,but it may be a slight upgrade if you do such a thing. I'm hoping, at least, there's logic in this kind of move.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper
    1. We got EE at 3rd and he looks like he'll be a really good defensive 3rd baseman so it makes no sense to move FeLo there.
    I never said they should move him there, but I just think that would be his best spot. I am not sure what player you were watching, but isn't EEs weakness defense?

Hopefully we have a great 3b/SS combo with EE and FeLo, and I don't want to see FeLo moved there.

Turn Off Ads?