Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jayson Stark tells us what we already know...

Ex-Tree

Jayson Stark tells us what we already know...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...son&id=2330477

Most Unimproved Teams (NL)
    1. Marlins
    2. Astros
    3. Reds
    So what's the Marlins' new marketing slogan? "Come watch us pack for Vegas?" ... "Only four more days until Dontrelle pitches again?" ... "Anybody who can correctly tell Renyel Pinto from Yusmeiro Petit wins free season tickets?" ... "Where in the world is Jeff Conine?" ... It's a sad little tale, all right, for a team that just wants a place to play where the humidity is below 180 percent and a few of those luxury-box dollars they rake in don't have to be deposited in the local NFL owner's checking account. As fire sales go, by the way, the Marlins held themselves a very respectable closeout auction, if you're only measuring quality and quantity of prospects. But as baseball teams go, this one won't be real picturesque. Just for reference sake, the record for the biggest one-season plummet in wins (non-strike-year division) is 56, by Connie "Everything Must Go" Mack's equally clearance-minded 1914-15 Philadelphia A's. The Marlins would need to lose 136 games to break that one. Even this team can't pull that off.
    Last edited by Rex Argos; 02-15-2006 at 05:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jason Stark tells us what we already know...

He must have forgot the Reds acquired Williams and Womack.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

What? The Astros? No way. Their annually in the pennant race, and will be forever.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

We need some positive Gammons/Reynolds hype like they do every spring. Don't worry its coming. Gammons loves Junior Griffey, Dunn, etc.

I don't think the Stros are in that bad of shape and I'd think that perhaps they are on the list simply because of Clemons and Bagwell...which makes no sense at all...Bagwell only played a handful of games last year and even though Clemons is superb he didn't fair too well in the post season last year...and I still think Clemons will be back with the Sros by midseason.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

The headline should have read ..."Jason Stark tells us what we already knows..................................(which means nothing)"

Stark is a former beat writer from Philly who nobody liked. And still nobody likes him even if he is from ESPN.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Re: Jayson Stark tells us what we already know...

I disagree with him on that. I think the Reds have and will continue to make dramatic improvements. Sure, we still have the same team but the front office is much improved so far over last year and the ownership is worlds ahead of last year. While the team hasn't changed much, the leadership has.

Castellini/Krivsky over Linder/O'Brien is a major improvement. Of course, since neither of them will bat or pitch this season (even though some of Krivsky's spring training invites makes me think he may play a few innings in the OF this spring) it really isn't something that can be measured in any meaningful way.

Reds fans are just going to have to admit 71-91 is more likely than 91-71 though progress in the minors with some of DanO's pitchers and Krivsky making moves to bolster the team for the future, will in fact, make me a happy man.

Re-organization years aren't fun, some unpopuler moves will be made and people will groan. But the payoff is something that wasn't going to happen under Lindner, a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Reds fans are just going to have to admit 71-91 is more likely than 91-71 though progress in the minors with some of DanO's pitchers and Krivsky making moves to bolster the team for the future, will in fact, make me a happy man.

Re-organization years aren't fun, some unpopuler moves will be made and people will groan. But the payoff is something that wasn't going to happen under Lindner, a chance.
    Never, Never, Never. The Reds chances of making the Playoffs maybe below 30% but my hope won't stop until they are 10 games out with 5 games to go. The Cards are the team to beat and everyone else in the Division has Issues and injuries will be a big factor. Now that Gully is gone, who I have blamed for some of the pitching woes for the Reds, lets see if Vern Ruhle and make an impact which I think he can and pitch to contact has finally left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    What? The Astros? No way. Their annually in the pennant race, and will be forever.
    just because your on the most unimproved list doesnt mean you arent good. just not improved if nyy did nothing for 4 years they would be unimproved but still 30wins better than cincy

Turn Off Ads?