Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic hockey

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Re: Olympic hockey

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    NHL Hockey screwed Ted Nolan, bad.
    No matter what he says in public, you have to believe that John Muckler labled Nolan as too difficult to work with. I'm sure Hasek has had his fun with spreading that label around.

It is a shame he hasn't gotten another chance.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tommorows games, Finland can make their dark horse move by trying to take advantage of Hasek's injury.
    Just don't put the Finns on the power play. Eight PP goals in the first two games.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

The Swiss are winning against Canada 2-0 in the middle of the 2nd period, this could be one of the BIGGEST upsets in recent Hockey history.

Canada is taking it from the ref for their rough play.

Le Suisse!!!

I wonder for which team did Janet Gretzky place a bet.

The Canucks were something like 0 for 22 on power plays in this game.
    I'm not a hooligan. I'm a Reds supporter.

Hooray Beer!

What time do/did the Americans play today?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    What time do/did the Americans play today?
    They are on live on NBC right now. Still scoreless late in the 1st period.

Thanks!

The score is tied 1-1 after Two periods of play.

What's the Americans biggest deficiency? They seem to be really hard-working... do we just not have the pure goalscorers?

What's the Americans biggest deficiency?
    Slower old defense that can't play as many games in a short time as the other teams plus goalies that can't steal the games puts pressure on the offense to perform beyond their skill level night in and night out, so in short low scoring games might be he Americans shortcoming.

Slower old defense that can't play as many games in a short time as the other teams plus goalies that can't steal the games puts pressure on the offense to perform beyond their skill level night in and night out, so in short low scoring games might be he Americans shortcoming.
    This USA team might as well have been put together by the same folks who decided that going with old, slow, used-to-be-good players was a great idea for the Pittsburgh Penguins this year. Minus Crosby of course.

They're not being out-worked, but they're being out-skated by faster better puck-handlers who, unlike the US, have the ability to consistently create high-level scoring chances.

Watching the first two periods today, you just knew that the Swedes were going to break through eventually. And after watching the second consecutive game of an almost completely ineffective power play, I have little hope that team USA can come back to get the final point they need.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

In the 3rd period, Laviolette wanted the defense to join the attack and they just couldn't get there. All the Swedes had to do was beat the forecheck and they'd bust out of the zone every time. It left the U.S. in the position of having to score on one-timers, which isn't going to happen too often with a guy like Lundqvist in the net.

DiPietro did all he could, but the Swedes got too many quality scoring chances and finally cashed in on a rebound when the U.S. defense couldn't manage to cover the shooter and an off-side poacher.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

And after watching the second consecutive game of an almost completely ineffective power play, I have little hope that team USA can come back to get the final point they need.
    The offense has one true go to guy and that's Modano, he's a player who can create something out of nothing, they US needs more players like that in these type of games, all that extra ice and not many true magical centers,

The offense has one true go to guy and that's Modano, he's a player who can create something out of nothing, they US needs more players like that in these type of games, all that extra ice and not many true magical centers,
    From what I saw, Rolston was the best forward on the ice for Team USA. Both Gionta and Gomez are super skaters but even though Gionta has put up 33 NHL goals this season, I question whether anyone on the ice (including Modano) has finishing skills anywhere near the best of the rest of the world. Modano used to, but I don't think he's been that Mike Modano for some time. He can still distribute the puck well, but he's passing it around to guys that aren't truly talented goal scorers.

But the real issue is that the US simply doesn't have those top-tier guys to choose from right now, so I was probably a little harsh on the composition comment. Rolston (17th) and Gionta (29th) are the only two guys on the team USA roster who rank in the top 30 NHL point scorers. Heck, the 4th highest scoring Center in the NHL (Crosby) isn't even on Team Canada's roster. That's not a problem the US has right now.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

He can still distribute the puck well, but he's passing it around to guys that aren't truly talented goal scorers.
    Exactly, I see the same thing, and then there is no one who is taking the game like Selani is for the Fins.

The problem in the upcoming games (aside from seedings) is the defense will be real tired if they can't get the offense to provide a larger lead in a game to help stretch the bench a bit and get some wind for the bigger and the older guys. The next round will be even more taxing.

Turn Off Ads?