Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hot Stove League show report

Hot Stove League show report

Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-15-06. Marty was the host tonight and he talked about the Reds signing Tuffy Rhodes and Quintin McCracken to minor league deals.

After commercial, Marty said that Bong cleared waivers and was assigned to LOU and invited to ST. Tomorrow the pitchers and catchers will report for physicals and the first workout will take place on Saturday. They had problems with the first caller and Matt saved the day (Nice job, Matt!) but the caller's cell broke up.

The next caller asked who was taken off the 40 man roster for the two new signees. Marty didn't know. (No one since they were signed to minor league deals. So nice that the Voice of the Reds is up to date on these transactions)

The next caller asked where they were going to play the WBC games at. Marty said they would be played all over the place and then when they get down to the last few games it will be in places like San Diego. The caller expressed concern about players being injured. Marty agreed but said that's a concern for every club that has players there. He said most clubs aren't happy about this but MLB is and that's what counts. Marty likes the concept but doesn't know if it will be a long lasting thing and doesn't know how good it will be for the game. The caller asked if Marty would like Joe and Steve in the booth with him during games. Marty doesn't like the 3 men in a booth concept very much.

The next caller said he was concerned about Jr. playing in the WBC. Marty said it's a concern but there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. He wants to play, they want him to play and you have to live with it. The caller then asked about the Reds going after a closer. Marty said they were going to go with what they have and perhaps a guy like Coffey can be the closer.

After commercial, Marty mentioned Opening Day tickets will go on sale Saturday morning at 9 a.m. and the rest of the games will go on sale at 9:30.

The next caller said he felt the bench has really been handicapped in the past few years since the players were so one dimensional. He thought the veteran acquisitions were good but worried there may be too many vets and not enough kids. Marty said that the ownership was approved so late in the off season they really don't have a lot to choose from. He said they give Narron more flexibility off the bench. The caller said everyone is picking the Reds last and wondered if they were that bad. Marty said that they may not be as bad as people think. He said people haver to be realistic and he has never been as optimistic about Reds' ownership as he is now.

The next caller asked about Jr.'s health. Marty said he is healthy and excited about the WBC.

After commercial the next caller asked who was carrying the WBC. Marty said he thinks ESPN will be carrying some of them.

The next caller asked if the Reds could sign Jeff Weaver and Marty said the Angels signed him. Marty thought it would have been a bad idea to sign him. The caller asked about Paul Wilson and Marty said that he might be ready to pitch the first week of the season. The caller asked who would be the Opening Day starter and Marty said it probably will be Harang. The caller said he thinks another big trade will happen before the beginning of the season since they are signing all those OFers. Marty disagreed that Kearns and Pena will be traded and thinks Pena doesn't have much trade value.

After commercial, the next caller asked what Marty thought about Pena and he thinks they should give him a shot to play every day. Marty said that he would like to see a little more effort out of him in ST to improve defensively. He said if he's content to be a one dimensional player then shame on him.

The next caller asked what are the chances of the OF fences being moved back. Marty said it would be a major undertaking because of the way it's built.
    The next caller asked about any free agent pitchers out on the market that are at least #2 pitchers. Marty said not to his knowledge.

The next caller said he thinks Pena has vision problems cause he did a lot of the same things when he was playing. Marty said that he gets his eyes checked every year and he's just a bad OFer.

The next caller asked who puts out the effort to get better and if the Reds would have better baserunning this year. Marty said that you have to have players with baseball sense and more emphasis will be placed on small ball. He said if you don't have the talent other teams have you have to play more small ball.

(Gee, if you listened just to this show you would never have known Adam Dunn signed a multi-year deal with the Reds. Guess that doesn't qualify as news but signing Tuffy Rhodes does. )

Thus endeth the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-15-06. So let it be written. So let it be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hot Stove League show report

Mentioning the Dunn deal might make Marty angry

Thanks Chip
    Go Gators!

Thanks alot Chip have been waiting all night to read this.

I have a question, and I'm not trying to be funny.

Does anyone really think that WMP does not TRY to become better in the field as Marty alluded to? Because, personally, I don't believe that for a minute. I'm sure he wants to improve.

And thanks, Chip!

Marty said that he would like to see a little more effort out of him in ST to improve defensively. He said if he's content to be a one dimensional player then shame on him.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

Does anyone really think that WMP does not TRY to become better in the field as Marty alluded to? Because, personally, I don't believe that for a minute. I'm sure he wants to improve.

And thanks, Chip!
    I don't know whether this is true or not, but he has to put in the necessary work if he wants to get better (although there's only so much you can do with someone as limited as he is defensively). I think that's what Marty was alluding to.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    I don't know whether this is true or not, but he has to put in the necessary work if he wants to get better (although there's only so much you can do with someone as limited as he is defensively). I think that's what Marty was alluding to.
    seems like i've heard Grande and Welsch talk about how Pena has the strongest work ethic among all the Reds players, that he nearly forgoes having a personal life in order to train and practice.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Chip, again, well done - this is Must See Read on the redszone.com -
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    seems like i've heard Grande and Welsch talk about how Pena has the strongest work ethic among all the Reds players, that he nearly forgoes having a personal life in order to train and practice.
    The coaches have said as much, also. But why ruin a good rant by Marty with facts?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

As always, thanks, Chip!!!

(Gee, if you listened just to this show you would never have known Adam Dunn signed a multi-year deal with the Reds. Guess that doesn't qualify as news but signing Tuffy Rhodes does. )
    I'll give Marty some slack on this because of all the news that is coming out of the Reds this past month has been pretty hectic... BTW he didn't mention the FO shake-up either and that happened since the last HSL. Anyway, Dunn was on Sports Talk last night and it also seemed that Marty wanted to get as many calls in as possible. It was more interesting that the callers did not talk about Dunn signing... I guess it wasn't interesting to them. I guess I would have preferred that he just discussed all the news that has happened this last week instead of taking calls (which can be pretty )
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    A strong work ethic will only go so far - you have to have skill. But hey, Wilson and Milton have strong work ethics too!!! [so there is still hope]
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone

And thanks, Chip!
    And when did Marty join the coaching staff?I'm sure he believes he is in some capacity.

He said if he's content to be a one dimensional player then shame on him. Marty said that ... he's just a bad OFer.
    I just thought these remarks were kind of nasty... he makes it sound like he's some kind of slacker and doesn't give a damn.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Wily Mo has been on Marty's list for a few years now.
    Go Gators!

Marty's probably mad that Wily Mo didn't rework his contract so he could be sent to AAA. :

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    A strong work ethic will only go so far - you have to have skill. But hey, Wilson and Milton have strong work ethics too!!!
    God save us from any more hard working pitchers.

ravenlord and traderumor, I've heard the same things about Pena's work ethic. That's why it has surprised me that Marty has been on this kick about Pena being a slacker - and he's been on it for a few months now. I don't know who is right and who's wrong. Maybe the coaches and the media are protecting Pena and saying he's a hard worker when he's really not. Or maybe he's so bad that no amount of work can improve his defense and if that's the case, perhaps Marty thinks WMP should be there taking OF practice from sunup to sundown.

I like Wily Mo. But I really don't buy the party line that he is so young and didn't spend much time in the minors so he wasn't able to learn how to field. I know he's spent the better part of 3 years in the minors and someone his age should have been able to be a passable OF by the time he reached the majors. Again, I don't know if he doesn't work hard or he is just incapable of being a good OFer. My money's on the latter. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses for him but the Reds haven't had a full time OF coach from the time Jose Cardinal left till John Moses came in when Miley was fired. I also have read he was very close to Larkin and D'Angelo Jimenez. Perhaps he felt with those two gone, he didn't have the desire to show up early for fielding practice. Being 20 some games out of 1st probably didn't help matters much. Perhaps having a regular position will help him out. He's not any worse out there than Manny Ramirez.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?