Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Davis has officially resigned at IU...

Mike Davis has officially resigned at IU...

Announcement is tommorow. Not sure if he is going to finish the year or not.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...vis/index.html
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Davis has officially resigned at IU...

Davis is staying through the end of the year. Gotta figure Steve Alford is the favorite to replace him.

Eddie Sutton also resigned form OK State tonight, his son Sean signed a 5 year deal to take his place.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Andy Katz on SC just said that sources close to Alford indicate that Alford would take the IU job if offered to him, but would not participate in an interview process with other candidates.

Being a Hoosier fan, I wouldn't mind Alford, but I can't imagine what Iowa fans are thinking right about now. Not a good time for this when your team is leading the pack in the Big Ten.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc
    Andy Katz on SC just said that sources close to Alford indicate that Alford would take the IU job if offered to him, but would not participate in an interview process with other candidates.

Being a Hoosier fan, I wouldn't mind Alford, but I can't imagine what Iowa fans are thinking right about now. Not a good time for this when your team is leading the pack in the Big Ten.
    Nothing like Alford starting off with an attitude huh? If he wants to be arrogant about it I hope IU tells him to get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Nothing like Alford starting off with an attitude huh? If he wants to be arrogant about it I hope IU tells him to get lost.
    I can kinda understand Alford's perspective here...imagine Alford interviewing for the IU job, not getting it, and then coaching the next season at Iowa with everyone knowing the above. That would be ugly.

On the flip side, it makes no sense whatsoever from the perspective of IU. IU would have to interview nobody and simply offer Alford the job...or...IU could call a bunch of people in for interviews, decide nobody stacks up to Steve, and then call him into town to sign his contract. Neither option seems very likely. Alford isn't a good enough coach to cause IU to blow off the entire search in order to hire him.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Dana Altman is the man IU should choose.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    Dana Altman is the man IU should choose.
    He's on UC's list, along with Karl Hobbs.

I've never understood why Altman hasn't been scooped up.

I wonder if Illinois offered him before they went with Weber?
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

All the Indiana message boards are saying Matta would leave OSU for IU if offered. Says it's his dream job.

I can't see that happening at all. OSU actually is a better all around school as far as facilities, alumni, fan base, $$ than IU. No way Matta leaves with Oden, Cook, Conley coming in.

I'd hire Alford if I was IU, even without interviewing.
    Matta = Really good

During a Big Ten conference call with the media on Monday, Davis said that he thought Indiana fans would be happier "with one of their own," meaning someone who played for the Hoosiers.
    No, Mike.

We'd like to have a coach who accepts responsibility, rather than constantly blaming your players, fans, and uttering absolutely ridiculous drivel to the media.

For the record, I am not a Bob Knight apologist at all.

It was time for him to go, as well. But that is another story.

Alford isn't a good enough coach to cause IU to blow off the entire search in order to hire him.
    Exactly.

IMHO, Iowa is in no better shape now than they were under Dr. Tom Davis, who much like Gene Keady, never received the credit he deserved.

I certainly hope that the next I.U coach will be the best available, not merely just "one of their own."

Per Foxsports.com.

It's about time Davis left Indiana
    Story Tools: XML
    Print Email Blog This
    Jeff Goodman / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 1 hour ago

It's about time the Mike Davis era is over.

According to a source close to the situation, the Indiana coach will announce on Thursday that he is stepping down at the end of the season ó his sixth as the Hoosiers head coach.

Let's be honest. Davis didn't miss Saturday's loss against Iowa because he was sick with the flu. He missed it because he was sick of the criticism. He couldn't handle it any longer.

"I know he wasn't sick against Iowa," said a source close to the Indiana program. "He just didn't show up."

It was only a matter of time before Davis and Indiana parted ways. It was never a good marriage ó and the divorce is finally here.

"I just think Indiana needs to have one of their own," Davis said earlier this week. "They need to have someone that has played here, so they can embrace him. And they need that. I'm not upset about it, I'm not disappointed. I just think they need that."

Mike Davis will announce soon that he will resign as Indiana coach after the season ends. (Darron Cummings / Associated Press)

Hoosiers fans would welcome back legend Steve Alford. They'd probably take Bobby Knight back in a heartbeat. Dan Dakich, Randy Wittman or even Jim Crews would be welcomed with open arms.

They'd probably even be all right with Uwe Blab at this point.

Davis never really endeared himself to those in Bloomington despite one of the most successful rookie campaigns ever and the best three-year start in Indiana history. He trashed Tom Coverdale, George Leach and the rest of the overachieving seniors right after being knocked out of the NCAA tournament in Boston a few years back.

He didn't even attempt to recruit Lawrence North (Ind.) standout Greg Oden ó the best player in the land.

Davis convinced Cem Dinc, a 6-foot-10, 250-pound import who was ready to go to prep school, to come to Indiana on the premise that he would see extensive time at shooting guard. A 6-foot-10, 250-pound big man? C'mon.

The bottom line is you just can't trust Davis' sincerity.

He took Darryl Pegram, a former player, on the word of a former assistant. Shortly after arriving in Bloomington, Davis realized Pegram wasn't good enough and barely spoke to him. Not only that, he wouldn't meet with Pegram after the forward decided he wanted to transfer out of the program.

He's gone through assistant coaches like some people go through toilet paper. Jim Thomas was basically forced out. Ditto for Ben McDonald. Thad Fitzpatrick departed to become a high school principal.

Davis could have gotten Aaron Gray away from Pittsburgh. Gray's father admitted as much, but Davis never made the call and the 7-footer has become one of the nation's top big men.

Juan Palacios was ready to commit to Indiana, but Davis abruptly stopped recruiting him. "One day he's saying he's the next Jared Jeffries and the next he stops calling," a source close to Palacios said. "Palacios wanted to go to Indiana. It wouldn't have taken much." But through all of the misses, this year's edition in Bloomington started off 10-2. The Hoosiers were a fixture in the Top 25 and climbed as high as No. 9 at one point. Davis' job appeared to be safe.

Then came the team's recent slide in which the Hoosiers, now 13-9 and 5-6 in Big Ten play, have lost six of their last seven ó including the setback to Iowa in which Davis never even took the court and gave it the old "college try" to coach his team.

You know. The game where he was too "sick" to coach.

Davis looked safe with his core of Marco Killingsworth, D.J. White and Robert Vaden, even after the last two seasons in which the Hoosiers finished 29-29 and watched the NCAA tournament on television.

But now he's losing games ó the most recent a setback to Penn State on Wednesday night ó and also his players.

"Less than half of the team is behind him," said the source. "But the players that matter don't like him."

There's some sympathy for having to follow in Knight's footsteps, but let's face it: Davis was fortunate to have one of the best college coaching jobs in America for the past six years. His credentials didn't exactly support his hiring. Two years as an assistant at Alabama and three under Knight.

However, Davis led his team to the national title game in 2002 and that quieted his critics. That seems like an eternity ago. Now, Davis has five regular-season games left after Wednesday night's matchup at Penn State. Then comes the Big Ten tournament and either the NCAA tournament or the NIT.

Mercifully, then, it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc
    I've never understood why Altman hasn't been scooped up.

I wonder if Illinois offered him before they went with Weber?
    From what I hear on the Northern Iowa message board, Dana's got it pretty good at Creighton. New arena, money, prestige. They treat him like a king there. Most UNI fans are hoping that Iowa snatches him up if Alford goes back to IU. Our coach, Greg McDermott, may be considered for the Iowa job if Alford goes and no UNI fan wants that.

Altman's done a hell of a job this year at Creighton. He lost his best player, Nate Funk, early in the season to an injury and they are right at the top of the Missouri Valley Conference.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I am in the Say no to Alford camp.

Cast the net wide, find the best guy.
    Perhaps a coach who used to coach about 3 hours east by SR 46 to I-74?
    I've been telling everyone at the office to grab Huggins or Kennedy, but no one will listen.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red
    I am in the Say no to Alford camp.

Cast the net wide, find the best guy.
    Perhaps a coach who used to coach about 3 hours east by SR 46 to I-74?
    I've been telling everyone at the office to grab Huggins or Kennedy, but no one will listen.
    I may be one of the only alumni who isn't crying about his firing, but I really just never thought he was such a great coach. He built strong, defensive, athletic, but one dimensional teams. Huggs had many, many upsides, but he has never struck me as a finisher.

But, speaking of Huggs, how about trying to get the guy who gave him fits to come to Bloomington. Bobby Lutz is ready for prime time, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue
    No, Mike.

We'd like to have a coach who accepts responsibility, rather than constantly blaming your players, fans, and uttering absolutely ridiculous drivel to the media.

For the record, I am not a Bob Knight apologist at all.
    Good thing, because that's basically the way Knight acted, too.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Oh, I should add that here in Bloomington the mood is, um...kind of ecstatic.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Turn Off Ads?