Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Olympic hockey

Re: Olympic hockey

The US is out of the tournament as Finland wins 4-3. Finland will face the winner of Canada-Russia in the semifinals. Sweden beat Switzerland 6-2 and will face the winner of Czech Republic-Slovakia in the semis.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Is DiPietro really the best goalie in this entire country? If so, that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Is DiPietro really the best goalie in this entire country? If so, that's sad.
    The loss is in no way the goalies fault, ineffective defense and a putrid power play plus odd man rushes doomed this team, blaming it on the goalie is like blaming a pitcher for losing 3-2.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The loss is in no way the goalies fault, ineffective defense and a putrid power play plus odd man rushes doomed this team, blaming it on the goalie is like blaming a pitcher for losing 3-2.
    That short-handed goal he gave up was bad. Nine GA in two games is not good. Good goalies don't do that.

That short-handed goal he gave up was bad. Nine GA in two games is not good. Good goalies don't do that.
    He didn't play yesterday. That was the Esche

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    He didn't play yesterday. That was the Esche

I stand corrected. Neither are very good, then.

The Swiss lost 6-2 and their Goalie is damn good, one of the bst in the world this year.

Special teams means so much and that include PK's as well as PP, but the USA blew it, they cut their own throat with bad penalties in the 3rd and they were slow and sluggish in the 1st.

Yet both start in the NHL and the Finnish goalie backs up the Esche in Philly.

DiPietro almost single-handedly kept the U.S. in the game today. The Finns were taking free shots right in front of the net and an average good goalie would have let six or seven by him in the first two periods.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Blame the goalies for those losses? Yeesh. Tough crowd.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    DiPietro almost single-handedly kept the U.S. in the game today. The Finns were taking free shots right in front of the net and an average good goalie would have let six or seven by him in the first two periods.
    Plus the Russian team leads all teams in goals and players who can create a game out of nothing, 2 of their goals yesterday were shorthanded rushes... it's hard to beat the Russians even up, other ways are just torture.

DiPietro had the short-handed goal shot lined up, but then it deflected off his own defenseman's stick blade.

The US just wasn't very good.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I want to see Russia-Canada. That one looks epic. But those Finns are going to be tough to beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    DiPietro had the short-handed goal shot lined up, but then it deflected off his own defenseman's stick blade.

The US just wasn't very good.
    That's the nub of it.

Though I also get the feeling that the cancellation of the 2004-5 NHL season had an effect on this tournament. A lot of the Europeans spent last year playing together in smaller leagues in their home countries. IMO, it made it easier for the Finns to enter this tournament and play inside a tightly-controlled system. Clearly countries like Finland, Slovakia and Switzerland showed up and outperformed expectations while playing some highly-organized hockey. The Russians and Canadians and Czechs have some wildly creative players so it enables them to counter. The Swedes are a bit of a flair/organization hybrid. The U.S. lacked cohesion and flair. It may have been the best forechecking/work-the-corners team in the tournament, but dogged determination doesn't win in international hockey. Either the U.S. needs to come back with a better skating team or it needs to implement a working system. Herb Brooks did both with the 1980 team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    That's the nub of it.

Though I also get the feeling that the cancellation of the 2004-5 NHL season had an effect on this tournament.

Very interesting observation, M2, and one I hadn't thought of. Very good point.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?