Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Homer Bailey

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    346

    Homer Bailey

    on MLB Radio at 2:30 today, for anyone interested.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,891

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Nice catch, thanks for the heads up.

  4. #3
    Member Jpup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Southern KY
    Posts
    6,967

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover
    on MLB Radio at 2:30 today, for anyone interested.
    eastern?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,891

    Re: Homer Bailey

    yeah, so in about 1 hour.

  6. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,891

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Well, Bailey is on the drive to ST and they cant get ahold of him, so they are going to attempt to reschedule....

  7. #6
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Is it possible that he could,or should make the team in spring training?I just hope they dont promote him that quick like they did Wagner unless he is lights out in spring training.

  8. #7
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,891

    Re: Homer Bailey

    I would say the chances of Bailey making the team out of spring training are slim and none, and the slim is all about the top 4 pitchers in the rotation all going down with major injuries. Bailey will start off in Sarasota in Advanced A ball in all likelihood and depending on his performance could move up to Chattanooga, but I highly doubt he makes it to the bigs barring major injuries to at least half of the staff.

  9. #8
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,405

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I would say the chances of Bailey making the team out of spring training are slim and none, and the slim is all about the top 4 pitchers in the rotation all going down with major injuries. Bailey will start off in Sarasota in Advanced A ball in all likelihood and depending on his performance could move up to Chattanooga, but I highly doubt he makes it to the bigs barring major injuries to at least half of the staff.
    Injuries would not even do it. Especially since there is now no one with a reason to justify the pick with an early promotion. Also, that many injuries is not gonna get a call up of an A baller--they'll sign some waiver wire ballast before they promoted a kid.
    Can't win with 'em

    Can't win without 'em

  10. #9
    Who Dey!! GridironGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monticello, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Homer Bailey

    speaking of Bailey.. hows he coming along?? Has he shown improvements in his game and if so whats the time frame on breaking into the Bullpen for the REds?
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

  11. #10
    Puffy's Daddy Red Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Centerville, OH
    Posts
    20,422

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Quote Originally Posted by GridironGrace
    speaking of Bailey.. hows he coming along?? Has he shown improvements in his game and if so whats the time frame on breaking into the Bullpen for the REds?
    Funny you say bullpen, because that's the way I'd break him in, too. Just like the Phillies are doing with Ryan Madson. I'd say he's still at least 2 years away from making the Reds roster. The fastball and curve are there, but he needs a third pitch (changeup) and he's going to need more time to develop that pitch before he'll be an effective starter. He also needs work on his command, which seemed to get out of whack at times last year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

    Your Mom is happy.

  12. #11
    Who Dey!! GridironGrace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monticello, Kentucky
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Funny you say bullpen, because that's the way I'd break him in, too. Just like the Phillies are doing with Ryan Madson. I'd say he's still at least 2 years away from making the Reds roster. The fastball and curve are there, but he needs a third pitch (changeup) and he's going to need more time to develop that pitch before he'll be an effective starter. He also needs work on his command, which seemed to get out of whack at times last year.
    Thx.

    Its just i play in an online league for MVP baseball 05 lol. And i used him alot and progressed him to make him better it was cool seeing him go from AAA to a SP on my staff

    But yea all youngsters should start in the bullpen IMO. Gives you time to get a feel, and fix any problems b4 taking the mound as a starter and getting rattled.

    Kinda like a QB in the NFL.. you dont wanna throw a rookie in the game as a Starter too soon, you can break thier spirit, and psycologicly they'd never get back in the game
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,012

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Funny you say bullpen, because that's the way I'd break him in, too. Just like the Phillies are doing with Ryan Madson. I'd say he's still at least 2 years away from making the Reds roster. The fastball and curve are there, but he needs a third pitch (changeup) and he's going to need more time to develop that pitch before he'll be an effective starter. He also needs work on his command, which seemed to get out of whack at times last year.
    The velocity is there, the control on his FB is not even close. It was painful watching him pitch some games last year because he was all over the place.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,673

    Re: Homer Bailey

    Bailey had a interesting year last year. When he was healthy in May, he pitched great starting. When he got shoulder tendanitis in late May, it effected his performance in June and the first half of July. But, which is a rarity for a Reds prospect, he got over it and pitched better down stretch with 95-97mph fastballs.

    Unlike other hyped pitchers, Bailey has the arm to be what we want him to be, but the mental side of it will be his challenge. The Reds pitching developement side has struggled through the years and Medlock was a good example of this last year. Medlock like Bailey needed a better changeup, if not worse than Bailey, who may eventually just need a 4 seamer/curve mix to be a successfull starter, but Medlock really needs that changeup for his 3rd pitch if he is going to make it though his fastball is underrated(solidly between 90-93mph). Medlock struggled in high A after his promotion in 2004 because he had no third pitch. Coming into 2005, I suspected Medlock would have the same amount of success he had in Dayton. But alas, Medlock struggled still, his changeup wasn't any better, and hitters unloaded on it. I find that a failure of instruction. Why? 1.5 months into the season, Medlock started whipping high A hitters, basically because his changeup got much much better. Amazing really. The kid probably had to feel out the pitch on his own. Sadly it took him way longer than it should have if his instruction would have been proper. Not every pitcher can do that.

    Krivsky will have to improve pitching instruction in every level of the Reds system because it is surely lacking. If we want to get all we can from the Homer Bailey's and Calvin Medlock's, it is essential.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25