Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic hockey

Olympic hockey

Starts today, Finland vs Sweden on MSNBC right now, Finland up 2-0 (that's an upset in my books)

Canada looks like the team to beat, but Russia should be an interesting sleeper this year.

A few bits on the teams

Canada

The defending champions are favored to win the gold again.

Backed by goaltending god Martin Brodeur, the roster boasts a stellar list of names including team captain Joe Sakic, Jarome Iginla, Vincent LeCavalier and Simon Gagne, to name a few. Add defensemen Rob Blake, Wade Redden, Robyn Regehr and Chris Pronger and you have the goods for gold. They are the most solid team with both new and experienced players, skill, size, speed and depth. This time around, they also have the added advantage of chemistry after playing together in (and winning) the World Cup of Hockey in 2004.

Although “Operation Slapshot” could be viewed as a distraction for Canadian players, this isn’t an unfamiliar situation. In Salt Lake City, Gretzky spouted off to the media about his "everybody`s out to get Canada" theory just to keep reporters focused on him instead of the Canadian players. This time, while all eyes are again focused on Gretzky, the Canadian team can legitimately escape media scrutiny. In fact, they might even rally behind the Great One.

Canada is at +110 to win gold and barring any major injuries or crises, the Canadians stand the best chance to win gold.

USA

The Americans have an impressive roster, but not as impressive as some of the other top dogs.

Their goaltending is solid, but not stellar. Their defense is their strongest asset, led by team captain Chris Chelios and Derian Hatcher, which should help prevent any hemorrhaging that could occur if Rick DiPietro or Robert Esche face too much rubber. As for their offense, the usual suspects: Mike Modano, Keith Tkachuk, Bill Guerin – solid players but compared to the super-scorers on other squads, the US team is a little weak offensively.

USA is at +800 to win gold, but they probably won`t see the podium. The best realistic outcome for this aging squad is probably a bronze.

The Czech Republic

If any team were going to dethrone the champs, it would be the Czechs.

They have a proven goaltender in Dominik Hasek who’s already won gold for his country in Nagano. The defense is solid with experienced players like Tomas Kaberle, Pavel Kubina and Marek Malik who is the proud owner of the prettiest shootout goal of the NHL season.

As for their offense, it’s no less than fabulous. Jaromir Jagr, Vaclav Prospal, Robert Lang and Martin Straka are some of the stars, so be prepared for highlight reel performances from this team. Should a game get to shootouts, beware. The Czechs have an experienced blue line, fantastic goaltending and their only fault is that they don’t have any defensive forwards, which could create turnovers.

The Czech Republic is at +275 to win gold. This team is a serious contender for a medal. If they don`t overtake the Canadians, they should at least come in a close second.

Russia

The Russians are also podium chasers.

They have solid goaltending with Evgeni Nabokov and Ilja Bryzgalov, but they could’ve used the assistance of Nikolai Khabibulin, who is out with a strained MCL. The Russians have a terrific defensive squad, with experienced players like Darius Kasparitis and Sergei Gonchar as well as talented newcomers like Andrei Markov. Their offense is even better with two of the top scorers in the NHL Ilya Kovalchuk and Alexander Ovechkin.

Russia’s goaltending isn’t as good as it could’ve been with Khabibulin and like the Czechs, they have very skilled finesse players, but forwards who don`t play defense. Just look at Kovlachuk’s –12 rating in the NHL.

The Russian team is at +500 to win gold. They`re another serious contender, but probably don’t have the goods for gold.

Slovakia

Slovakia’s major problem is goaltending.

The only goalie with NHL experience is Peter Budaj, a backup for the Colorado Avalanche, and his experience is limited at best. On all other fronts, the team is spectacular with blueliners Zdeno Chara and Martin Strbak and a ridiculously talented offense. The Hossa brothers, Peter Bondra, Marian Gaborik, Pavol Demitra, Miroslav Satan and rookie sensation Marek Svatos fill out the offensive roster and will be impressive to watch under international regulations.

Slovakia is at +1000 to win gold.

Slovakia will finish on top, although probably not a contender for gold. They could definitely go home with bronze, but their goaltending will be a major issue.

Sweden

Sweden had a well-rounded team, with all the necessary components for a podium finish, but after some major losses in their lineup, gold is pretty much out of the question.

Superstar Peter Forsberg might not be in the lineup until the quarterfinals due to a groin injury, but there are enough offensive strikers to make up for it early on. But if he doesn`t play at all, consider Sweden out of contention. Marcus Naslund will also be seriously missed having been sidelined by a nagging groin injury, and his replacement Tomas Holmstrom just isn’t cut from the same cloth.

The Swedish defense is decent, but once again, the loss of Kim Johnsson to a concussion and Niklas Kronwall to a torn knee ligament will hurt the team’s chances.

Sweden is at +800 to win gold.

They do have the likes of Daniel Alfredsson, P.J. Axelsson and the Sedin twins up front and goalies Mikael Tellqvist and Henrik Lundqvist to protect the fort, but the injury-depleted Swedish squad would be happy with bronze.

Finland

The runner-up in the World Cup of Hockey in 2004, is another medal contender that’s been run out of contention by injuries.

The most notable missing piece is goalie Miikka Kiprusoff who’s withdrawn to avoid further aggravating an injury. Along with Kari Lehtonen’s absence, it leaves the Finnish net open to snipers.

Their blue line also took a major hit with the loss of Joni Pitkanen and Ossi Vaananen, but still boasts names like Aki Berg, Sami Salo and Teppo Numminen, all of whom will make a solid defensive contribution. The Finnish forwards are their strongest features with regulars like team captain Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Olli Jokinen and Jere Lehtinen.

Finland is at +1500 to win gold. They probably won`t finish higher than fourth, but they could cause upsets should the team gel.

Germany, Switzerland, Latvia, Italy and Kazakhstan

Germany would’ve been more of threat had they not lost their two top players, Marco Sturm and Jochen Hecht, to injuries. They do have Olaf Kolzig in nets and a few other NHLers on their roster, but aren’t experienced or strong enough to do any real damage in Turin. Germany is listed at +8000 to win gold.

Switzerland has good goaltending with David Aebischer and Martin Gerber but the only other NHLer is defenseman Mark Streit. They won’t allow many goals; they just won’t score any. Switzerland is listed at +6600 to win gold.

Latvia is on par with Germany. They have Arturs Irbe in nets and a few other NHLers in Sandis Ozolinsh and Karlis Skrastins, but aren’t a threat yet. They’re still an emerging country in hockey and will only get better with time. Latvia is listed at +8000 to win gold.

Kazakhstan and Italy are in a race to avoid last place and are both listed at +20000.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Olympic hockey

Thanks for the write-up, woy.

I hate to say this, but I like the Russian team. I like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin. And I would have to think that they could be argued as the favorites to win the gold if Khabibulin were able to play.

I don't think the US has enough firepower to outscore teams, and I don't think their goaltending will be good enough to hold other teams down, although their D should be decent.

If my choices for gold are Canada or Russia, I'll take Russia.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I always look forward to Olympic Hockey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

4-0 now Fins, the Swiss look asleep, their Goalie (Gerber of the Hurricanes) is having a horrible game, worst I've seen all year for him.

Sweden has to play the Czechs (who are a fave too) and Canada in their next 2 games, if Gerber fails then Auberscher from Colorado might push him.

Aebischer had a great year in Colorado last year. Really stepped up under a lot of pressure following Roy. I haven't been keeping track of him this year, has his game slipped? I would think under normal circumstances he should be starting over Gerber anyway.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Is Kipprusoff in net for the Fins?

Nevermind, I see that he has withdrawn from the games b/c of injury.

Who is in net for the Fins?
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I don't like the US Goaltending at all, but then again I am biased and think the best US Goltender is on the Taxi Squad....

If I were abetting man, I would take the Czech team.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Is Kipprusoff in net for the Fins?

Nevermind, I see that he has withdrawn from the games b/c of injury.

Who is in net for the Fins?
    No one I've ever heard of. Not watching the game, but that Sweden is asleep at the wheel is surprising. They have a very strong team--on paper at least.

The U.S. roster, good Lord...it could almost qualify for AARP benefits. Canada looks unbelieveably strong, as usual. There's just no single country that can match up, top to bottom, with them.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Yep, you've got to take any team with Hasek, Jagr and Straka seriously. Also, Bluejacket David Vyborny is on the Czech team. Still, head-to-head I'll take Canada.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I think currently the goalie is Fredrik Norrena who plays in the Swedish League, but it could end up being Jussi Markkanen of Edmonton who has been hot and cold this season.

I like when non-NHL players come up big in the Olympics, no matter which team they play for.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Hinges on the Goalie situation, Hasek could carry them as could Tomas Vokoun.. the USA doesn't have the horse in the net, however their PK could be too slow since Chelly and company are as old as I am.

Hasek has to leave in the 1st period vs Germany, Tomas Vokoun takes the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Hinges on the Goalie situation, Hasek could carry them as could Tomas Vokoun.. the USA doesn't have the horse in the net, however their PK could be too slow since Chelly and company are as old as I am.
    WOY, no way I thought you were that old.

Just a fyi on the US Goaltending...as it has been a hot topic in buffalo:

Code:
    Name	Team	GP	GS	MIN	W	L	OTL	GAA	SV%	SO
    Ryan Miller	BUF	29	29	1757	20	7	2	2.25	0.923	0
    John Grahame	TAM	40	38	2282	22	15	1	2.68	0.9	5
    Robert Esche	PHI	26	26	1506	15	6	3	3.15	0.892	0
    Rick DiPietro	NYI	43	43	2394	19	16	4	3.38	0.892	0

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Hasek has to leave in the 1st period vs Germany, Tomas Vokoun takes the spotlight.
    Groin injury?

Turn Off Ads?