Turn Off Ads?

Thread: San Diego Padres Claimed pitcher Jason Anderson off waivers from the New York Yankees

San Diego Padres Claimed pitcher Jason Anderson off waivers from the New York Yankees

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
    San Diego Padres Claimed pitcher Jason Anderson off waivers from the New York Yankees; designated Kenny Baugh for assignment.
    Does anyone have any information on Baugh? Would he be worth adding to our 40 man roster?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: San Diego Padres Claimed pitcher Jason Anderson off waivers from the New York Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions
    San Diego Padres Claimed pitcher Jason Anderson off waivers from the New York Yankees; designated Kenny Baugh for assignment.
    Does anyone have any information on Baugh? Would he be worth adding to our 40 man roster?
    Hopefully WayneK's done searching for diamonds in the dumpster behind Wal-Mart.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Re: San Diego Padres Claimed pitcher Jason Anderson off waivers from the New York Yankees

http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASAp...ayer_id=408297
    | Kenny Baugh 34 | P Current Status: Active

Full Name: Kenneth Dwight Baugh
    Born: 02/05/1979
    Birthplace: Beaumont, TX
    Height: 6'4" Weight: 195
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    College: Rice
    MLB Debut: ---

---

0-0

Photo Gallery
    G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    2005 No Major League Stats Available
    Career No Major League Experience

Biography:
    Graduated from Lamar High School in Houston in 1997...Selected by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 70th round of the June 1997 draft, but did not sign...Elected to return for his senior season after being selected in the fifth round by the Oakland A's in the June 2000 draft...Resides in Houston, TX during the off-season.

2005 Career Highlights: By Year: yyyy 2005 2004 2003

The former first-round pick set a career high and shared the team lead at Triple-A Toledo with 12 wins. His 3.38 ERA led the Mud Hens and ranked fifth among International League starters. He topped 150 innings in a season for the first time in his pro career.

This is from the MLB.com 2001 draft profile.
    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASAp...t_search=baugh
    Pick Team Player School Pos. B/T Ht. Wt. DOB Class

11 DET KENNETH D BAUGH
    HOUSTON, TX RICE U/
    TX RHP R/R 6'4" 195 2/05/1979 4YR 56K

COMMENT: LONG FRAME, TALL. HIGH LEG KICK WITH DELIVERY. HIDES BALL WELL. EFFORTLESS ARM WITH DECEPTION IN DELIVERY. CAN REALLY PITCH. FASTBALL SNEAKY-QUICK WITH LATE TAIL. CIRCLE CHANGE WITH EXCELLENT DECEPTION AND LATE LIFE. EXCELLENT MOUND PRESENCE WITH SOLID MAKE-UP.

I view this as a question of relative value. Is there someone currently on the 40 man roster, especially a pitcher, who is less likely to benefit the club than Baugh? I don't know enough to speak intelligently on Baugh, but I like the few numbers I see posted above. After Hancock, Hudson, Nelson, and Bong were shown to be held in low regard by the rest of the league (i.e., they cleared waivers), I wonder how many other 40 man members could be moved off the roster in place of better talent.

I'd pass on this guy.
    Go Gators!

Here's some Rotoworld information on Kenny Baugh. I don't know who I'd DFA from the Reds' 40 man to pick up Baugh, but I'd almost prefer this guy over Germano given what I see from him last year in AAA.

Padres designated RHP Kenny Baugh for assignment.
    The Padres gave up a relief prospect to acquire Baugh from the Tigers when they were going to designate him for assignment a couple of months ago. There's a good chance that he'll clear waivers, and if it happens, he'll be invited to camp to compete for a job in middle relief.

Pitching
    Club Class GS IP W L SV ERA WHP R ER H BB K CG SO
    Toledo (INT) AAA 28 165.1 12 8 0 3.38 1.33 72 62 159 60 107 1 1

He can pitch at a decent level (AAA) I see no reason at all, for the Reds not to swoop in a test him out. Who do we actually lose if we add him? Womack? its a gamble with maybe a very benificial return.

Now if Sammy Baugh's available.......he can toss a country mile...
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?