Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuffy Rhodes signed

Hybrid View

Tuffy Rhodes signed

Interesting. Had power in Japan.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Re: Tuffy Rhodes signed

My guess: minor league coach in 2007, maybe even player-coach this year.

My guess - gets to ST with the Reds Jersey with "Rhodes" on back - plays a bit in later innings.

Gets the jersey as a momento and retires. Cincinnati kid gets to play for hometown team - and thats the way he wants to go out.

Possibly gets a coaching job somewhere - Gulf Coast, Billings, maybe Dayton.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    My guess - gets to ST with the Reds Jersey with "Rhodes" on back - plays a bit in later innings.

Gets the jersey as a momento and retires. Cincinnati kid gets to play for hometown team - and thats the way he wants to go out.

Possibly gets a coaching job somewhere - Gulf Coast, Billings, maybe Dayton.
    Why not Davey Justice while their at it!
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

got alil captain in u?

can someone explain to me who is tuffy rhodes

Quote Originally Posted by captainmorgan07
    can someone explain to me who is tuffy rhodes

former cub prospect, been playing in japan since 1996. hit 360 HR there.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

didnt he hit 3 or 4 homeruns on opening day once?
    woo woo woo, you know it

Haunted by walks

Tuffy Rhodes hit more home runs in Japan than Hideki Matsui did.

Quote Originally Posted by ramp101
    didnt he hit 3 or 4 homeruns on opening day once?
    1994 against the Mets. He led off that day and hit 3 HR's off of Dwight Gooden.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

How long has Tuffy been hanging around? Well, let's put it this way: the man was a teammate of Alex Trevino on the Astros.

Not to mention Jim Clancy, Dave Smith and Ken Oberkfell...

Wow...I'd rather see him make the roster than Quinton Mccracken. I didn't know he was a cincy area guy. I remember back in 1994 on opening day, the night Lankford hit a couple HR against us on opening night at riverfront, Tuffy hit three opening day dingers against Doc Gooden.

This signing can be summed up by two words: Can't hurt. He'll likely end up in AAA and can be a good veteran presence for the young guys coming up. Also, he won't be a bad guy to call up for injuries if needed.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Tuffy is also a hero in Des Moines, Iowa. In 1993 he hit a home run that sealed the American Association championship for the Iowa Cubs.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

we're going to call him Dusty

"Nice Guy" is off to the Pirates. He can just help them finish last, instead.

"Chub" Krivsky needs to put on some pounds

and Jerry "the Lip" has ordered Jr to play like Willie Mays again.

"the Happy Barber" has gone to D.C.... still looking for a "Barber" with some attitude. A fastball appears to be optional.
    Last edited by princeton; 02-15-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Rhodes is a Cincinnati native who played at Western Hills and was drafted by Houston in 1986 (third round). He was a speedy, walk-drawing CF-type coming up through the minors, but struggled to hit during several early-nineties callups with the Astros and was released in April 1993. Catching on with the Cubs (after signing with the Royals, going back to the minors and then getting traded to Chicago in the now-legendary three-team deal that sent Paul Assenmacher to the Yankees and John Habyan to KC- I'm sure everyone remembers that one), Rhodes hit well at the end of the year and had his famous 3 HR game on Opening Day 1994 (off Dwight Gooden and the Mets as others have said). That year was also his only full major-league season (he hit just .234/.318/.387). After washing out of the Chicago organization the following year, then Boston, he signed with the Kintetsu Buffaloes of the Japanese Pacific League for the 1996 season.

He played eight brilliant seasons with Kintetsu, then moved to the Yomiuri Giants for 2004. From 2001-2004, Rhodes hit 55, 46, 51, and 45 homers. In 2005 he struggled with injuries, dropping to 101 games played and a .240 average.

I think his nickname has to do with his small stature (5-11, 170#) relative to the considerable power he generated once he hit his mid-twenties (in fact, he went from the Willy Taveras slugging model to 33 homers between AAA and the bigs in 1993), similar to what happened with Kirby Puckett.
    Last edited by Doc. Scott; 02-15-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Turn Off Ads?