Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Keeper Question

Keeper Question

12 team league, with odd scoring. 10 categories, 6 of which are offense:

ERA, S, K, W
    AVG, OBP, HR, RBI, R, SB

I've been trying to get them to add WHIP and drop something like AVG, but so far no luck.

Anyway, I get to keep three players heading into this season. It's the first time the league has ever allowed keepers. Here are the players that I held at the end of last season that I would consider at least borderline keepable:

Mark Teixeira
    David Wright
    Miguel Cabrera
    Pedro Martinez
    Zach Duke
    Andy Pettite
    Paul Konerko
    Felipe Lopez
    Carlos Beltran
    AJ Burnett

Realistically, I'm definitely going to keep Pedro. I'm fairly sure I'm also keeping Teixeira, even though first base is such a deep position.

My real dilemma is Wright vs. Cabrera. I'm really having a tough time deciding which would be better, and I keep going back and forth. Anyone care to persuade me one way or the other?

Also, I included the above list just in case anyone thinks any of the above would be worth keeping over Pedro/Teixeira/Wright/Cabrera.

Thanks for the help!
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keeper Question

I agree with keeping Pedro and Teixera. As for the other spot, I would pick D.Wright. Both will give you similar value. Cabrera's Avg. vs. Wright's stolen bases is the trade off. With Cabrera losing so much talent around him, I think that's another reason I lean toward Wright. With the amount of talent around Wright, his production could be even better than Cabrera.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I would keep Wright over Cabrera for the reasons Redsnake mentioned. If given the same set of circumstances I would strongly consider keeping Teixera, Cabrera, and Wright and letting Pedro go. While you are letting an ace go there are a lot of 2nd or 3rd tier pitchers out there to build a pitching staff with.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

There aren't many good SS's out there, I wouldn't overlook keeping Felipe. I don't think he would give you the best stats/points, but compared to other shortstops it might be worth keeping him. Then again, I'm a Reds fan so maybe I'm overvaluing him some. Just a thought.

Keep Cabrera (22 yrs old), Wright (23), and Teixeira(25). So much power coupled with such young ages. Now, like IowaRed said, you can always find a good 2nd or 3rd tier pircher out there. Heck, for that matter, keep the power hitters and take a pitcher as your first pick in regular draft.

Keep in mind that Pedro will be in his 34 years of age season and while that is not very old, he has accumulated 2513.0 career innings with 38,821 career total pitches thrown (per ESPN). For a 5' 11'', 180 lbs, that's a lot of innings and pitches.
    Last edited by bianchiveloce; 02-17-2006 at 07:59 AM.

I agree with biachiveloce (nice name).

I'd keep Wright, Cabrera, and Teixeira. That's a great offense to start with. Pickup a SP in the first round of your regular draft (you might even get Pedro back) and you should be in good shape.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

K, you guys are making me seriously consider not keeping Pedro. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Offense is weighted heavier in this league, so that's a point in favor of keeping the three offensive players. I also won the ERA title last year by like .6, so there was a lot of wasted good pitching on my team. I'd rather that not happen again.

Mark Teixeira
    David Wright
    Miguel Cabrera

Pedro may not be healthy. I would consider throwing Lopez in the mix because of position!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2844
    Mark Teixeira
    David Wright
    Miguel Cabrera
    This is the way I've decided to go. Thanks to everyone for your help!

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    This is the way I've decided to go. Thanks to everyone for your help!
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?